PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Okay so this has been a bit of a ride. Bear with me.

A couple months ago, I subbed to Netflix to watch something or another. I think the Grimm Fairy Tales anime and something else. It was short lived so we wanted something else to wrap up the month. Oh look, Sweet Home's 2nd Season is up! We enjoyed the first one so we dived in........ Eh, it ended up not being as good as the first, but this isn't about my complaints about one series in particular. Netflix then put up a "Recommended for me" with Hellbound! This one, I really enjoyed....but my wife didn't like it at all. Ah well, can't win them all. Following the good ole algorithm, the next one was "Gyeongseong Creature". Now this one was one we both could really get into. Set during WW2 in a Japan occupied Korean city, it was a scenario we weren't really familiar with and that was part of the fascination. A nice mix being historical supernatural horror mix. We got another season coming later this year, but for now, our sub expired.

Enjoying the horrors of at least 2 of the 3 shows we watched, we decided to look at Prime's and Hulu's offerings. And that......was when the genres shifted. My wife sent me a link with the phrase: "Oh hey, I read this manga!" (I believe it was a manhwa or webtoon)

"Marry My Husband." Oh boy, I thought........and I took the plunge..........

It was a blast. Drama that was serious but still didn't take itself TOO seriously. The acting was phenomenal and a joy to see. And the dubs were really well done. (I know I'm losing a bit by watching it, but that's just how we consume our shows at night. Besides as I said, I think the VAs did a good job). It was also really cool to listen to my wife explain how the show differed and pivoted from the source material! I think I would count this as my "first" since I've not really been one to watch live "slice-of-life" genres before, and thus it still lives rent free in my head, even after we finished it.

Next, we moved on to.......... "Moving". More akin to what we watched on Netflix, it was back in my comfort zone. An interesting 'super powers' set up that's a little more vague in the power sets given to the characters as opposed to those found in American comics or something like My Hero. But despite what I felt was some inconsistencies, I still enjoyed it fine. I hope it gets a second season at some point, but I think this one is older so it might not come to fruition?

It was rather brutal so we decided that we needed a break from the action side of things (we were going to watch The Boys when its season started). So now we're on........... Kiss Sixth Sense. I can already see how it's going to tickle my brain in the exact same way as Marry My Husband after only a couple episodes in lol

Don't have an order in mind on what we'll approach next, so just listing what else we listed under "My Stuff" on Hulu:

Call It Love
Revenge of Others
Crazy Love
Link

If you got any suggestions, feel free to share. If you've seen what I've already seen, I'd be happy to talk (tomorrow, I'm going to bed lol). Or if you have any opinions on what I've listed but haven't gotten to yet, I'll be happy to read!

Hello Snake

Banned
Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I discovered them through Squid Game, but it was really Extraordinary Attorney Woo that hooked me. I've been watching ever since. I find them better than anything on Western TV. I'm currently watching my 26th k-drama. My favorite one is Crash Landing on You. Currently watching The Atypical Family. I only watch with subs, I wouldn't consider watching them dubbed.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Queenmaker was one I really enjoyed on Netflix - some of the more 'serious' revenge/Count-of-Monte-Cristo-type kdramas on netflix veer into melodrama (IMO to their detriment), but I enjoyed the political thriller aspect, without it being 'too' high-stakes.

I also liked My Name (also netflix) but I'm a sucker for some of those revenge/'the departed'-type stories, even when they veer into the....'improbable', lol

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
They're pretty much all I watch anymore. My Mister and Reply 1988 are the best I've seen. Watching Mr. Queen right now and it's fantastic.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Vincenzo is on Netflix. Highly recommend. Also My Name is such a great short show that I think you'll like. Once you fall in deep with kdramas you never really get out lol. It's really why I keep paying for Netflix lol.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
On the topic of dubs, it's always cool when they dub them, but I think the less mainstream stuff never get dubbed sadly. The Netflix originals and stuff on Hulu/Disney it's a safer bet there, but anything that's only on, say, Viki, yeah you're SOL.

Options are good, period. I wish it was better all around overall. What you said about why you consume dubs is valid and I'm with you all the way.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Highly recommend watches

Stranger
Sisyphus
Taxi driver
Beyond evil (May not be on Netflix anymore)
Military prosecutor doberman
All of us are dead
Extra curricular
The silent sea

In terms of movies
Parasite
Forgotten
Ballerina
The Call
The Witch: Part 1 - The Subversion (First half is a bit slow but is well worth because of the 2nd half)

shivalice

Sep 24, 2023
Just gonna use this opportunity to plug Beyond Evil. It is (was?) on netflix and I had a blast watching it. Has everything I love in a K drama: dramatic tension between partners; a gripping mystery; wild tonal shifts from insanely goofy to crazy dark; a fantastic overall cast. Can't recommend it enough. I have yet to convince anyone in my life to watch it, which is somewhat devastating for me, so I will continue to preach the good word wherever I can.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Recommendations off the top of my head

Beyond Evil
Signal
An Incomplete Life/Misaeng
Missing: The Otherside
DP
My Mister
Reborn Rich
Taxi Driver
Goblin
Sky Castle
Alchemy of Souls
Twenty-Five Twenty-One

Beyond Evil, An Incomplete LIfe and My Mister in particular, not just good kdramas but good viewing full stop.

Can recommend getting the viki app, if not the sub, there's a ton of asian content in general.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My fave are:
Crash Landing on You ( kdrama romcom with interesting setup which are North Korea and South Korea couple)
Attorney Woo (genius autism attorney, really stylish production and great story)
Moving (well you already watch it)
Itaewon Class (revenge story of poor kids beating the rich)
Glory ( revenge story of bullying victim)

Stil waiting fort the second season of Moving, Glory and Attorney Woo

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Recommendations:

Mystic pop-up bar
Welcome to Waikiki
All of us are Dead
Moving
flex cop
Worst of evil
Shop for killers
Vincenzo
Uncanny Counter

Oct 27, 2017
Ah... I'm glad you could enjoy Marry My Husband, and it at least introduced you to more shows.

My roommate and I binge lots of Kdramas and we HATED it. We felt the main couple had negative screen chemistry, and it made the show drag for us.

On the romance/drama end, we recently enjoyed:

Doctor Slump
The Atypical Family
Twinkling Watermelon
My Holo Love
Queen of Tears

Netflix really churns out the high quality Kdramas these days. They definitely know which way the wind is blowing and is all in. Twinkling Watermelon is the only one in that short list that isn't available on Netflix.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
They can be addictive but some, especially if they first aired on KR linear TV, are just way too long, with too long episodes. So recently I've been tending more towards streaming originals.

Favourite serious n sad kdrama: My Mister

Favourite over the top maximalist kdrama with great villains: SKY Castle

Favourite silly classic fantasy-tinged melodrama: You Who Came From the Stars

Favourite recently underrated slice of life: My Liberation Notes

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
nice, there is so much good content in KDramas and almost all of them will certainly make you cry during an episode

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's a T-Drama, but my favorite Asian drama is Bromance (愛上哥們). The heroine pretends to be a man and then becomes blood brother to a mafia heir who also runs an amusement park. Hijinks ensue. Cheesy, everyone's adorable, great soundtrack, and even has a few fight scenes.

For K-Dramas, we enjoyed:
You're Beautiful (girl has to pretend to be her brother in a boy band)
Sisyphus (sci-fi time travel)
Doctor Slump (rom-com)
The Girl Who Sees Scents (rom-com plus procedural)
Alhambra (killer AR game)
Guardian: The Lonely & Great God (also known as Goblin) (just generally awesome)

Among others.

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London
Midnight romance in hagwon is airing at the moment and I think it might be my favourite romance K-Drama. There is so much attention to detail regarding the characters who are multilayered.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I keep promising my coworkers that I'll watch the kdramas they recommended...but they're so far down my list of priorities...I only ever watched one kdrama and that was just because it had a member of EXO in it. Do not remember anything about it.

Maybe I'll just pick something to watch this afternoon.

OP
OP
PAFenix

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
On the topic of dubs, it's always cool when they dub them, but I think the less mainstream stuff never get dubbed sadly. The Netflix originals and stuff on Hulu/Disney it's a safer bet there, but anything that's only on, say, Viki, yeah you're SOL.

Options are good, period. I wish it was better all around overall. What you said about why you consume dubs is valid and I'm with you all the way.

I was afraid I was already going to derail my mentioning this, but I'm glad to see it not really being harped on enough in comparison to anime topics lol

As another poster mentioned, some of these shows have LONG episodes. I can only assume that's just how they're structured, but I wouldn't be able to watch what I watched as fast if we had to dedicate time to subtitles. We can fit one or maybe two episodes of a subbed anime a night. Dubbed, we're able to at least squeeze two, maybe three, full length of these episodes.

Ah... I'm glad you could enjoy Marry My Husband, and it at least introduced you to more shows.

My roommate and I binge lots of Kdramas and we HATED it. We felt the main couple had negative screen chemistry, and it made the show drag for us.

I can see the main romance being a low point. It was obvious from the get go where it was going lol My wife was surprised they revealed his secret so early though.

But we enjoyed it mostly to see how the lead lady navigated the toxicity of her relationships with ex-bestfriend & ex-boyfriend, and coming into her own independence. I had some jaw dropping moments whenever she stood up for herself. Those were the highlights for me.

Oh snap! I'll definitely jump in, putting it on Watch now!

And to everyone else that responded, thank you for your recommendations! I'll definitely keep lists posted saved. After we get through what we have currently listed, I'll look into the titles that got multiple recommendations from all of you! 😄

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
K dramas are the only reason i have netfilx. I would recommend When the Camellia Blooms and Its okay to be not okay.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Was about to recommend It's okay not to be okay.

Hilarious and heart wrenching depiction of people dealing with mental health problems, and extremely accurate. The journey they all go on and where they end up is just amazing.

Also really liked 25, 21, My Mister (rip) and Reply 1988. I've been looking for great Kdramas ever since, but really haven't found anything as good as those ever since. Though Crash Landing on You was fun as well.

So I'll try some of the recommendations in this thread as well :)

(If anyone knows of anything as atmospheric and with such a likable cast as reply 1988, teeeell meeeee)

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is Extraordinary Attorney Woo considered a K Drama? It generally does lighthearted comedy, but has some brutal turns into drama and romance.
I got bobmotized hard (16x 1h10min episodes), and now I'm afraid to fall in the Kdrama rabit hole.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So far I've watched and loved...

Marriage & Desires
The Glory (HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
Beyond Evil
Queenmaker
Misty

I highly recommend all with extra high high high recommendation of The Glory