• No

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
16359_1_1080p.jpg

Watching it right now and Arnold looks a little too shiny/sqeeky clean, but other than that I don't see what was the hubub about this release? The 4K transfer looks great otherwise even without the grain.

Worth the $10 I paid for it and it comes with the Blu Ray original.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It was a side effect of the film being converted to 3D, this is from that transfer. Film grain isn't super great with the 3D effect, so it needs to be scrubbed for that. It's a shame that made it to this release, but I wasn't surprised they didn't do a separate transfer for this

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
They changed the color timing in this release to give it a more blueish tint. That's one of the reasons people complain about it.

TCEdcGw.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What's the point of having a 4K DI, when every bit of detail is scrubbed and waxed?
It was a side effect of the film being converted to 3D, this is from that transfer. Film grain isn't super great with the 3D effect, so it needs to be scrubbed for that. It's a shame that made it to this release, but I wasn't surprised they didn't do a separate transfer for this
I guess I just don't know what to look for because I still think it looks great too me. *Shrug* ignorance is bliss lol

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
The DNR and Blue Tint make it less than great, which is a shame because everything else is damn good.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the fucking point of 4k resolution if they scrub the detail out of the image. Such a joke.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
For me, the blue tint and lack of film grain (DNR for the 3D release that stuck around) is really unfortunate and noticeable. I prefer the T2 Blu-Ray disc that came with the Terminator Anthology set which has accurate color timing.

On the flip side, I exclusively watch the 4K transfers of the Matrix trilogy because that have color timing accurate to the theatrical release unlike the Blu-Ray releases which were just drowning in green tint.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Blergh.. you should never have to worry whether the updated released is worst than the previous.. uhd has been a bit of a mess tbh.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I just don't know what to look for because I still think it looks great too me. *Shrug* ignorance is bliss lol
You can always tell by less grain and very easily on human's skin. Lack of wrinkles, pock marks, crow's nest, dimples, skin irregularities. Think a wax face.

I can't unsee it, and it doesn't ruin the film honestly, but as a film purist/buff it's def. annoying.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been a definitive HD transfer of this movie? I seem to remember every release had something kind of odd about it.

See:

Is there a version on Blu Ray that you would consider to be the definitive version?
Absolutely not, unfortunately.

The new 4K transfer is notoriously one of the worst 4K discs out there, mainly due to the excessive use of DNR (digital noise reduction). Basically they wipe away all the natural film grain, leaving an unnatural looking picture. People look like wax figures. DNR is not inherently bad, all Blu-ray will use it to some extent. But when taken to the extreme it can look pretty bad.

The old Skynet Blu-ray release, also made excessive use of DNR. I think it looks pretty bad too.

So, IMO, the best looking release on home video is the 2015 Blu-ray:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/127046/

which doesn't even have a review on that site. It's the same transfer as the Skynet edition, but without the overuse of DNR. Still, a dated transfer that leaves a lot to be desired. It also includes the extended cut (optionally). It has some good special features.

You can compare screenshots of various versions here:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=4415

T2 has had such a checkered past on home video, with multiple releases on each major format. Unfortunately all the special features aren't consolidated into one definitive release.

Maybe one day.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
They changed the color timing in this release to give it a more blueish tint. That's one of the reasons people complain about it.

TCEdcGw.png

I haven't seen a 35mm print since the film's release but that bottom pic isn't accurate either. Look at the two shirts on either side: they're too pink.

You have to be careful when comparing old transfers because more often than not, they were brightened and the colors made more neutral for home video.

PS: here's a fan edit which takes the latest bluray, adds in a layer of grain and retimes the color. Might be what some of you are looking for.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got this and watched it recently, thought it looked nice. The movie looks a lot more modern. I haven't directly compared it with previous transfers, though.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It's not as good as it could've been but it's better than the rest of the HD transfers.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Hmmm, I don't own the UHD and came into this thread knowing just how maligned the release is, but comparing those shots with the recommended US 2015 release, I'd say the UHD comes out the clear winner. No, the DNR isn't a great move, and yet even with it, there's noticeably more detail in a lot of those shots compared to the relatively poor 2015 release.

Look at John Connor's jacket. Retaining way more fine detail. And the highlights are massively improved thanks to HDR - look at all the information lost in the sky and wall in the second example, and the sunlight on the door, the overhead light, and Arnie's forehead in the first example. If I were picking this up tomorrow, I'd 100% go with the UHD based on those images.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
They smoothed the grain and made everything teal. It's horrible and I'm sorry I payed $7 for it.