Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
13935714-3335165958994704.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/T67u55jjMbY?si=tLtXZgHHOfi9otP9

About:

Newly restored in 4K by the BFI and Silver Salt Restoration, with the characters and colours sparkling as never before, Watership Down will return to cinemas in the UK and Ireland from 25 October 2024 before it arrives on Limited Edition UHD and Blu-ray on 11 November.

The restoration has its world premiere at the 68th BFI London Film Festival in partnership with American Express, returning us to the group of rabbits who undertake a perilous journey to find their utopia.

An apocalyptic vision pushes a group of rabbits to abandon their warren in search of a new home, in this landmark British animation. Richard Adams' timeless novel is brought brilliantly to life as Hazel, Fiver and Bigwig tackle the brutal realities of the rural world - and mankind's devastating impact on it - as they lead their colony to the utopian Watership Down. Featuring an acclaimed voice cast (including John Hurt and Denholm Elliott), a powerful score by composer Angela Morley and the hit single 'Bright Eyes' by Art Garfunkel, Watership Down is a thrilling tale of adventure, courage and resilience that continues to enthral new and old audiences alike. Newly restored by the BFI and Silver Salt Restoration, using the original 35mm negative and stereo audio tracks, this landmark animation is now available as a limited edition Blu-ray.

'Watership Down stands alone as a horizon never reached - a portal into what animation can be, could be: an art form. It fuels the hope for that future. A delicate, violent, savage confection - perfect and sharp, like a diamond knife'

Extras:
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Newly recorded audio commentary by film and animation experts Catherine Lester and Sam Summers
  • Vintage audio commentary by director Martin Rosen and writer and filmmaker Chris Gore (2003)
  • Defining a Style (2005): short featurette about the film's aesthetic
  • A Conversation with the Filmmakers (2005, 17 mins): Archive featurette in which director Martin Rosen and editor Terry Rawlings discuss the production history of the film
  • Storyboard comparison (2005, 15 mins): a look at four sequences from the film
  • Super 8 version (20 mins): original UK Super 8 digest release of Watership Down
  • Nepenthe Super 8 footage (3 mins): footage shot by Arthur Humberstone, one of the senior animators on Watership Down
  • Designing Watership Down (2024, 5 mins): a gallery containing some of the materials related to Watership Down courtesy of The Arthur Humberstone Animation Archive
  • Trailers and TV spots
  • Once We Were Four (1942, 9 mins): a bunny quartet face an onslaught of badgers, bombs and birds of prey in this black comedy masquerading as a nature film, directed by Mary Field
  • Rabbits or Profits? (1969, 15 mins): public information film providing a potted history of rabbits in the UK
  • Bolly in A Space Adventure (1968, 5 mins): a short Halas & Batchelor animation about the adventures of Bolly and his friends on imaginary planets, featuring animation by Tony Guy, animation director on Watership Down
  • Make Believe (1948, 17 mins): Anson Dyer tells 'The Tale of Ronnie Rabbit' in this documentary showing the various stages of making a cartoon bunny
  • Newly created optional English descriptive subtitles
  • Newly created audio description track for the blind and visually impaired
  • Double-sided poster featuring the original UK quad and the 2024 rerelease artwork
  • A set of four postcards featuring iconic scenes from the film
  • Perfect-bound book featuring writing by Jez Stewart, Catherine Lester, Nigel and Klive Humberstone, Angela Morley, Charlie Brigden, Lillian Crawford, Vic Pratt, Tim Coleman, Caroline Millar Tony Dykes and Michael Brooke
shop.bfi.org.uk

Pre-Order: Watership Down (Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD Edition)

An apocalyptic vision pushes a group of rabbits to abandon their warren in search of a new home, in this landmark British animation. Order Watership Down at the BFI Shop and receive an exclusive and limited edition enamel pin badge!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Aww, wish it was coming to theaters over here. Will definitely get the Blu-Ray tho; I've always been fascinated with this studio.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Ready to traumatize a new generation of children
Now we need similar release for Animals of the Farthing Wood.
Kids these days grow so soft because they don't have to process mice children impaled to tree branches by a shrike as the mice mother watches in helpless horror.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
One of the most beautiful films in the whole wide world. So happy that it's still so beloved and gets a beautiful new release.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent. Saw Watership Down a decade ago and was thinking about this movie recently. Might pick up since I'm interested how this movie was made.

And lets get The Plague Dogs too while we're at it.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely brutal film, my god. But it's beautiful at the same time.

Definitely not one for small kids who love bunnies, but it's powerful stuff for older viewers.

Coincidentally I was listening to the Manics cover of Bright Eyes the other day. That song rules. Didn't realise that the writer came up with the lyrics while his dad was terminally ill. Hits even harder with that knowledge.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I remember we watched this with the whole year in primary school. It was magnificent.

I need to get this 4K

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: Children's content should at times go into the dark and uncomfortable. While animation for children has emotionally matured in its writing, it feels like it's gotten too afraid of going into the scary, uncomfortable, and macabre.

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this the other day, still holds up. The music and atmosphere is off the charts. I watched it about a million times as a kid, it's dark and scary at times but brilliant.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
"This looks like a cute bunny film - going to buy this for my kids sight unseen!"

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: Children's content should at times go into the dark and uncomfortable. While animation for children has emotionally matured in its writing, it feels like it's gotten too afraid of going into the scary, uncomfortable, and macabre.
Did you watch dark, violent stuff like Watership Down as a kid? My family was busy doing something with the house when I was little so they sat me down to watch the cute bunny cartoon that was on TV. I loved rabbits when I was little so I was eager to watch. I push through it to eventually complain to my older brother that the movie was actually scary and I didn't want to watch it any more, and to his credit he took me seriously and sat down to watch some of it with me. Which is when the scene with the comic relief pelican came on.

So he convinces me to keep watching while they work; I don't remember how or why I managed to keep watching other than possibly wanting to see the inevitable happy ending, but eventually they see a violent scene and let me off the hook. Had some crazy nightmares for a while after that, not sure it really toughened me up or whatever it is watching something that violent and engaging as a little kid is supposed to do.

Although to be fair I think I had more nightmares about falling down shafts after watching Empire Strikes Back, but I was young enough that I don't really remember watching the movie for the first time, just the nightmares that came from it.

Nov 5, 2017
Oh god no….I saw this film as a kid, and let's just say…nightmares for life….can't imagine watching it in 4K as a kid….

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely adore the book, and the movie as well. One of my favorite reads.

Don't really buy blu rays or anything, but hopefully it pops up on streaming soonish.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
Did you watch dark, violent stuff like Watership Down as a kid? My family was busy doing something with the house when I was little so they sat me down to watch the cute bunny cartoon that was on TV. I loved rabbits when I was little so I was eager to watch. I push through it to eventually complain to my older brother that the movie was actually scary and I didn't want to watch it any more, and to his credit he took me seriously and sat down to watch some of it with me. Which is when the scene with the comic relief pelican came on.

So he convinces me to keep watching while they work; I don't remember how or why I managed to keep watching other than possibly wanting to see the inevitable happy ending, but eventually they see a violent scene and let me off the hook. Had some crazy nightmares for a while after that, not sure it really toughened me up or whatever it is watching something that violent and engaging as a little kid is supposed to do.

Although to be fair I think I had more nightmares about falling down shafts after watching Empire Strikes Back, but I was young enough that I don't really remember watching the movie for the first time, just the nightmares that came from it.

I remember watching Land Before Time when I was like 5 and being scared shitless. When I was 10 I would also always get up early in the morning to watch horror movies on cable.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
This way you'll get maximum detail when the bunnies are torn to bloodied shreds.

I already have the blu ray, and probably won't upgrade, but I've always loved this movie.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I already have 5 copies including the criterion blu ray…

…fine, I'll get it.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the Blu-ray region free? I assume the 4K disc is, since most are. But, sucks to import things since all the special features go on the Blu-rays which are.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
This damn release. It was announced a couple years ago. So I didn't buy the Criterion blu-ray. Then it got canceled. So I bought the Criterion blu-ray during the last Barnes and Noble half off sale. Then BFI announces the 4k is back on.
Yes I'll probably still double dip because every BFI 4k release I have is a fantastic transfer. But it doesn't mean I'll be happy about it.