jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I'm so dang Happy. I've been a Gamepass Fan for Years and a always had a Dream PS Now could reach the point were it was A true peer of Gamepass.

Both services are Awesome at the moment and I think Paying for both has legitimate value because the Catalogs are so strong.

I'm not gonna talk much about Gamepass simple because everyone already knows how good it is. However I am interested in reflection on PS Nows journey.

PS Now started back in 2014 as a streaming service Backwards Compatibility "solution" for PS3 games on PS4 .

The PS Now Library was extremely Big and good even on the Early Days but it was more expensive, games were streaming only and the quality of streamed games were not great in the mid 10's

Around 2018 a year after Gamepass started We started to see PS now improved over the years eventually Landing in it great current state (which is why competition is needed folks)

2018 was when downloadable games were added and they dropped the price to bieng a good deal

By 2020 PS Now was still lacking but I was hopeful for the future

https://www.resetera.com/threads/how-sony-can-improve-ps-now-on-ps5.316987/

In this thread we discussed ways to improve now and 4 Years Later most of those things came true.

Even before the rebrand between 2020 and 2022 more and more Banger third parties Started to come to the platform while High profile First party games hit quicker (but was still limited time only pre 22 rebrand)

The third party time on the service started going from just a few months to a year plus just like Gamepass

Once Mid 2022 came Now was bundled with / rebranded PS Plus Extra/Premium.

At this Point All First Party Games stay in the platform Once they reach it!!!!!

The third party game selection between 2022 and 2024 grew to be stunning with amazing games to play at all times.

Even the quality streaming of old games is the best it's been (not perfect still streaming but stuff is playable)

The Service Feels Like a True Peer to Gamepass and I honestly can't answer definitely which is better.

Gamepass still has an edge do to First part day 1 and More first party day 1 however At any given point Either can be better for you personally depending on your Taste in games and what's available.

Also since there's lot of games on both it's easier for double console owners to get Plus for a few months then switch to Gamepass for a few months and just rotate which sub you want since Both are stellar.

I don't know what the future holds for Gamepass and Plus both will no doubt experience price increases and Quality could take a hit in either over time

However I wanna take a moment to just appreciate how good they are right now in May 2024

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, both are solid services now, with each of them trading off month to month as to who I think has the better offerings. PS Plus has been very strong over the past couple months imo, they've had some really standout third party additions and indie day one releases. I also like that PS Plus is including older generation titles, even if the offerings each month aren't always incredible

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They are, problem is my backlog is even more amazing and you only have so many hours to play games. So cant see myself reupping GP once my current sub end next year.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I remain extremely disappointed with Sony's handling of legacy titles. And while I understand why they won't put 1st party games on the sub day one or keep them indefinitely, it's still a reason for me to consider GP superior in that regard.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
How odd. I was just discussing with a friend how it feels like the era of gaming subscriptions are at their final leg. That we're going to see the wells dry up any day. I think we're at the peak. From here it's all downhill.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
The PlayStation version is called Game Catalog/Catalogue.

They must not market that well, because know one seems to know it.

May 16, 2024
ps plus/extra is definitely comparable to gamepass wrt third party stuff but the way sony handles emulation of legacy stuff is insulting imo

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
PS Plus is stronger for third party library titles these days but Game Pass is on a whole other level when it comes to day one indies (and of course day one 1P).

So depends what you want. Plus offers little value to me as I've nearly always played the good stuff already. But can see it offering a lot of value to those who aren't early adopters.

Game Pass also lets me play the games on PC in addition to console, PS Plus doesn't. Which takes Game Pass to a whole other tier of value for me, given I mostly play on PC these days.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool that people love it, but it's honestly not for me. I find way more value in something like a Humble Bundle and the ilk. You can quickly build or even migrate your library for cheap and quick if you have a PC. I'll always prefer keeping my games.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
How odd. I was just discussing with a friend how it feels like the era of gaming subscriptions are at their final leg. That we're going to see the wells dry up any day. I think we're at the peak. From here it's all downhill.
We may be at the peak but I'm gonna live in the present and enjoy the peak while we're here and not be upset at a future not here yet.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
I just platinum the Ratchet and Clank Trilogy with cloud streaming, never experienced lag. Started Ratchet Deadlock, my plan is to keep playing all the games on cloud streaming just because it's so fluid.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Had these existed back when I was largely relying on buying used and trade-ins for console gaming it would have been a massive boon for sure. Now, between my own digital library being bigger, better, and curated specifically for my tastes + the number of ways to get ultra cheap games to keep on PC, the value in digital rental services/"instant libraries" just isn't there for me.

The only real exception being Day 1 GP for situations like Hellblade 2 where I want to play at or around launch, but I'm not quite sold to the point where I'm willing to purchase it outright for full price on Steam.

Chippewa Barr