Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel the Bern.

"In the event of an open 2024 Democratic presidential primary, Sen. Sanders has not ruled out another run for president, so we advise that you answer any questions about 2024 with that in mind," says the memo from Faiz Shakir, a close Sanders adviser who was his campaign manager when he ran in 2020.

The memo was shared by a person with direct knowledge of its contents on the condition of anonymity because it was not released publicly, and confirmed by a second person with direct knowledge of the contents.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie ran a decent campaign against Hillary in 2016. His campaign in 2020 was lackluster and didn't build on his previous support. Not sure how a 2024 run would change.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
So the Democrats are going to run with either an 81 or an 82 year old? Can we get some younger candidates already?

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
People over 70 should be banned from running for President, shit is absurd. No one hires old people for jobs, they shouldn't be running countries.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I had the wrong takeaway from the 2020 primary but I feel like it was shown that you don't necessarily need a strenuous grassroots campaign.

So maybe at his age he could still pull it off? He'd be the biggest name in the field unless Clinton comes out of retirement.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, time has passed for him and for Warren, unfortunately. I wouldn't complain about him hanging out on the debate stage, but frankly it'd be a huge waste of time and money.

If Biden is unable or unwilling to run in 2024, the Democrats don't have a super deep bench. Harris is the obvious heir, but her odds of winning a national election are super slim. MAYBE Buttigieg has a shot, if he can use the cabinet as a launchpad. Maybe.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
So the Democrats are going to run with either an 81 or an 82 year old? Can we get some younger candidates already?
But how would that personally further the careers of the ancient Democratic Party old guard? They're all looking to exit politics the Dianne Feinstein way, without any remaining awareness but still in power.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how viable it is for Biden to actually get primaried.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Obama being 47 when he became president feels like hiring someone out of community college to be CEO of Apple by comparison. These dudes are too old!

We need people that will be alive to see all the bullshit they do to this planet and country.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd vote for him over pretty much anyone else, but there's no way (barring something major) Biden doesn't run again.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I love Bernie but damn, i just think he's too old. The only realistic thing would be for him to have a super strong vice presidential candidate with him.
Its a shame, we really need some younger blood but the best we can come up with are some old farts.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'll vote for who I think will be best for the role with the best chance to win regardless of their age. At some point in a primary age becomes a factor as an electoral issue for a general election, but if they can win a primary and seem like contenders for a general then I don't care.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, time has passed for him and for Warren, unfortunately. I wouldn't complain about him hanging out on the debate stage, but frankly it'd be a huge waste of time and money.

If Biden is unable or unwilling to run in 2024, the Democrats don't have a super deep bench. Harris is the obvious heir, but her odds of winning a national election are super slim. MAYBE Buttigieg has a shot, if he can use the cabinet as a launchpad. Maybe.

2024, without Biden, might look similar to 2020:

Harris
Buttigieg
Sherrod Brown
Booker
Haaland (maybe!)
Whitmer or Benson from Michigan
Some moderate Rep from a rust belt state
Probably some random billionaire

dots

Oct 27, 2017
He needed to quit on the dream when he had the heart attack and couldn't keep up a full campaign schedule.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One one hand Bernie really is too old but at the same time he's one of the few good ones so *shrugs*

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd vote for him or Warren over the current prospects. Would like some younger progressives to run but the political machine doesn't inspire confidence.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Love Bernie. Voted for him in 2016 and 2020 (first choice leaned Warren, but Bernie had a better shot of the two).

But he's simply too old now.

Unfortunately, the Dem party has been very effective at blocking young progressives from rising through the ranks, or even joining the ranks in the first place. So I'm not really sure who the next Progressive standard bearer would even be. There's AOC, but she's maybe too young still and doesn't seem interested in higher office any time soon.

Most of the "young blood" who would more likely run are closer to the centrist/moderate mold.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Bernie seems like good people who has genuine care for the people, but we have to stop with these old heads hitting office. Bad enough it might seriously be Biden vs. Trump Round 2 to which I think Trump wins possibly easy… fresh blood is really needed

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019

Buttigieg is awful. If one thinks Bernie never resonated with POC Butti is a million times worse. Bernie would have my support even if he were comatose. The difference bwtween Bernie and other very old candidates is Bernie would make a concious effort to pass the torch to a younger generation. There is no stronger supporter of young activists than he.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, the Dem party has been very effective at blocking young progressives from rising through the ranks, or even joining the ranks in the first place. So I'm not really sure who the next Progressive standard bearer would even be. There's AOC, but she's maybe too young still and doesn't seem interested in higher office any time soon.

Most of the "young blood" who would more likely run are closer to the centrist/moderate mold.
Well said, it's a real problem.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie really needs to focus on building up a handful of successors with progressive ideals that he can throw his full support behind so he can take a step back. I'm sick of politics just being an octogenarian slap fight. We need more presidentially viable younger faces than just Mayor Pete on the left

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I'm not from the US, but I feel like the "Bernie is too old" crowd just wants some kind of excuse not to vote for him when the underlying reasons are not at all about his age.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
What's funny to me is that people think he'll be able to get stuff done if he wins in 2024, let alone 2020. Congress will be even more hostile than it is now to progressive thoughts/changes. Kinda curious if people on the left will be so quick to bury him when his agenda doesn't go through either.