Simba

Nov 25, 2017
And no, they don't need to use the visual style of octopath traveller / triangle strategy / Live a Live or the upcoming Dragon Quest 3 remake.

It needs to use pixel art for characters at the very least so something like Final Fantasy Tactics with low poly backgrounds is ok.

And try to limit your choices to 3.... I know far too many i'd love to be done this way.

This was a tough one for me.

My first choice would be Breath of Fire 2, but this time with a proper English localization!

Second, Phantasy Star 4. I was sad they cancelled that PS2 remake years ago (probably wouldnt have left Japan anyway.)

My final choice is the holy grail of Tales of games that never left Japan... Tales of Rebirth.

What are yours?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Xenogears. I mean just look it it, it's crying out for it.

98gLjNi.jpg

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
EDIT PLEASE STOP QUOTING, IT'S BEEN CLEARED UP

And no, they don't need to use the visual style of octopath traveller / triangle strategy / Live a Live or the upcoming Dragon Quest 3 remake.

It needs to use pixel art for characters at the very least so something like Final Fantasy Tactics with low poly backgrounds is ok.

And try to limit your choices to 3.... I know far too many i'd love to be done this way.

This was a tough one for me.

My first choice would be Breath of Fire 2, but this time with a proper English localization!

Second, Phantasy Star 4. I was sad they cancelled that PS2 remake years ago (probably wouldnt have left Japan anyway.)

My final choice is the holy grail of Tales of games that never left Japan... Tales of Rebirth.

What are yours?
your title is confusing me, what is "What 80's to say... " supposed to mean?

and Breath of Fire 2 is a SNES game, not a PS2 era game

Xenogears. I mean just look it it, it's crying out for it.

98gLjNi.jpg
this is a PS1 game

Last edited:

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I had to read the thread title multiple time to properly understand the question.

My picks would be
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Final Fantasy IV

(I hesitated between Evermore and Secret of Mana, but there's not enough love out there for Evermore. Mana HD2D is something I could see happen already)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
For some reason I had to read the thread title multiple time to properly understand the question.

My picks would be
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Final Fantasy IV

(I hesitated between Evermore and Secret of Mana, but there's not enough love out there for Evermore. Mana HD2D is something I could see happen already)
these are all SNES games, not PS2 games. What is happening here lol

every single game mentioned is either SNES/MD or PS1 and the thread title is asking for PS2-era pixel RPGs (which is weird, granted). Tales of Rebirth being the sole PS2 game brought up here.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Sweet Home would be cool. I like the original but it could use some QOL changes with the item/character management, as well as an expanded scope/story like FF3 or Fire Emblem Echoes.

And of course: Namco × Capcom, but with the QOL changes from the Project x Zone titles to speed things up. I liked the 3ds games but I didn't like how they limited themselves to only use realistic human characters for the playable cast.

Apart from that, maybe some of the PS1 era Atelier or Tales of games.

Edit: I agree that the title is confusing. Maybe adding a comma after the "to" would make it more clear.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
these are all SNES games, not PS2 games. What is happening here lol

every single game mentioned is either SNES or PS1 and the thread title is asking for PS2-era pixel RPGs (which is weird, granted)

Uh... the title says from 80's to PS2 era.

I'd like to see Quintet's RPG modernized, even a remaster would be nice.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
This title is confusing so ill just throw anything here:
I don't think good games need remaster/remakes like the pixel ones from square, i do think they need a performance review since some of the good games of 16/32 bits suffer from frame drops or inconsistences, but other than that, i do enjoy the aesthetic from those 2 gens on rpgs specially.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Title was confusing as well, wish people wouldn't write titles exactly like they speak.

I wouldn't mind a xenogear remake that has a toggle for random combat.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since I didn't put Xenogears in my list, I'm just gonna say that I support every person who picks it.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oohh thanks Nikus because I was confused ahah.

So my answers:
- DQ Trilogy aka IV to VI
- Xenogears
- Golden Sun
- Treasure of the Rudras

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Aug 15, 2022
I think people crying for Xenogear remake just want the game to be finished. It doesn't matter what art sytle it takes.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also have to say, I wasn't hot on the concept of 2DHD remakes, because I still play old games with no issue, but I played the Live-A-Live remake last year and thought it looked lovely, and I appreciated the little QoL updates.
So like, I had always planned to play either the Nes or SNES version of Dragon Quest III, but Live-A-Live made me change my mind, I'm hyped for the remake now.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Xenogears doesn't really work since it's the opposite of 2D-HD but yeah it could do with a revamp.

Pokémon Gold and Silver. I'm serious. It's not happening but I would love it so much.

37qix1qx88m91.png

Lufia The Legends Returns deserve a remake too. Its battle system is REALLY good, the visuals, the ost are top notch. The random dungeons were bad because they followed the same template, but they could redo it easily.

Also Bahamut Lagoon. It's TRPG with Dragon Pokémon it's lovely and there are lots of cool ideas, also never left Japan officially so that could be fun!

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears would be my first choice but I would rather have it just as a remaster. A game that would be great for a 2DHD remake is Beyond The Beyond, really good game that isn't mentioned much.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Lufia Snes games.
Treasure Hunter G.
Vagrant Story.
Star Ocean 2.
Breath of Fire games.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
gamefreak remaking some classic pokémon with it would be an instant buy for me

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
World of Xeen (Might & Magic 4+5)
3D environments but still animated sprites for the enemies. I hope this becomes a trend among CRPGs. Lots of gold to be found in that era and with some slight modernizations most of these CRPGs hold up to modern games.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Robotrek - because as cool as all the quintet games are I want to make robots
Mother - because I've never actually played the first
Bahamut Lagoon - Dragons.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy V - VI
Chrono Trigger
Terranigma
Tales of Phantasia
Sword of Vermillion
Phantasy Star IV
Golden Sun
Sword of Mana

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
Landstalker, Shining Force 1&2, Paladin's Quest, a rebalanced 7th Saga, Lunar 2, Phantasy Star 4, BoF 1... and dozens more.

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
Bahamut Lagoon or Treasure of the Rudras would be my picks. Doubles as them never getting released officially in English and riding that Live a Live wave.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Dragon Force. They can do turn based, rts or even musou now. Brigandine would have been my other answer but they already released a sequel two years ago.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One of the PS1 FF games
Xenogears (if only to revisit disc 2)
Phantasy Star (any really)