Jogger-style sweatpants in casual public settings?

• Fo' sho'

Votes: 567 80.2%
  • Faux pas

Votes: 140 19.8%

• Total voters

V23

Oct 27, 2017
There's a common stigma around wearing sweatpants in public, with most people believing they should only be worn in private. The 'you've given up on life' public clothing, as they're often referred to.

However, the jogger-style sweatpants are the most common nowadays and seem more 'presentable'. Wearing them in very casual settings (e.g. grocery store, when grabbing fast food, etc) seems fair game to me. Am I committing a fashion crime by doing so, or do you also rock sweats in some public situations?

images

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
i will NOT be fucking dressing up in non lounge clothing for casually going outdoors
I'm going to the store? Them Sweatpants, or Crocs or Large T shirt WILL be coming out
Sweatpants more acceptable for casual social situations tho

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Just don't go to Capital Grille while wearing one.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
There's a common stigma around wearing sweatpants in public, with most people believing they should only be worn in private. The 'you've given up on life' public clothing, as they're often referred to.

However, the jogger-style sweatpants are the most common nowadays and seem more 'presentable'. Wearing them in very casual settings (e.g. grocery store, when grabbing fast food, etc) seems fair game to me. Am I committing a fashion crime by doing so, or do you also rock sweats in some public situations?

images
Eh. If I'm going to just the grocery store I don't give a fuck. I'll wear sweatpants and my hoodie with my slip ons. Who cares?

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I'm gonna be wearing this when they make us go back to the office. They are planning to make it hybrid workplace and giving us temporary work desks so I feel like its fair game. Unless it's demo day of course.

Plus I need time to lose weight to fit back into my black jeans...

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I only dress nicely if I'm in a courtroom. Otherwise, IDGAF, I'm wearing casual everything.

Feb 16, 2022
I wear joggers to work almost exclusively. Sometimes people say they look nice, either at work or in public. It's fine.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I haven't worn then in the situations you describe, but I agree they're perfectly fine.

I think it's mainly due to the fact that I spend most of my time at home already in them, so when I do go out I don't mind throwing on some jeans.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
trips to the grocery store and the movies are always getting the joggers/hoodie/crocs combo

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
I won't because it's not my style, but you do you. As long as you're not wearing gym shorts from the 70's where your junk is half falling out...

Oct 25, 2017
if you walked into a Wendy's wearing joggers they'd probably ask you to leave. /s

But seriously, this feels like outdated thinking casual wear is pretty popular and I feel like it's perfectly fine to wear even standard sweat pants to the grocery store, let alone a fast food place. Joggers are more in-style and you can wear them pretty much anywhere outside of obvious places you would want to be less casual.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I always wear joggers unless it's not casual, but I'll jump to any new look that I like in the future. I'm not going back to 90s style cuts or ever try out bell bottoms though. edit- just to be clear these joggers are not sweatpants

Last edited:

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
I dress like how I feel, and most of the time I feel like shit. :D

So stigma or not, you are getting garbo tier drip out of me unless the situation actually warrants me to pay attention to my looks.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been wearing plain old gym sweatpants to school, shopping, and sometimes work for fifteen years now. Never knew there was a stigma against them. Fuck jeans, sweatpants for life!

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wear these and basketball shorts out in public at whatever chance I get. Comfort > presentability if I'm out casually

But I live a generally lazy lifestyle so take my post as you will

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of that stigma as long as I'm aware. People always wore sweatpants in public all the time where I live. It's just another casual outfit.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
imagine not wearing joggers everywhere you can, the comfort it offers is just remarkable. The only everyday situation where it feels odd is the Office otherwise anyplace is fair game.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Enough trips in my goddamn pajama pants and a hoodie with slippers to grab some snacks at the GS25 in my officetel has made me completely immune to caring anymore.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
I just had total knee surgery at the end of February and have pretty much exclusively wearing sweatpants everywhere I go , it's pretty comfortable I had one pair before this , I'm ok with the dgaf look If I'm going to the grocery store or grab some coffee

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I wore some when I went to the doctor back in January when I pinched the sciatic nerve in my leg. I was so miserable that I couldn't put on regular pants. I wore them again when I went for a COVID test a few weeks late. I felt like shit and knew that I would be staying outside in the vehicle while they swabbed me, so I wore what was comfortable. I would never wear them out in public otherwise, though.

I just had total knee surgery at the end of February and have pretty much exclusively wearing sweatpants everywhere I go , it's pretty comfortable I had one pair before this , I'm ok with the dgaf look If I'm going to the grocery store or grab some coffee

I wore some when I had a MRI last year. The last time I had a MRI four or five years ago, I didn't think to take anything. I was lying inside it wearing nothing but a hospital gown. I was so cold from the cold air going up it by the time it was over that I was trembling. I won't make that mistake again.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care what people wear for the most part. Used to wear the ones made for martial arts a lot because they were comfortable.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't worn any trousers without an elastic waist for a couple of years now, whether at work or not!

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
I thought sweats in public was looked down on because the fabric is too weak to stop swinging cock and balls from being noticable?

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
There's a stigma? First time I've heard that.

Wearing jogger pants are fine. Heck, I only wear jeans during work days. Any other days, I usually wear joggers. Heck, sometimes I wear them at work. They're just comfortable.

Nov 4, 2017
I'd find it weird if somebody were wearing sweatpants in public when they weren't travelling to or from a physical activity. Wearing track pants as everyday clothes seems like an eshay thing to do where I live.

But then, I live in the sub tropics where it's perfectly acceptable to wear a nice pair of board shorts in public or social event. I imagine people from colder climates think that's some kind of fashion abomination, but it's just really practical in a very hot, humid environment where there are plenty of pools.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're comfortable. Don't care what people think on how I look like, but wearing grey ones is hard because people cannot focus on you when conversing.