• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
1280px-All_Gizah_Pyramids.jpg

(Giza Pyramid complex.)

Until recently, it was believed that enslaved people built the pyramids. Misinterpretations of the biblical book of Exodus and written work by ancient Greek historian, Herodotus, have contributed to this theory. Although the idea that slaves were forced to build the pyramids is captivating, new evidence and research have debunked this long-believed theory. Archaeologists and historians conclude that paid laborers built the famous pyramids.
Hollywood has certainly enhanced the misconception. Cecil B. DeMille's iconic 1956 film, The Ten Commandments, and Ridley Scott's 2014 film, Exodus: Gods and Kings showcase examples of Moses bravely confronting a slave-driving Pharaoh to liberate his people. Images of famished slaves, clad in loincloths, hauling huge bricks while being whipped by their Egyptian overlords is a well-known depiction of how the famous pyramids of Egypt were built.

Historical Context Of Slavery In Ancient Egypt:

Slaves were a constant presence in Ancient Egypt. Beginning with the Old Kingdom (2613 - 2181 BCE), slaves carried out various roles. Some became soldiers while others became scribes. Many slaves were household servants.

The Old Kingdom lasted for about 500 years. During this time, slaves were acquired through wars. After defeating their enemies in battle, the conquered soldiers were captured and transported to Egypt, where they were forced into slavery. This was known as chattel slavery. Other chattel slaves were people found guilty of various crimes whose punishment included losing their freedom. Depending on the crime committed, the length of servitude could last up to a lifetime.

Records of King Sneferu reveal that the king enslaved captives from his campaigns in Nubia, Libya, and Sinai. These foreign-bonded slaves were drafted into the military. In some cases, foreign-bonded slaves could return to their homelands after their service in the military.

In the First Intermediate Period of Egypt (2181-2040 BCE), Egypt was divided between two powers. Het-Nesut ruled Lower Egypt and Waset ruled Upper Egypt. During this era, the inability to pay debts was the main reason why people were enslaved. When debtors were unable to pay, family members, mostly women, were sold into slavery, becoming bonded servants. In the Middle Kingdom (2040-1782 BCE), slaves from Asia attained various statuses, contributing to the community as servants, hairdressers, fieldworkers, cobblers, gardeners, and weavers. The Second Intermediate Period (1782 - 1570 BCE), saw changes in Egypt's slavery. During this time, slaves could become citizens of Egypt.

The most popular era in Egyptian history began with the New Kingdom (1570 - 1069 BCE). It was during this era that the famous pharaohs of the 18th, 19th, and 20th Dynasty reigned including Hatshepsut, Amenhotep III, Akhenaten, Nefertiti, Tutankhamun, Seti I, Ramesses II, and Ramesses III.

Within the New Kingdom, Egypt expanded to become an empire. To sustain these conquests, more soldiers were required. Slaves were captured and drafted from foreign lands. Many were acquired from the Mediterranean Market, which was operated by slave traders who were known to kidnap travelers and sell them on the market. During this period, Egyptian slaves were elevated in status and received more humane treatment than foreign slaves who were often traded or gifted as a reward.

The Myth Of Slaves Building Pyramids:

The myth of slaves building the pyramids is a misconception from the Bible. In the Book of Exodus, found in the Old Testament, it says Israelites were slaves in Egypt. Although the Bible does not mention the pyramids, it became popular belief that the famous structures were built by slaves.

In addition to the Bible, the myth spread through the written work of Herodotus. He was a Greek historian during the fifth century B.C. who traveled throughout the Persian Empire, Egypt, and Scythia. During his travels, Herodotus observed and documented local cultures. He finally settled in Italy where he refined his masterpiece, "The Persian Wars."

In his work, Herodotus wrote that the pyramids were built with slave labor. His writing specifies that 100,000 slaves were used. As a traveler and foreigner to Egypt, it is possible he simply misunderstood. Construction workers lived a short life and suffered from bad health from constant exposure to the sun. That said, they were still free men and ordinary citizens.

Archaeological Evidence Against The Slave Theory:

Graves of the builders who worked on the Pyramids of Giza were first found in 1990. Egyptologist and Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, Zahi Hawass, confirmed the workers were paid laborers based on the location and care shown to bodies as they were prepared for burial. Builders were buried in tombs close to the pyramids, a place of honor, and furnished with supplies for the afterlife. The bodies were not mummified and were found in a fetal position with the head pointing to the west and feet to the east, in accordance with ancient Egyptian beliefs.

In addition, archaeologists discovered remnants of communities on the Giza plateau on the edge of Cairo. The ruins included gallery-style buildings which may have served as barracks for a rotating group of workers.

Some egyptologists theorize the pyramid builders consisted entirely of seasonal agricultural workers. However, written records mention a gang led by an inspector named Merer who traveled all over Egypt to complete various construction projects assigned to them. This evidence confirms some workers, at least this particular group, were part of a professional construction organization rather than only seasonal agricultural workers currently looking for off-season work.

Analysis Of Workers' Living Conditions:

Archeologists estimate about 20,000 laborers in addition to 16,000 support staff worked on the pyramid project in Giza. It was hard work to quarry and haul stone, build ramps, provide food and water, and supervise the worksite. Even with a massive workforce, construction spanned 20 to 30 years to complete a pyramid.

Temperatures in Egypt often reached over 90 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius). With high temperatures and laboring unshaded in the sun, workers wore light fabrics to keep cool. Men wore flax-based linen loincloths held up with a belt. The loincloths extended from waist to knee. Women secured linen sheaths with a shoulder strap.

Administrative documents kept accounts of the food and housing of workers, proving the working conditions to be decent. Animal bones uncovered at the archaeological site display a diet including fish, beef, goat, duck, and sheep. There is also evidence that fruit, dates, honey, cakes, beer, and bread were consumed. With a seemingly balanced diet, workers were well-fed to provide the energy needed for harsh weather and manual labor.

Additionally, workers received medical care. Excavators discovered broken bones that were well set. Skeletal remains show evidence of brain surgery and assistance with birth complications. Even with medical care, the life span of the average worker was 30 - 35 years old.

With harsh working conditions, laborers on the pyramids worked in shifts. Egyptologist, Dr. Hawass, speculates each shift was three to four hours. Although seemingly short, their shifts consisted of heavy lifting and hard labor with stone haulers and setters bearing the brunt of the labor. Water haulers may have worked longer shifts to provide the stone layers with consistent hydration.

Similar to a college town, most residents in pyramid cities were temporary, putting in their time and then moving on. Accompanying part-time residents, permanent staff also lived in the city in houses with stable materials that would last. Amidst the dwellings were bakeries, butchers, produce shops, workshops, supply shops, clothing shops, and storage facilities, to support the daily lives of workers. Mud brick remains of these structures provide evidence of these facilities.
The-bent-pyramid-of-Sneferu.jpg

(Dashur Pyramid of Sneferu.)
The Organization Of Labor:

Writing discovered in the tombs of workers details the division of labor. Workers were divided into units. These units were called phyles tasked with specific assignments and contained up to 200 workers each with a leader to direct them.

Leaders left inscriptions describing their titles and contributions to the project. Titles such as Director of Craftsmen, Decorator of Tombs, and official in charge of one side of the pyramid were among the inscriptions found. Craftsmen weren't the only ones leaving their mark on tomb walls. Carvings from the "supervisor of granaries" and "director of the bakery of workers" were found as a reminder of the support jobs needed to keep workers healthy and thriving.

To keep track of labor, administrators recorded the progression of construction. Similar to modern-day secretaries, administrators kept payroll data, and a list of group leaders. Detailed hieroglyphics were too complicated to be used as everyday paperwork. To assist with quicker record keeping, the hieratic script was used. The hieratic script was an ancient Egyptian cursive writing first used in the 1st dynasty (2925 – 2775 BCE). This form of writing was written in ink with a reed pen on papyrus, making it easier for transport and storage. As groups rotated in and out, graffiti left behind on the walls of tombs announced to future workers who were there before them.

Modern Understanding Of Pyramid Construction:

The most famously visited pyramids are south of Cairo, on the banks of the Nile River in Giza. The three pyramids include the Great Pyramid, the Pyramid of Khafre, and the Menkaure. These pyramids are listed as one of the seven wonders of the world. How the pyramids were built without the use of bulldozers, trucks, and forklifts is a mystery.

Without modern-day technology, Egyptians transported limestone on boats from quarries on the eastern side of the Nile River. In addition to limestone, boats delivered materials such as granite beams from Aswan, gypsum and basalt from Fayum, and timber from Lebanon. Once at the construction site, copper tools in the form of picks and saws were used to chisel large stones into manageable sizes. Copper became an important import for Egypt as a strong and durable metal and a key material in construction.

During construction, a system of sloping brick, ramps, and sand was used to transport stone to higher altitudes as the pyramid took shape. This system is similar to modern-day metal scaffolding.

As Egypt entered the Middle Kingdom, pyramids fell out of fashion. Pharaohs in the New Kingdom chose to be buried in the Valley of the Kings, 300 miles south of Giza. The pyramids were left as colossal reminders of past eras. Without consistent work, the cities at the base of the pyramids were abandoned and left to ruin.

The Legacy Of The Pyramids:

The pyramids are a permanent reminder of the efforts of the skilled laborers and supporting staff. Over time, the idea that the pyramids were built by slaves has been proven to be false propaganda. Although they worked in harsh conditions, skilled craftspeople working on the pyramids were willing participants in creating magnificent resting places for their Pharaohs.

Today, their work has endured thousands of years and is designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. Based on recent discoveries, perhaps Hollywood will be inspired to rewrite history with a new story; a story that reflects the life of an Egyptian citizen who contributed to the great pyramids.
www.worldatlas.com

Were Slaves Used To Build The Pyramids? Debunking a Long-Standing Myth

It is a common misconception that slaves built the pyramids in Egypt. Evidence suggests that the people who built them were actually paid workers

1200px-Rote_Pyramide_%28Dahschur%29_04.jpg

(Red Pyramid of Sneferu.)

The-Black-Pyramid-of-Amenemhat-III-Trips-In-Egypt.jpg

(Remains of the Black Pyramid of Amenemhat III.)

A good round-up of the evidence and prevailing opinion of the archaeological community.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's so fascinating! And really cool and interesting!

For so long the depiction of the pyramids being built by slaves has been etched into the public consciousness. I love discoveries like this

Edit: awww man, for the first time ever on this forum I'm the first post, and I didn't have anything clever or witty to say. Sorry to disappoint, everyone! 😂😭

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
God, this is all fascinating to read about. It's kind of incredible how perceptions of how things happened can circulate for so long, especially through media.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I thought it was well-known that it wasn't built by slaves? Feels like I've known this for years

Deleted member 24854

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Weird, I thought this was known for a long while now. Paid labor, and also an honor. That's what it was they found out it was like last I heard of it in like 2015.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
This has been known and widely accepted in the field for decades. Also Jesus was black and Cleopatra was white.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Recently believed?

This has been known for decades. Pop Culture is assumes it was made by slaves.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
New information for me is that apparently brain surgery was a thing back then…

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Fake news according to Book of Exodus. I remember getting in trouble in school for suggestion otherwise (Christian private school) and got the yard stick pop.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It has been known for a long while, but the myth still presists. More new (at the time) evidence from 2010:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxTeriFc_Xs

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The Discovery Channel / TLC (before they went weird) used to have accurate docs about how they were built.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I read the OP, where is it debunked?

It mentions some of the builders had nice tombs. How many out of 36,000 estimated workers? Maybe the most senior in charge of construction weren't slaves?

It mentions animal bones and concludes they were well fed. Isn't that a leap? I mean, it could be one goat per 20 people, or one per 200?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Like many Americans and kids throughout the world I imagine, my view of the pyramids being built was first formed by Dreamwork's The Prince of Egypt which depicts the story of Exodus and the pyramids being built by slaves. This was my default view for the next 20 years until I just happened to come across a discussion on Tumblr about it which prompted me to do a little more research then "Oh, it was a paid workforce. Yeah, that probably makes more sense."

edited: dreamworks, not disney

Last edited:

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Love your threads Edmond, thanks for putting them together with the thought and care that you do :)!

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Such a remarkable achievement. It always amazes me how people were able to build such structures so many years ago.

OP
OP
Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
I read the OP, where is it debunked?

It mentions some of the builders had nice tombs. How many out of 36,000 estimated workers? Maybe the most senior in charge of construction weren't slaves?

It mentions animal bones and concludes they were well fed. Isn't that a leap? I mean, it could be one goat per 20 people, or one per 200?
See the following for an explanation of how the contracted builders were fed:

For a significant amount of time since the Europeans and their 'Egyptomania' era pyramid building has been traditionally described as a corvee medieval system of forced labour in which peasants labour after a had worked unpaid in the fields of the local lord or had been conscripted by French courts of later ages for road making, a system which had been brutally adapted in the nineteenth century by the European masters of Egypt for the construction of the Suez Canal.

There is no evidence, however, of that same cruel process operating in Old Kingdom times, nor is its application suggested by the intense precision and high levels of organization that were required for the construction of such monuments. For building pyramids and temples entailed the attentions of large numbers of skilled people working over decades with considerable concentration, qualities not readily associated with conscription and bullying coercion.

See Mark Lehner's for a more detailed analysis:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I did not know this was still a standing belief. In the 90s in our Egypt unit we were taught the fact they were not slaves ("an alternative employment opportunity to farming" or something like that) — and that slaves being whipped to push heavy blocks was specifically Hollywood iconography. 🤔

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Fake news according to Book of Exodus. I remember getting in trouble in school for suggestion otherwise (Christian private school) and got the yard stick pop.

But the Book of Exodus doesn't claim the pyramids were built by slaves. It simply claims that Israelites were slaves. The leap from Israelites as slaves to slaves built the pyramids is not from the Bible.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Thank God these myths are being dispelled. Historical myths have a way of lasting way too long.

OP
OP
Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
I did not know this was still a standing belief. In the 90s in our Egypt unit we were taught the fact they were not slaves ("an alternative employment opportunity to farming" or something like that) — and that slaves being whipped to push heavy blocks was specifically Hollywood iconography. 🤔
Sadly it is among the general public.

When people ask me about my ethnic background, conversation inevitably ends up veering towards ancient Egypt with the Pyramids, Sphinx or Tutankhamun the most common. The vast majority of people I've discussed this with still cite the slave theory.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
FML, those workers were taken care of better than most of us are now by our employers.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Weird, I thought this was known for a long while now. Paid labor, and also an honor. That's what it was they found out it was like last I heard of it in like 2015.
Yeah, for some reason I thought studies about this exact aspect came out years and years ago that were widely considered to be accurate. Like, early 2000's or late 1990's at least.

That said, I originally majored in history and we definitely still had some people having heated debates about it in the mid 2010's, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It was just never the main focus of any of our discussions and always popped up as a side argument.

OP
OP
Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
I thought the isrealites even being there was a-myth as well
As far as Egyptian evidence, the Merneptah Stele is the one and only mention of the Israelites in all the Egyptian inscriptions we possess.

merneptah-stele3.jpg

Which reads:

The (foreign) chieftains lie prostrate, saying "Peace." Not one lifts his head among the Nine Bows. Libya is captured, while Hatti is pacified. Canaan is plundered, Ashkelon is carried off, and Gezer is captured. Yenoam is made into non-existence; Israel is wasted, its seed is not; and Hurru is become a widow because of Egypt. All lands united themselves in peace. Those who went about are subdued by the king of Upper and Lower Egypt, Merneptah.

It's not really much to go on.

Feb 24, 2018
But the Book of Exodus doesn't claim the pyramids were built by slaves. It simply claims that Israelites were slaves. The leap from Israelites as slaves to slaves built the pyramids is not from the Bible.
Specifically, the original claim come from Flavius Josephus's Antiquities of the Jews from 93-94 CE (many centuries after the supposed events), who is also famous for writing the The Jewish War (and was a slave himself for a part of his life). His work was for centuries considered the main source for historians about ancient Israel and Biblical figures which then became popularized in art during the Renaissance.
Historical research seems to indicate they were likely not there in great numbers.

Remember the Old Testament/Tanakh was likely a compilation of many stories that had existed through oral tradition for centuries beforehand, many of which may have been intended to be metaphorical rather than literal; parables that were meant to teach you how to live your life. It's possible that the story was meant to be about the Babylonian captivity or was written to help people through that time or was a historical event that has been exaggerated over time similar to how Herakles may have originally been an actual person. There is also the interesting note that the story of Moses also has similarities with the Story of Sinuhe from around 1800 BC.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Specifically, the original claim come from Flavius Josephus's Antiquities of the Jews from 93-94 CE (many centuries after the supposed events), who is also famous for writing the The Jewish War (and was a slave himself for a part of his life). His work was for centuries considered the main source for historians about ancient Israel and Biblical figures which then became popularized in art during the Renaissance.

Historical research seems to indicate they were likely not there in great numbers.

Remember the Old Testament/Tanakh was likely a compilation of many stories that had existed through oral tradition for centuries beforehand, many of which may have been intended to be metaphorical rather than literal; parables that were meant to teach you how to live your life. It's possible that the story was meant to be about the Babylonian captivity or was written to help people through that time or was a historical event that has been exaggerated over time similar to how Herakles may have originally been an actual person. There is also the interesting note that the story of Moses also has similarities with the Story of Sinuhe from around 1800 BC.

All of this. Said it way better than I could haha.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for the detailed explanation

Sep 5, 2021

In fact, several historians believe that there is some truth to the story of Moses.

Here is a comment on this:

First off, let's look at the Bible's claims. I'm sure you know the story: The Israelites are slaves in Egypt, Moses meets god in a bush after running away, God shows his might and frees the Israelites via plagues and splitting of the sea. Then we get the famous Joshua story of the conquest of Canaan.

There is no evidence whatsoever this happened. First off, Numbers states that 600,000 fighting age males left Egypt. You have to assume there's the same amount or close to the same amount of women as men. That's 1.1 million. Now add in elderly, women, and children. The Bible essentially claims 2-2.5 Million people left Egypt and received a revelation from God at Sinai. If this were true, and the Israelites lined up 10 across, by the time the first people got to Sinai, there would still be people in Egypt! Additionally, the population of Egypt was not much more than 4 million at this time based on most estimates. This number is entirely implausible. I should also note that there are over 12 proposed locations of Mount Sinai, (I know Wikipedia isn't an academic source, but this page highlights it very well: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sinai_(Bible) and there are also many proposed locations for the Sea Crossing, with people not even agreeing what sea it is supposed to mean. The traditional view is that it is referring to the Red Sea, but modern scholars have noted that the Hebrew, Yam Suph, should be translated as Sea of Reeds or the Reed Sea and may refer to the Nile Delta and various locations along it. (Kitchen, Kenneth A. (2003). On the Reliability of the Old Testament. Wm. B. Eerdmans. pp. 261–63) .

To make matters worse for biblical literalists, there is no mention of Moses in extra biblical sources until the fourth century BC, long after he is supposed to have lived. There are no known references to Israelites enslaved in Egypt, and certainly not 2 million of them. There is no evidence of a large number of people wandering in the Sinai desert, and Kadesh-Barnea, where they supposedly spent 38 years has no evidence whatsoever. I won't even get started on the conquest, where the dates are all screwed up and at certain times some cities were inhabited and others weren't, and vice versa. In fact, it's ridiculously proven through archeology that the Israelites were Canaanites! There was no conquest of Canaan by millions of people. There are mentions of Asiatics enslaved, and I'll get to that later. There is a group called the Haibru, Apiru, or Haivru (we're not really sure how to pronounce it), which vaguely sounds like Hebrew, or Hebrew in Hebrew, Ivri, who are causing trouble for rulers in Canaan and are even said to have worked on a project of "The Great Pylon of Ramses" (Papyrus Leiden 348) However In The Bible Unearthed Finkelstein notes this group is said to have been all around the Levant, and should be considered more of a status. It's possible some proto-Israelites were apart of this group, but it cannot be known. Moreover, the best evidence that the Israelites weren't in Egypt for 430 years is the Bible itself. Exodus 6:14-6:26 gives genealogies, but they are rather confusing. In simple terms: Moses is the son of Amram, Amram the son of Kohath, and Kohath the son of Levi. That's the genealogy of Moses from Levi to him (from when Israel was in Egypt to Moses's day). In what world is that 430 years? The reason 40 is used so many times in the Bible is because 40 years was considered a generation in that time. The Moses birth narrative is also almost certainly taken from Sargon of Akkad's birth narrative. His narrative is as follows:

My mother, the high priestess, conceived; in secret she bore me
She set me in a basket of rushes, with bitumen she sealed my lid
She cast me into the river which rose over me.

Sound familiar?

There are also no record of the Ten Plagues in Egyptian sources. It's possible it hasn't been found yet, but you'd expect something that big to be found in the sources. The Ipuwer Papyrus has been proposed as evidence for the plagues for its saying of the river is blood, but has been rejected by scholars because it describes asiatics coming into Egypt and is written more as poetry to describe societal distress.

Additionally, the idea that Moses wrote the Torah is refuted by almost every scholar today. In fact, Hebrew did not exist in the proposed time for Moses's life (Schmid, Konrad (2021). The Making of the Bible: From the First Fragments to Sacred Scripture)! The Torah was composed over many centuries and incorporates a lot of editing and traditions. Read more on the documentary hypothesis for this.

Now let's take a look at the positives for the narrative:

The name Moses is an Egyptian name, and not a Hebrew or Israelite name whatsoever. The etymology provided for it in Exodus makes no sense, because there is no reason the princess would know Hebrew and name a kid after a word in the language. The name really means Son of/Born of in Egyptian. This is seen in names like Ramses, Thutmoses, and Ahmose (Born of Ra, Born of Thoth). As you see it is usually precluded by a deity's name. This suggests there probably was someone who had something to do with leading Israelites from Egypt and upon incorporation into the tradition the Egyptian deity's name was removed. Sticking with names; Aaron, Miriam, Hophni, Phinehas (Spencer, John R. (1992). Phinehas, Redmount 2001) and a couple more that have been suggested but not consensus are Egyptian in origin. It's a little weird that this tradition has one family, the main family, all with Egyptian origins. I don't know what scholars think about this, but I would assume the birth narrative that was taken from Sargon of Akkad is an etiology to try to understand why the prophets name is Egyptian.

There are also a people called the Shasu of Yhw attested to in Egyptian sources who resided in Midian, where Moses is said to have spent a long time and discover God. I should note that the term Yhw is a place name not a deity, but it is interesting nonetheless.

(Edit): There is also a Papyrus Anastasi V which describes 2 Canaanite slaves escaping Egypt and going through Succoth and Migdol, two of the cities the Israelites were said to have gone through. This may suggest the route was sort of akin to the Underground Railroad in America.

Additionally, two other details of Moses's life are unlikely to be made up: marriage of a foreign woman and death in enemy territory. Moabites controlled the territory where Moses is said to have died, and it is unlikely a tradition would be made up where he marries a Midianite woman (and we get that nice Midian connection again). Possible, but not likely.

The song of the sea, otherwise known as Exodus 15 is dated to between the 9th and 10th Century BC by some scholars, and some even date it to the 13th through 15th century (Sources: Friedman 2017, Exodus, Wong 2007 Song of Deborah as Polemic). This would make it the oldest text in the Bible. In the Hebrew, it is obvious the difference in style and the sort of older language the text uses. This may be our earliest source for some sort of exodus event. Hosea, dated to the 8th century BC also vaguely mentions the Exodus throughout the book and refers to Moses in 12:13, though not by name. Amos also references the event. This has led scholars to establish there was likely an oral prehistory to the story. (Russell 2009).

Now what you have been waiting for: the Schoarly consensus. I've laid out most of the arguments on both sides.

The scholarly consensus is that while the exodus as described in the Bible didn't happen, there is a good chance there was something sort of similar. A historical basis, per se. There was probably a figure names Moses, with an Egyptian deity prefix who led a group of Israelites out of Egypt to Canaan. (Sources for this statement: Faust 2015, page 476, K. Kitchen's books all agree with this, Friedman 2017 Exodus, Schmid 2021). Faust notes on the page I cited in his book: "While there is a consensus among scholars that the Exodus did not take place in the manner described in the Bible, surprisingly most scholars agree that the narrative has a historical core, and that some of the highland settlers came, one way or another, from Egypt." Schmid says in his book, "Moses was in all likelihood a historical figure." (Page 44). Travel between Egypt and Canaan was frequent, which increases the likelihood of this. The range of people in this exodus varies between scholars, with proposed numbers ranging from the hundreds to multiples of ten thousand. As I said before the song of the sea and the earliest prophetic writings reference the event. There are also a few Hellenistic parallels to the story, most notably Manetho's account preserved through Josephus, a Jewish historian from the first century CE. In simple terms, in his story a priest named Osarseph leads a group of lepers out of Egypt who were causing havoc in Egypt. Upon being banished to the wilderness, the priest changed his name to Moses (this story is told in Josephus's Antiquities of the Jews). There is also a theory that the exodus is a retelling of the Hyksos expulsion, but this has been rejected by scholars due to the dating problems and the fact that the Hyksos were semetic rulers, not slaves who were driven out, not escaped.

In short, the answer to your question is Kind of. Scholars agree there is most likely a historical basis for the exodus, where a smaller group of Israelites escaped Egypt led by a man who had the suffix Moses and came to Canaan. If that's who you think of when you think Moses, then he existed. The plagues almost certainly didn't happen, with people scrambling to natural explanations like the Thera Eruption theory for answers (To summarize there was a big volcanic eruption near Egypt and some of the plagues like river turning red, frogs, lice, livestock dying, kids dying, darkness could've been a domino effect of this. This theory is not really accepted but it is out there). Archeology could not shed light on if, let's say, God Met someone through a burning bush, staffs turned into snakes, God split a sea and some Egyptian officials drowned in it, etc. This is up to you if believe in miracles or not. The historical Moses and his doings are still debated now. But the majority view is that the exodus has a historical basis for it, but it is not what you see in the book of exodus.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
Hmm, you can call it an exercise in semantics or pedantry, but I would not say you can say it is slave-labor free unless the entire production chain is free of it. Were the materials mined and transported by slaves? Was the food that fed the laborers farmed and provided by slaves? Were the funds used to pay the laborers generated by slaves or the slave trade? And so on… Unless the answer to all these are no, I would not say the pyramids were created without slave-labor.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Another fantastic share from Dantes. Thanks! There's no end to how fascinating it is what we can pull from intense discovery over years and years of searching and digging. No less in a freaking desert!

I don't comment much in your shares despite reading them... but let's remember that Prince of Egypt is still a kick-ass movie with some good music and some messed up stuff haha

n0stalghia

Jan 26, 2023
Austria
I thought it was common knowledge that pyramids were built by paid workers, and the constructions were massive enough to influence Egypt's economy on a country-wide scale? Like, a substantial part of the country was working towards the project, like modern governments start crazy big building projects to create enough jobs in the country.

In any case, we learned that in school, so I sure did know that.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Reminds me of a joke I heard recently… I'm butchering it, but the gist of it is:

Some people don't believe that Egyptians built their pyramids. But there are also ancient pyramids in Mexico, and no one doubts who built those.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I thought it was common knowledge that pyramids were built by paid workers, and the constructions were massive enough to influence Egypt's economy on a country-wide scale? Like, a substantial part of the country was working towards the project, like modern governments start crazy big building projects to create enough jobs in the country.

In any case, we learned that in school, so I sure did know that.
You are 100% correct. I think the over 50 crowd were the last to be taught about slaves building pyramids. Those are the minds being blown

OP
OP
Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
You are 100% correct. I think the over 50 crowd were the last to be taught about slaves building pyramids. Those are the minds being blown
It seems to vary from country to country.

My cousins who are in their mid to late 20s in Egypt were taught the contracted workers theory

I'm around the same age as them but in the UK and ancient Egypt wasn't touched upon. Ancient Greece and Rome certainly were though. It wasn't until I did my Egyptology degree in University that I got a true understanding of the history of my motherland.