Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I will offer 3 examples to start this thread:

1.On an individual level, I regret that Doug Tennapel is a right-wing, Trumpist, homophobic asshole, because The Neverhood is an awesome game, a real dada masterpiece, and I would prefer if its creator didn't totally suck.

2. Another individual example: John Carmack has done amazing work in game engines and the whole middleware scene is pretty much built on the foundation that he laid at id. Unfortunately, his politics are about the most stereotypical reactionary tech-bro shit imaginable.

3. On a company level, there is Nintendo with its union-busting activities, attack-dog behavior toward copyright infringement, and possible (probable?) yakuza ties. But Mario! Zelda!

What are your problematic faves?

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
Jonathan Blow seems kinda like a prick at the very least. That doesn't stop The Witness from being one of the best games I've ever played.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
EDIT: Alright on second thought after reading through this thread I'm not gonna give that person further attention by posting about them

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021
Feel like this topic is just going to be half people to bragging about how smart they are for separating art from the artist and the other half getting mad at them for that and highlighting the problematic elements of the game they love. Not gonna touch this one with a ten-foot pole (except for this post)

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'm sure this thread will be locked soon and probably for good reason, but I do think it offers a unique way to talk about how none of us are ideologically pure, and certainly we support people, either with our time or financially, who do not align with our views. Certainly almost every dollar we spend in this industry goes towards people and/or companies that are deeply immoral.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like this topic is just going to be half people to bragging about how smart they are for separating art from the artist and the other half getting mad at them for that and highlighting the problematic elements of the game they love. Not gonna touch this one with a ten-foot pole (except for this post)

Haven't seen that happen so far. The point is to highlight precisely those cases where separating art from artist is difficult.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
*readies the baseball bat for the first clown to say harry potter*

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
This feels like it will be a dog whistle for those people who DM me every once and a while: "There's a few of us who feel Era is going too far left, but are too afraid to stand up and fight it! Don't you agree?"

No, I don't. Get off your soapbox and out of my inbox, chuds.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at a game rather than caping for person with a history of problematic behaviour, I will say that as much as I love Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, it's still a product of its time, specifically a particular age of online irreverence which isn't necessarily hateful, but definitely lacking in empathy. The most obvious thing is the status ailments all being named after real world diseases.

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like it will be a dog whistle for those people who DM me every once and a while: "There's a few of us who feel Era is going too far left, but are too afraid to stand up and fight it! Don't you agree?"

Wait people legit DM you out of the blue with that? Thats so wierd

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here
I will say that as much as I love Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, it's still a product of its time, specifically a particular age of online irreverence which isn't necessarily hateful, but definitely lacking in empathy. The most obvious thing is the status ailments all being named after real world diseases.
lets not beat around the bush, michael jordan gives hoopz barkley, charles barkleys son, type 2 diabetes

Oct 25, 2017

That is hilarious because this place is center left at its best, it's still neo-liberal as hell and socially it's not amazing at times. Even if I'll give it a ton of points for being better than most places I've been in the web, but that's because of how crazy right wing or "libertarian" so much of it is.

But yeah shit thread that is going to be locked soon if I had to guess.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at a game rather than caping for person with a history of problematic behaviour, I will say that as much as I love Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, it's still a product of its time, specifically a particular age of online irreverence which isn't necessarily hateful, but definitely lacking in empathy. The most obvious thing is the status ailments all being named after real world diseases.

Barkley SUAJ feels quite steeped in 2007-era chan culture, with everything that implies.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
i wish they hadn't replaced felix (from chapo trap house) and dasha (from red scare) in the final cut of disco elysium

edit: i misread the question - maybe not a problematic fave and it was a bit harsh, but the japanese games rant from phil fish at that one con was on point during that time

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Wait people legit DM you out of the blue with that? Thats so wierd

OMG people DM'd you that?

Yep, happened at least two or three times. I don't know whether they saw I'm an older white dude or something, but I've had people DM after I've said more moderate views like I was some NeoGAF spy or something. Like they were trying to mount some anti-woke resistance against the FAR LEFT mods and needed support. lol

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

lmao @ people thinking they'd find solidarity for that stuff with you

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
Congrats that you know how to separate art from the artists/company...

But this is a bad thread giving highlight for awlful people. And of course a lot of people (including me) are hypocrite for sometime to play something from someone/some company that is awlful. But we don't need to shout to rest of the world do we?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, happened at least two or three times. I don't know whether they saw I'm an older white dude or something, but I've had people DM after I've said more moderate views like I was some NeoGAF spy or something. Like they were trying to mount some anti-woke resistance against the FAR LEFT mods and needed support. lol
The worst I've gotten is just someone thinking I'm into Funko Pops.

Which isn't offensive or anything, I'm just not sure why people would think get the idea that I'm into Funko Pops.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
i wish they hadn't replaced felix (from chapo trap house) and dasha (from red scare) in the final cut of disco elysium

edit: i misread the question - maybe not a problematic fave and it was a bit harsh, but the japanese games rant from phil fish at that one con was on point during that time

The Fish rant at least lacked tact. I think Fish in general is a good choice for the thread, considering he seemed to be addicted to putting his foot in his mouth and stirring up drama. Not as bad as some others, but still problematic. Fez is a cool game though.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Wait, that's a thing?!

Oop. Answered.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I couldve sworn we got several threads before about "problematic faves" that went nowhere and eventually got locked. Sometimes good art is made by shitty people. That's not a shocking observation to make lol.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats that you know how to separate art from the artists/company...

But this is a bad thread giving highlight for awlful people. And of course a lot of people (including me) are hypocrite for sometime to play something from someone/some company that is awlful. But we don't need to shout to rest of the world do we?

I don't think there's anything to congratulate here. If anything, it's about highlighting the discomfort we feel about certain games we like, knowing who is behind them.

Bengraven