Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
It's been a while since I've been to DC, but from what I remember, the Natural History Museum was the best.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Air and Space was always my favorite but I haven't been back to DC in a long time. I really wanna go to the african american history museum

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Air and Space with a special emphasis on the Udvar-Hazy center outside of DC. I took a stupidly expensive Uber there and it was worth every dollar. It's massive hangars just full of cool stuff that wouldn't fit in the Air and Space Museum.

airandspace.si.edu

Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

The Udvar-Hazy Center displays thousands of aviation and space artifacts, including the Space Shuttle Discovery and a Concorde, in two large hangars.

1920px-Panorama_of_the_interior_of_the_Smithsonian_National_Air_and_Space_Museum.jpg

2006-12604h.jpg

Edit: Just beaten!

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
Haven't been in ages, but I loved the Earth Science one or whichever it was that had the precious gems and other stones and minerals. Dinos were also fucking cool.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I was in DC just before lockdowns due to the coronavirus struck and managed to check out a few places. I'm surprised at the votes for the Air and Space because that was the one that let me down the most. I was really looking forward to it too since I just finished up my show of year For All Mankind. Maybe it was because it was being renovated, but it felt a little dirty and run-down compared to the Natural History and African-American Museum. The African-American Museum was by far the most amazing in terms of its content and presentation, and I didn't even get to check out the lower floors.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been to the museums in DC since I was a kid. I almost extended my stay this past January since I'm out there every year, but decided not to. I really want to go museum binging after this is all over.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
As an Englishman in his 40's who's never made it over to the states, the smithsonian is one of the places I'd love to visit.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
Air and Space with a special emphasis on the Udvar-Hazy center outside of DC. I took a stupidly expensive Uber there and it was worth every dollar. It's massive hangars just full of cool stuff that wouldn't fit in the Air and Space Museum.

airandspace.si.edu

Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

The Udvar-Hazy Center displays thousands of aviation and space artifacts, including the Space Shuttle Discovery and a Concorde, in two large hangars.

1920px-Panorama_of_the_interior_of_the_Smithsonian_National_Air_and_Space_Museum.jpg

2006-12604h.jpg

Edit: Just beaten!

Ok I didn't see this part. I wouldn't have had the time to get there but yeah this is amazing.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Echoing the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space. One on the Mall is neat but pales in comparison to Udvar-Hazy. I also really like the Portrait Gallery and National History Museums. I hear Natural History is great, but despite living in the area for over a decade I still haven't gotten around to it lol.

Need to try getting into the African American History Museum once we're a functioning society again too.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Either the National Zoo or the American Art Museum. IMO, they're the only two that hold up. The art museum because it's an art museum so it's not dated technologically, the Zoo because the DC zoo is a wonderful zoo.

The Natural History Museum and the Air & Space museum are just, sadly, woefully dated. It's kind of depressing walking through Air and Space now, compared to when I did in like 1989 or the early 90s... And a touchscreen TV telling you about an exhibit was new and fairly thrilling as a 10 year old in 1994. But... a lot of those exhibits haven't been updated or modified, and are still trying to sell the "novelty" of ... a CRT-looking touch screen, at a time when kids have super computers in their pockets.

The best DC museum was the Newseum. Unfortunately it's had to shut down because the building it was renting was sold, and the collection is (from what I understand) moving. I was disappointed by the Spy Museum, I think it'd be great if you went with like ... an 8 year old or 10 year old kid. I know I woudl have LOVED it as an 8 year old. But I went as an adult because I've heard good things and, it was great for kids, but not that good if you're not a kid.

Most underrated museum in DC is the Walter Reid Medical Museum. It used ot be part of Walter Reid, and so you needed ot get clearance to visit it and it was just by appointment only, but it's since moved. It's like a museum of medical history and medical curiosities, and one of the most fascinating museums I've visited. There are dozens of small museums, exhibits, tours, etc., all over DC as well, but for actual government funded museums, I think the Medical Museum is the best.

I haven't been to the African American History Museum, though. The last two times I went to DC it was just being built, and then the last time there was a special event and so it was packed and we skipped it.

Obviously biased because I'm a USPS employee, but the Postal Museum is amazing.

Oh, actually, yeah, I went to the Postal Museum for the first time 4 or 5 years ago and it was great. They also had a neat exhibit on PostSecret, the app/website/whatever, and that was also pretty cool.

Monroe Kelly

Oct 28, 2017
Is this more of an East Coast thing or something? I only know two people who've personally been to a Smithsonian Museum, and they're also the only people I know who've ever been to DC. I figure it might be more common if it's just a spur of the moment thing you can do in an hour or two of travel time.

Anyway, whichever one has Dinosaurs is the right answer.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Is this more of an East Coast thing or something? I only know two people who've personally been to a Smithsonian Museum, and they're also the only people I know who've ever been to DC. I figure it might be more common if it's just a spur of the moment thing you can do in an hour or two of travel time.

Anyway, whichever one has Dinosaurs is the right answer.
What would the west-coast equivalent of the Smithsonian be? Is there even one?

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
National Gallery of Art and National Portrait Gallery. African American History Museum is also super good.
Air and Space is too kiddie centric, I'm hoping the renovation will change that.

Monroe Kelly

Oct 28, 2017
What would the west-coast equivalent of the Smithsonian be? Is there even one?

Not that I'm aware of, anyway.

Balboa Park in San Diego has some pretty cool museums, but they aren't like the Smithsonian's network or anything. It did have a pretty neat Pompeii exhibit come through a few years ago, and it has some rad prehistoric animal displays.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Not that I'm aware of, anyway.

Balboa Park in San Diego has some pretty cool museums, but they aren't like the Smithsonian's network or anything. It did have a pretty neat Pompeii exhibit come through a few years ago, and it has some rad prehistoric animal displays.
As a native San Diegite I love Balboa Park, but just looking at pictures of the Smithsonian museums I don't think ours can really hold a candle to them.