louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
NO ONE IS AFTUALLY RAPED IN THE EPISODE

The Hound To Sansa"you've changed little bird none of it would have happened if you left kings landing with me, no little finger, no ramsay, none of it"

Sansa replies "without little finger, and ramsay, and the rest, I would have stayed a little bird all my life"

No one is made stronger by rape, Now a person can be strong inspite of being raped but this is not what they went for. Rape as a plot piont in a fictional story needs to be handled with care, not as a fucking set piece.

but this writing were a woman was "simply foolish and then one day she got raped and now she truly understands the world" It is sexist and hurtful bs.

Last edited:

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The writers are sexist as fuck. Garbage tier writing. Go to the open spoiler thread if you
want to know how worse it gets.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't think they were necessarily saying that being raped made her stronger. I think they were saying her exposure to the horrors of the real world made her stronger than if she were married off as some Lord's lady.

At least, that's how I took it.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I have hated the fact that they merged the storylines for the sake of being lazy and inept writers that could actually portray Sansa developing her innate instincts. They did it because it would be boring the the audience for her to remain the Vale and follow her storyline in the books. Even GRRM called them out and showed how she has matured and became more enlightened without the gratuitous rape.

A woman doesn't need to be raped to become strong. For fucks sake, that stupid trope is outdated and honestly one of the most infuriating aspects I see.

Jun 12, 2018
It wasnt about her being stronger right?, she was saying that her mindset and outlook of the world is different because of her experiences..I didnt think this was that big of a deal to warrant a thread

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
I love how people are finally starting to realize just how much of GoT sucks and how lame Benioff and Weiss are as writers. It seems the honeymoon period with this show is finally over lol.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Ehh, i think its a bit hyperbolic to say SANSA RAPE =STRONGER because she has a wide variety of tortures she went though, and you can make an argument they put Theon through a similar ringer.

So I think in this case its an unfair critique. The message is really 'ABUSE MAKES YOU STRONGER', which is as problematic.

That said, the Brienne/Jamie scene in the end...eeesh. That was stereotypical as hell

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they were necessarily saying that being raped made her stronger. I think they were saying her exposure to the horrors of the real world made her stronger than if she were married off as some Lord's lady.

This is exactly how everyone at my viewing party took it, no one thought anything of it.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
How is the title a spoiler? The rape was seasons ago

Also, the "heard you were broken in rough" exchange was "bad pussy" tier writing.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

My thoughts as well.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Love to see a property with praised complex characters immediately go to "women are crazy and must be replaced by mediocre men" AND "sexual assault makes women stronger/more capable" AND fridging one of your last two black characters in a single episode with 3 hours left in your show's history. Great notes to end on, real confident about Confederate and Star Wars

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

"I heard you were broken in."

Sansa accidentally was responsible for her father's death. She saw her father beheaded in front of her. She was held as a hostage. She was physically abused at the hands of her bethrothed. She was nearly raped. She was forced into a marriage she did not want. Her entire family was slaughtered (to the best of her knowledge). She was then kidnapped and taken to her aunt, who nearly killed her.

She was exposed to a shit ton of horrors that already changed her perspective of the world. Her rape storyline was gross and for them to still keep focusing on it as the key that developed her is complete shit.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

Same here. Sansa went through some vile shit and came out of it a completely different person.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Fucking spoiler thread title! I'm really sick of all these GOT and Endgame threads with all these minor details slowly adding up to spoilers. How can I message mods about this?

Jun 12, 2018
"I heard you were broken in."

Sansa accidentally was responsible for her father's death. She saw her father beheaded in front of her. She was held as a hostage. She was physically abused at the hands of her bethrothed. She was nearly raped. She was forced into a marriage she did not want. Her entire family was slaughtered (to the best of her knowledge). She was then kidnapped and taken to her aunt, who nearly killed her.

She was exposed to a shit ton of horrors that already changed her perspective of the world. Her rape storyline was gross and for them to still keep focusing on it as the key that developed her is complete shit.
Why do you believe that they're focusing on the rape when the hounds line beforehand clearly pointed out the other experiences she has gone through?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
A testament to how a subject like this will never be taken seriously when people jump in to scream about "spoilers" first and foremost.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler in title and before even aired on west coast? Don't be like this.

A testament to how a subject like this will never be taken seriously when people jump in to scream about "spoilers" first and foremost.

What do you expect? Derails your own thread from the start

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1000% percent. People are choosing to misinterpret her rape as the entire cause of her character development, ignoring everything else she's gone through. It's stupid, lazy criticism.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
Reposting my thoughts

My read of the Sansa Hound scene was that Sansa was "glad" (aggressively relative term) that shit had happened to her because she'd likely be dead otherwise (like if she'd gone with the hound and been taken to her now dead brother and mother). Not that she was happy to be raped.

But that's just my read. Not my place to disagree with anyone who felt differently, especially if they've experience abuse themselves.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
What the hell with the title. I dont want any tease outside official teaser for this episode.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

This is indeed what she was saying. She was talking about her exposure to real world horrors. I don't get the backlash for this specific scene, and I am usually always triggered by rape stuff.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This episode was super sexist. You have Brienne craving the cock and almost degrading herself in the process. This scene. Varys saying how women are unqualified to rule.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
There's no spoiler in the title other than sansa's rape gets mentioned. Enough with the handwringing.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP did you even watch the episode? Serious question all that happened to her is brought up not just rape. Ya'll just quick on the draw huh?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Spoiler in title and before even aired on west coast? Don't be like this.

What do you expect? Derails your own thread from the start

I would expect people to be able to not scream like children about spoilers for a television show when the topic is how said television show (allegedely) uses and overuses rape as plot points/sources of character building.

Something there is a little more important in the grand scheme of things, but yeah whatever, just whine away about what barely if at all counts as a spoiler in that title.