Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left

In the ongoing war between WaPo and Bernie Sanders, the latest salvo is truly bizarre; in a story about Sanders raising $34.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2019, the paper chose a very strange picture to accompany the digital version:

The articles in question

WaPo

NPR

HuffPost

This is unbelievable.

For the "just asking questions trolls":
Economic Antisemitism:

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
WaPo is a center-right publication, so it's no surprise that they don't choose pictures that make Sanders look flattering. But this is just ridiculous.
I honestly would have never made that connection.
Anti-semitic imagery doesn't need you to consciously pick it up, it works subconsciously. That hand rubbing picture, and generally dark mood of the picture is no accident.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I look forward to the salty pretzels in here trying to let us know this isn't an issue.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
"Not" Bernie.

Lol, you gotta give them credit. Someone probably spent hours pouring over pictures before finding one with no less than two subliminal messages.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Not really, yes there is a clear similarity in the pose but we don't know why or how that picture was landed on. Also is there a history of this publication posting anti Semitic pictures of him? He's been in politics for awhile now.

Please do not goysplain to me a rag like WaPo using antiSemitic imagery.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, yes there is a clear similarity in the pose but we don't know why or how that picture was landed on. Also is there a history of this publication posting anti Semitic pictures of him? He's been in politics for awhile now.
It's in the OP. It's at least the second time they've used that kind of pose for him.

Oct 27, 2017
106207101-1572264314938rts2t5ab.jpg

2nd image on Google.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow 3 different websites used the same photo? Good shit. Very cool.

I remember some people on Era telling me that Bernie being Jewish was going to hurt is chances. WaPo is putting that theory to the test!

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit

This is beyond trash.

Whoever came up with this and gave It the ok needs to be canned ASAP.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
People will never open their eyes on the press. Leftist alternatives are discredited all over the world like this, this is no accident and this is just the beginning.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
That photo was from the AP/Shutterstock.

I hope they're going after them too/the photographer for advancing this type of anti-Semitism.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was definitely a fuckup and WaPo needs to look into who made the call on the image and why.

Including Walter "voted for Trump" Bragman in the list of outraged "lefties" is also a choice from the OP.
That photo was from the AP/Shutterstock.

I hope they're going after them too/the photographer for advancing this type of anti-Semitism.
Alone the image is fine. It's the specific context alongside the article.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is the accusation here that it's deliberately anti-Semitic or that it just wasn't noticed when they used the wire photo and it should have been?

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
For anyone curious about this, generally there are guidelines that a newspaper or other news organization about what pictures are and are not acceptable to use as B roll for persons in articles, if there's a deviation from presenting the person in a generally pleasant light it should reflect the tenor of the story. In both these cases it doesn't and is therefore incompetent at best.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah anyone defending this shit is being disingenuous.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They definitely need to check if the same photo editor was involved with both the AOC and Sanders picture.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
So is the accusation here that it's deliberately anti-Semitic or that it just wasn't noticed when they used the wire photo and it should have been?

No one knows, but any large news outlet should have enough foresight to not be tripping over their dick accidentally posting imagery that plays into cartoonishly racist caricatures.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They definitely need to check if the same photo editor was involved with both the AOC and Sanders picture.

Agreed. Could be easy to blame on an intern, but more than likely they only have a few specific editors on staff that handle certain categories (Politics, Sports, etc).

Some digging around Linkedin could turn up something.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one knows, but any large news outlet should have enough foresight to not be tripping over their dick accidentally posting imagery that plays into cartoonishly racist caricatures.

But the two are pretty different. Honestly the photo personally wouldn't have made me blink, so having it pointed out and then removing it promptly wouldn't make me feel like there's necessarily any malice there.

No excuse if it was anti-semetism of course but removing it after it being pointed out seems kind of ok to me. I think you could honestly poll people and you'd find few who would make the connection. That's not to say it's not an issue but just to say removing it after it's mentioned suggests this might be what happened and the response was reasonable.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Good example of implicit racism.

The Bezos comments in this thread are so stupid. Like, that comment is legitimately a line Trump uses every day, but as soon as the WaPo publishes something that isn't glowing about Sanders it's "BEzos at it again!" It's wrong when Trump says it every day, and it's just as wrong as when you say it.