Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
First off, I blood hate threads called "We need to talk" but I hate this thread already and I think you will too, so it's ok.

Second, this is not about plotholes or those minor hiccups in the story that you call plotholes. If you think any of this is about plotholes, turn back. If you want to make this about plotholes, I'll fight you. With rusty spoons.

NO.

PLOTHOLES.

So what is this thread about?

It's about that bizzarre habit Feige and co. have of making one movie about this thing, this message, this character development, and then immediately ignoring or undoing it in the next movie.
It's everywhere in the MCU.

It goes from simple stuff - Hulk in Infinity War vs Hulk in Endgame. Hulk's character arc in Infinity War is about Hulk not wanting to be Banner's emergency button. This leads to two different narrative threads: one is the expectation of finally seeing Hulk come back, and get some sort of closure in his fight with Thanos. The other is seeing Banner accepting the challenge and proving he can be on the team and fight alongside everyone else even without the Hulk.

Fast forward to EG: we see Banner following the gang still using the Hulkbuster on their first fight with Thanos, so it's clear that his conflict with Hulk is unresolved! Hooray, we'll see that storyline go somewhere, right? Nope, Banner merges with Hulk offscreen during the timelap and becomes this very neutered professor Hulk thing that never fights, never gets angry, and never confronts Thanos.
But wait, maybe it's a coronation of the other character arc, him not needing Hulk? Nope, he needs Hulk all day, every day. He's 100% Hulk now. Go figure.

Then there's the really bad stuff. Spiderman Homecoming ends with Peter turning down the Iron Spider suit to prove he doesn't need Stark, he doesn't need to be an Avenger, he's his own person.
Months and months of people complaining about Iron Man being in the movie, about Spiderman not being allowed to design his own suits, of Tony Stark taking a too big spotlight into Peter Parker's story. Awesome.

Literally the next thing we see Spiderman do is interact with Tony Stark and wearing the Iron Spider suit. Look guys, I know you want him in the Avengers, and you need him there, but then DON'T MAKE AN ENTIRE MOVIE ABOUT HIM REALIZING HE DOESN'T NEED TO BE AN AVENGER.

Shall we touch on Tony Stark basically retiring at the end of every movie he's in? Iron Man 3 ends with him blowing all his suits. The very next movie, he has 3 new ones. And again, the blame isn't on Age of Ultron. They knew he'd be in it. They knew the point of Iron Man is making new, amazing suits. So why make an entire movie about him not needing to be a hero and not needing to use suits? Why make him remove the arc reactor?

Natasha... poor Natasha. Where do we start? Oh, let's start from Banner. They're a thing, yes. She's going to appear in 3 movies after Ultron, he appears in 3 (or 4? I'd need to recount). You see both of them in 2 of them. They NEVER interact again. No closure, no acknowledgement. Nothing. It's the umpteen "let's have this thing in this movie that is a big shock, and then let's forget about it because we don't want to actually have a narrative here".

Nick Fury needs to leave after Winter Soldier. No more Shield, it's time to go undercover. Next movie he shows up to brief the heroes, still has all his contacts, he comes with the fucking Helicarrier. At least this narrative thread, while completely truncated and meaningless, serves the purpose of removing SHIELD as a crutch for the heroes. But Fury? What was the point of all that? Where are the consequences if you keep having the characters go through these dramatic moments, these changes and then you immediately want to be able to use them as if nothing happened?

Steve makes out with his niece, and then she disappears from the story. What was that all about? Why?

Feige and co. need to be praised for how well they managed to keep the overall *story* together over so many films, making them overlap and intersect and lock in place (almost) perfectly. But in terms of narrative and character development, why did they keep throwing shit at the wall without even waiting 3 seconds to see if it stuck? Why does each movie have to basically reset the characters or undo what happened in the very last movie?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually because these are different movies by different writers often being developed at the same time, and that just means they can't ever 100% sync up.

The MCU is actually super unique in the amount of crossover it pulls off on a regular basis - no one else even tries this, and it's honestly nuts they pull it off as well as they do with the schedule they push.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta agree with these, especially Hulk and Steve with the niece are jarring that I always found really odd too. Some storylines go absolutely nowhere which is a shame.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have an explanation why Hawkeye can hold an infinity stone? Is he part god like Quill (and even Quill couldn't do it alone)?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happens all the time in comics, often to a far worse extent, so I'm willing to accept it in the movies.

Does anyone have an explanation why Hawkeye can hold an infinity stone? Is he part god like Quill (and even Quill couldn't do it alone)?

It would be kind of dumb if you sacrificed someone for the Soul Stone and then it immediately killed you upon entering your hand. Obviously that stone works differently.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's actually because these are different movies by different writers often being developed at the same time, and that just means they can't ever 100% sync up.

The MCU is actually super unique in the amount of crossover it pulls off on a regular basis - no one else even tries this, and it's honestly nuts they pull it off as well as they do with the schedule they push.

Well, duh, ok. But consider all the shit we give to Kathleen Kennedy (and mind you, she does deserve some of it for the way she's been handling directors) for having this massively inconsistent narrative and so many directors in Star Wars, and how Rian Johnson was accused of ignoring all of TFA and killing off all threads... The new Star Wars trilogy is still much more consistent in terms of themes and character development than the MCU.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

The only stone that was ever show to be dangerous to hold is the power and reality stone. Besides, it'd be really stupid if the soul stone killed the sacrificer.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's par for the course in the comics. Different writers have different stories they want to tell and sometimes that means character motivations and progression has to adapt for the story that's being told.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The Power stone specifically can't be held, not every stone. I'm sure they're not healthy to hold but it's only the Power stone that instantly vaporizes you if you aren't superhuman. The Reality stone was also unsafe but not in a stone form usually.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, duh, ok. But consider all the shit we give to Kathleen Kennedy (and mind you, she does deserve some of it for the way she's been handling directors) for having this massively inconsistent narrative and so many directors in Star Wars, and how Rian Johnson was accused of ignoring all of TFA and killing off all threads... The new Star Wars trilogy is still much more consistent in terms of themes and character development than the MCU.

3 mainline movies over 6 years is way easier than 3 movies/year.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can only imagine the blowback this would cause if Marvel Studios interfered even more with these movies...

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Two linear films vs twenty-two in multiple sub-franchises.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
3 mainline movies over 6 years is way easier than 3 movies/year.

Still I don't think not completely ignoring every single theme and outcome of the last movie a massive undertaking. Banner and Nat can't be a thing? Ok, but have them talk about it for a few seconds. He's not even the one who looks sadder when she dies.

The Spiderman thing is jarring. It feels like they were showing the suit as some sort of commercial for Infinity War - look, cool thing, cool toy, Spiderman in the avengers! And if the movie's story and themes are about one thing, and you immediately undo all of it because you need to have the character in the movie and sell the toys, it's not exactly flattering for your movies.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The Hulk and Natasha ones are pretty bad, but aside from that, this is what happens when you have each movie trying to have a full A to B narrative of its own. The intent of different writers don't always match up. Let's just be glad these are fairly minor and explainable compared to the clusterfuck of actual comics.

Nov 15, 2017
I used to think this as well. However someone explained to me that once the stone is in an "activated" state that when it causes issues. That's been my head cannon ever since. The stone wasn't being used or "activated" when Hawkeye picked it up.

I try not to take alot of these things too seriously though because as stated this is uncharted territory in the movie industry to have this level of coherence between many different films by many different writers and many different directors
having to sync up. They are doing good in my opinion. I still notice some of the inconsistencies tho.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

It is, but the entire universe still can't stop yelling about how Rian destroyed JJ's work, how JJ sabotaged Rian's work, how everyone hates each other, how the story is a mess. The MCU is much, much worse off in terms of narratives and nobody bats an eye.

Besides, the Spiderman thing is two movies too (and probably a couple months in the character's world). It's not a very long storyline that is hard to keep together. It's one movie ending with "Nah mr Stark, I don't need your suit, Spiderman needs to be Spiderman, keep this avengers thing for the future" to "I'm an avenger now, oh the suit!".
IMMEDIATELY. It's literally the first thing that happens to him.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
hulk:banner says they have stuff to figure out in IW
peter: the only reason he had the iron spider suit was because he was going to die without it. now if when we first see him in the movie he already has it on then sure
tony: his last line in IM3
  • [Last lines] And so, as Christmas morning began, my journey was at its end. You start with something pure. Something exciting. Then come the mistakes, the compromises. We create our own demons. As promised, I got Pepper sorted out. Took a little tinkering. But then I thought "why stop there?" Of course there are people who say progress is dangerous, but then I bet none of those idiots ever had to live with a chest full of shrapnel. And now, neither will I. Let me tell you: that was the best sleep I'd had in years. So if I were to wrap this up tight with a bow or whatever, I guess I'd say my armor, it was never a distraction or a hobby, it was a cocoon. And now, I'm a changed man. You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys. One thing you can't take away... I am Iron Man.
BW: pretty sure thats because it was whedon thing that people never cared for but point taken
Fury: just cuz he didnt rebuild shield doesnt mean he would stop having contacts and know where Shield kept everything or he put away for a rainy day
Steves niece:1 its not his niece according to the russos. 2 agreed she shouldn't have just vanished

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
It goes from simple stuff - Hulk in Infinity War vs Hulk in Endgame. Hulk's character arc in Infinity War is about Hulk not wanting to be Banner's emergency button. This leads to two different narrative threads: one is the expectation of finally seeing Hulk come back, and get some sort of closure in his fight with Thanos. The other is seeing Banner accepting the challenge and proving he can be on the team and fight alongside everyone else even without the Hulk.

Fast forward to EG: we see Banner following the gang still using the Hulkbuster on their first fight with Thanos, so it's clear that his conflict with Hulk is unresolved! Hooray, we'll see that storyline go somewhere, right? Nope, Banner merges with Hulk offscreen during the timelap and becomes this very neutered professor Hulk thing that never fights, never gets angry, and never confronts Thanos.
But wait, maybe it's a coronation of the other character arc, him not needing Hulk? Nope, he needs Hulk all day, every day. He's 100% Hulk now. Go figure.
He's 100% Hulk? No, he's 100% Hulk and 100% Banner. In Ragnarok Banner is tired of getting used ('you're just using me to get to the Hulk'). In Infinity War the Hulk is tired of getting used. In Endgame Banner/Hulk resolve(s) this conflict by merging. Accepting both of his sides. His arc ends with undoing the snap ('I was made for this'), thus finally getting closure on the main thing he always wrestled with (in The Incredible Hulk, Avengers and Ultron). Namely, that he wasn't accepted and didn't accept himself because he was a force of death and destruction, causing him to flee off earth at the end of Ultron. Now, him resolving his inner conflict between Banner and Hulk enables him to do the most healing and lifegiving thing in Endgame, bringing billions back to life.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest hangup right now is how were they able to touch the Power Stone in Endgame. Peter Quill could barely handle it himself & he was half celestial at the time. Granted, we never see them actually touch, only the Orb, but still. And then Thanos grabbed it to hit Danvers.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
One of my nagging questions about Cap's arc is that I thought he had reconciled the whole deal with Peggy and they were trying to move him on. He never did I guess.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
hulk:banner says they have stuff to figure out in IW
peter: the only reason he had the iron spider suit was because he was going to die without it. now if when we first see him in the movie he already has it on then sure
tony: his last line in IM3
  • [Last lines] And so, as Christmas morning began, my journey was at its end. You start with something pure. Something exciting. Then come the mistakes, the compromises. We create our own demons. As promised, I got Pepper sorted out. Took a little tinkering. But then I thought "why stop there?" Of course there are people who say progress is dangerous, but then I bet none of those idiots ever had to live with a chest full of shrapnel. And now, neither will I. Let me tell you: that was the best sleep I'd had in years. So if I were to wrap this up tight with a bow or whatever, I guess I'd say my armor, it was never a distraction or a hobby, it was a cocoon. And now, I'm a changed man. You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys. One thing you can't take away... I am Iron Man.
BW: pretty sure thats because it was whedon thing that people never cared for but point taken
Fury: just cuz he didnt rebuild shield doesnt mean he would stop having contacts and know where Shield kept everything or he put away for a rainy day
Steves niece:1 its not his niece according to the russos. 2 agreed she shouldn't have just vanished

You're approaching all those as PLOT HOLES.

I'm talking about satisfying narrative.

Of course Spidey needs the Iron Spider suit or he'd die in space.
But you made his own movie about him not needing Stark, understanding he doesn't have to be an Avenger, that he doesn't need Stark's fancy toys.

The next movie immediately starts with him becoming an avenger and being saved by Stark. Fuck the messages of the other movie, right?

It's not about the story making sense. The story makes sense. It's about the story meaning something. The MCU constantly undermines its own messages.

Nov 15, 2017
Besides, the Spiderman thing is two movies too (and probably a couple months in the character's world). It's not a very long storyline that is hard to keep together. It's one movie ending with "Nah mr Stark, I don't need your suit, Spiderman needs to be Spiderman, keep this avengers thing for the future" to "I'm an avenger now, oh the suit!".
IMMEDIATELY. It's literally the first thing that happens to him.

I get what you're saying but Spider-man was going to die. He didn't willingly take to suit from Tony. Tony realized the situation and called in the suit which eventually saved his life. And at the point Spider-man was not even an avenger, while they were on the ship on their way to Titan Tony dubbed him and avenger. Remember Tony never wanted Spider-man to be there, he sent him home but Parker stowed away on the ship. When Tony dubbed him an avenger i read that scene as Tony basically saying to Parker that you're here and there's no turning back now so be prepared to fight.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Onscreen, the only person we see actually hold the Power Stone on its own is Thanos. War Machine & Nebula held it's housing, the Orb, & later, we see Stark using machines to handle the stones.
Yes, so why is your hangup that they were able to touch the powerstone, when they didn't touch it?

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
He's 100% Hulk? No, he's 100% Hulk and 100% Banner. In Ragnarok Banner is tired of getting used ('you're just using me to get to the Hulk'). In Infinity War the Hulk is tired of getting used. In Endgame Banner/Hulk resolve(s) this conflict by merging. Accepting both of his sides. His arc ends with undoing the snap ('I was made for this'), thus finally getting closure on the main thing he always wrestled with (in The Incredible Hulk, Avengers and Ultron). Namely, that he wasn't accepted and didn't accept himself because he was a force of death and destruction, causing him to flee off earth at the end of Ultron. Now, him resolving his inner conflict between Banner and Hulk enables him to do the most healing and lifegiving thing in Endgame, bringing billions back to life.

I've been pondering about this too, and I could accept this as a capstone. An iconic superhero's journey ends with him stopping being what we know him for, getting closure. Cap gets old. Tony dies.

But Hulk's ending moment is spanned so long that we spend more time seeing him not being Hulk (as in, what Hulk is about) than we see him Hulking out.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, so why is your hangup that they were able to touch the powerstone, when they didn't touch it?
That's why I brought it up. Of course they could have taken it out without actually touching it. And Rocket is there to explain that to them....

Well, shit, I answered my question.

Okay, so how the hell can Thanos hold it without any issues?

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I brought it up. Of course they could have taken it out without actually touching it. And Rocket is there to explain that to them....

He's fucking Thanos.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I get what you're saying but Spider-man was going to die. He didn't willingly take to suit from Tony. Tony realized the situation and called in the suit which eventually saved his life. And at the point Spider-man was not even an avenger, while they were on the ship on their way to Titan Tony dubbed him and avenger. Remember Tony never wanted Spider-man to be there, he sent him home but Parker stowed away on the ship. When Tony dubbed him an avenger i read that scene as Tony basically saying to Parker that you're here and there's no turning back now so be prepared to fight.

Again, it makes sense in the story. But someone is writing that story, and someone was writing Homecoming. And it's a bit as if Homecoming was a romantic movie about our heroine finding out she doesn't need her idolized rich boyfriend to feel like a full person, that she's strong and indipendent and that she can succeed without it. Then making the first half hour of the next movie about her falling in love with him again.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You *really* need to rewatch the Iron Man movies, 'cause he hasn't retired once before Endgame.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

You mean the guy who was tanking punches from a woman who can fly through spaceships, who was hit a dozen times by Mjolnir, shot with lighting and repulsors, torn with magic by a woman who can lift leviathans moving her fingers? The guy who was letting the fucking Hulk punch him for fun?

I think he's rather durable.

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
Nick Fury got the Helicarrier from Coulson, it was the only one left and was shown being repaired on the TV show agents of SHIELD.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
And yeah, I was bothered by the fact that someone like Hawkeye could hold a stone but I just head cannoned that away and say its a per stone basis on whether they can be held or not.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
You're approaching all those as PLOT HOLES.

I'm talking about satisfying narrative.

Of course Spidey needs the Iron Spider suit or he'd die in space.
But you made his own movie about him not needing Stark, understanding he doesn't have to be an Avenger, that he doesn't need Stark's fancy toys.

The next movie immediately starts with him becoming an avenger and being saved by Stark. Fuck the messages of the other movie, right?

It's not about the story making sense. The story makes sense. It's about the story meaning something. The MCU constantly undermines its own messages.
spidey did what spidey would have done. he saw danger and went to help. he didnt call tony and say give me the iron spider suit tony forces it on him in order to save his life and to get peter off the ship
and he never said he didnt ever want to be an avenger just that he wanted to stay on the ground a little while longer

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You realize you can cut "we need to talk about" out of the title completely and the message doesn't change, right?

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You *really* need to rewatch the Iron Man movies, 'cause he hasn't retired once before Endgame.

Of course he never does. But Iron Man 2 is about him stopping before Iron Man kills him, Iron Man 3 is about him stopping before his ego and PTSD kill him, Age of Ultron is about stop trying to save the world before he kills everyone, Civil War is about stopping before he kills his friends... It seems like the majority of Iron Man movies are about him not wanting to be Iron Man. In Endgame, what he does is stop fighting and become a family man.

In Age of Ultron he has a very specific line of dialogue when he's justifying what him and Banner did (I think it's when he and Cap were chopping wood, did I mention Ultron was one of the movie that really let the characters interact, for all its flaws?) where he says that the point of the Avengers initiative was going home and stopping having to do what they do. The guy has been wanting out ever since the second movie. He just can't manage to quit. And this conflict is resetted at every movie.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
spidey did what spidey would have done. he saw danger and went to help. he didnt call tony and say give me the iron spider suit tony forces it on him in order to save his life and to get peter off the ship
and he never said he didnt ever want to be an avenger just that he wanted to stay on the ground a little while longer
This, plus I feel like you're ignoring the fact that Thanos was in the mix now. That changes a lot

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

But you're looking at it from within the story. I'm asking you to take a step back, looking at the writer's perspective and the idea that these stories don't just tell something but may mean something.

And IW completely undermines the message of Homecoming. And be prepared for Far From Home being all about Spidey not living in Tony Stark's shadow. I'm sure they'll even make Mysterio a replacement dad for that goal.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He only does for seconds and puts it right back. He's in visible pain, but needed it to blast Marvel away. The only reason he got away with it is he's super powerful and it was short.

Of course he never does. But Iron Man 2 is about him stopping before Iron Man kills him, Iron Man 3 is about him stopping before his ego and PTSD kill him, Age of Ultron is about stop trying to save the world before he kills everyone, Civil War is about stopping before he kills his friends... It seems like the majority of Iron Man movies are about him not wanting to be Iron Man. In Endgame, what he does is stop fighting and become a family man.

In Age of Ultron he has a very specific line of dialogue when he's justifying what him and Banner did (I think it's when he and Cap were chopping wood, did I mention Ultron was one of the movie that really let the characters interact, for all its flaws?) where he says that the point of the Avengers initiative was going home and stopping having to do what they do. The guy has been wanting out ever since the second movie. He just can't manage to quit. And this conflict is resetted at every movie.

He wants out but the story is he can't stop. He keeps telling himself and Pepper no more surprises, but then keeps going because he can't stop. The arc comes full circle when he stops doing it for himself and saves the universe instead.