• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
going bald is genetic and modern medical science is a long way from mastering it. with this in mind testing out new solutions is very expensive and as it's a cosmetic issue it's not a priority to be fixed for most researchers. odds are that when a cure comes it will be from a side effect of another medication or nonrelated research.
the most promising idea we currently have is cloning hairs and injecting that into the scalp although decent success has proven to be a tough nut to crack.
even if someone discovers a sure fire fix it would take 6-10+ years of testing before it would be made available to market as safety guidelines are quite strict.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Shaved head since the 00s.

It's fine, fuck hormones or wasting a lot of money to get fake hair.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
People self-medicating with high doses off-label drugs make me shake my head.

Embrace the bald and live a long and healthy life.

Lovely Salsa

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
going bald is genetic and modern medical science is a long way from mastering it. with this in mind testing out new solutions is very expensive and as it's a cosmetic issue it's not a priority to be fixed for most researchers. odds are that when a cure comes it will be from a side effect of another medication or nonrelated research.
the most promising idea we currently have is cloning hairs and injecting that into the scalp although decent success has proven to be a tough nut to crack.
even if someone discovers a sure fire fix it would take 6-10+ years of testing before it would be made available to market as safety guidelines are quite strict.

A pill that cures baldness would be a 100+ billion dollar industry.

Oct 27, 2017
Just wear toupee, no one will notice.
toupee-wig-1.jpg

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

the ones that cut up their heads with derma rollers or razor blades to get the off-label drugs in deeper are extra crazy.

My diet is almost entirely protein, carbs and fat. There's nothing else I could eat that would make me gain weight.

unless you have a parasite(s), this is not possible. eat a more rounded diet and eat more. you're likely one of those people that need to force themselves to eat to gain weight.

A pill that fixes baldness would be a 100+ billion dollar industry.

true but like I said the amount of investment needed is costly and we have very little understanding on the whole thing so it's practically a guaranteed money sink. for most research labs they're not going to risk the investment when there a more important issues out there that take priority. hair loss doesn't hurt anyone. the issues that come with it are brought on by ones struggle of acceptance.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you use minox in very early stages or when your family is bald mostly you can keep it. Altho that is a lifelong thing quit and you will go bald.

Its what i use. 3 bucks a month.
Finasteride also can but imo if minox works for you never go fina it can have serious side effects and kill ur sex drive + cause depression.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is more money in curing baldness than there is in literally any other medical breakthrough that exists so they are trying very hard

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at the point where I'd rather have a cream or pill that I could take to make the hair on top of my head permanently fall out than regrow it. I'm just fed up with it now. In fact, give me a pill where all of my hair sans my facial hair and eyebrows stops growing in and I'd be good.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

this

I feel very good about how i look because I got a big beard and a ripped body from strength training. Burlycore report in!

Things have worked out in my favor. The look matches my personality and I've found that the balding look is actually a very masculine look if you develope other qualities.

Take responsibility for it yall. You can do the shaved head intelectual look if you don't have a big beard or athletic body.

You can look attractive with a balding head. Don't get all depressed over it and coin a look!

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my cells still die yet we can facetime wtf science why am I not immortal????

Forget baldness I hope in the future we can engineer humans so that saliva produces some sort of tooth and gum strengthening compound. Sick of brushing my teeth like a barbarian.
Saliva already does. It's called calcium. The issue is we eat way too many simple carbs(sugar) and drink too much acidic sugary drinks. Sugars are like superfoods for the bacteria in our mouths which produce acid that break down our enamel. Acidic drinks bypass the bacteria and go straight to destroying enamel.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
There are a few misconceptions about the current treatments available in this thread.

Minoxidil is primarily good for helping to regrow lost hair, but it does not prevent further balding. This is because balding is caused by DHT and Minoxidil does absolutely nothing to prevent DHT from killing your hair follicles. All Minoxidil does is increase blood flow to the scalp, which can stimulate further hair growth. In isolation it may cause some hair to regrow but it will not stop DHT killing follicles and so after a few years you will probably find that you are continuing to lose more hair.

If you want to dramatically slow down hair loss you need to block the DHT and that is where Propecia comes in. Propecia will cut down the DHT levels in your body, and as DHT is the main driver behind hair loss this will slow down, if not halt hairloss. However, it doesn't work for everyone, it can cause sexual side effects like impotence or extremely watery semen, and even if it does work studies show that the effect usually tails off after a while. If you take both Minoxidil and DHT in combination you can expect to have a way better head of hair in ten years than someone who doesn't, but you definitely shouldn't consider yourself immune to further hair loss.

Hair transplants have also been mentioned in this thread but you have to consider that not everyone is suitable for a transplant. I should know, I went to one of the top hair transplant surgeons in the world when I was younger and desperate, and I was told I wasn't a suitable candidate. This is because they take hair from the donor area at the back and sides of your head to move it to the areas with hair loss. However, people have varying degrees of follicle density in the donor area, and different sized areas they need to transplant to as well. I was told that I had mediocre hair density in the donor areas and that they weren't willing to transplant it to the top of my head in case I continued to lose hair behind the transplanted area. If they did that, I wouldn't have sufficient donor hair left to 'fill in' the areas behind the transplanted area at a later date and my hair would just end up looking weird.

At the time I was devastated as my hair loss was really affecting my confidence and I'd pinned everything on getting a transplant. Now I'm 33 and I couldn't care less. I have a shaved head, a beard, I got muscly (all the stereotypical stuff lol) and I just don't even think about my baldness anymore. Acceptance and working on improving the rest of you is the usual advice for a reason - it's the truth. I'm also glad I'm not longer on Propecia - males produce DHT for a reason (hence why sexual side effects when on Propecia are fairly common), we shouldn't be so cavalier about shutting it out of our bodies for decades on end just to preserve hair.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
STEM ERA,

It's 2018. How is there no cure for hair loss?
*I'm actually quite curious.

1) Throwing a rocket really far to land on a far away rock that's been in plain sight since the dawn of time

2) Decoding, deciphering, and altering a feature of the most complex machine currently known in existence

Sounds about right that we got the first one done already

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I ever start losing my hair I'll just shave it off. Nothing more sad to see than someone clinging onto their clearly disappearing hairline.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Saliva already does. It's called calcium. The issue is we eat way too many simple carbs(sugar) and drink too much acidic sugary drinks. Sugars are like superfoods for the bacteria in our mouths which produce acid that break down our enamel. Acidic drinks bypass the bacteria and go straight to destroying enamel.
So what you're saying is we still have to brush thus not addressing my future-human dreams.

T..thanks.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shout out to bald guys and short guys, making it easy outchea for us fully hairy heads and elongated legs. We're taking all your chicks

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
I see a lot of guys my age, late 30s, balding and all I can do is thanking genetics for giving me full head of hair.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
As long as there are microorganisms that live in our mouths and eat food orally, we will have to brush and floss. Sorry to crap in your cornflakes this morning.
Will just wait for the gene alteration that allows our saliva to produce a base to neutralize the acid once our tongue detects what we are ingesting. Someday....