Votes: 50 28.7%
  • Sorry I don't speak wrong

Votes: 69 39.7%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Context: it was in a meme group for teaching English as a second language in Japan. JTE is "Japanese Teacher of English"

8akyi4Q.jpg

It was meant as a friendly jab at British English, (the joke being that British English and Japanese-English are equally wrong) but to my surprise, people took it really seriously and started leaving comments like "don't you feel superior now!?" and angry reacts. Not everyone, but enough people to make me feel bad.

I thought it was really obvious it was just a joke. Now I don't know, and I half expect this thread to surprise me too

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It can come across as being a bit condescending. These types of jokes really only work in person because it's hard to interpret your intended tone over the internet.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I'm struggling to even understand what it's trying to say. It's not clear at all.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I just couldn't imagine anyone posting it in a seriously condescending way. Guess I should be more careful from now on.
Really depends on if you know the people too - people online are typically just on edge and can feel personally attacked by anything. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, you were making a harmless jab.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
British English wrong ? It's the murican english that is wrong ! You philistine !

Waggles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I'm struggling to even understand what it's trying to say. It's not clear at all.

im imaging op getting upset that them foreigners aren't speaking 'murican and it's making me chuckle.

op needs to enlighten the rest of us ignorant folk to what he's referring to in the meme. Im assuming he means particular phrases or phrasing?

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
im imaging op getting upset that them foreigners aren't speaking 'murican and it's making me chuckle.

op needs to enlighten the rest of us ignorant folk to what he's referring to in the meme. Im assuming he means particular phrases or phrasing?
We work for a dispatch company that sends us to schools. One person replaces another. Since we come from all over the world, sometimes they get an American, sometimes a British person, or someone from New Zealand etc. So all of his students had learned British English and British spelling. My predecessor was British.

I dunno I just feel really bad that I offended people

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When memes require more words than the point you're trying to make ... I ... just don't get the point of the meme.

Y'know they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but like... in this case, it's also requiring a thousand words to explain it.

I dunno if this is the point OP is making, but nobody owns English, there's no right or wrong way to speak English. Some people try to own it or put down rules to try to make it like a language like French, which has an official body that oversees and approves of the French language, but nobody agrees with that in English and so anybody trying to own it or argue there's some proper way to speak English is just wrong. Why? Because any English speaker is as much an authority on English as any other, by design.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not funny and it digs at people trying to learn and teach second languages.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
It's more confusing than offensive but it's close enough to the stereotype of "mocking foreign person for not speaking English well" that so many Americans, who can barely speak English, let alone a second or third language, are fond of that you should probably have expected some negative reactions.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
When memes require more words than the point you're trying to make ... I ... just don't get the point of the meme.

Y'know they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but like... in this case, it's also requiring a thousand words to explain it.

I dunno if this is the point OP is making, but nobody owns English, there's no right or wrong way to speak English. Some people try to own it or put down rules to try to make it like a language like French, which has an official body that oversees and approves of the French language, but nobody agrees with that in English and so anybody trying to own it or argue there's some proper way to speak English is just wrong. Why? Because any English speaker is as much an authority on English as any other, by design.
OP's joke seems to making the exact opposite point though.

That said I'd contest that if any English is "correct" it'd be English from England...

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Here is a handy flowchart:

Should I post this meme that could be misinterpreted?
|
|
|
\/
No

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
OP's joke seems to making the exact opposite point though.

That said I'd contest that if any English is "correct" it'd be English from England...
It is, but in a "nobody could seriously think like that" way. Obviously (or not I guess) I wasn't actually correcting British English.

Also, handing in my meme lord card now, the real offense is that it's not funny apparently

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you reach out to the people you offended rather than us and ask them what you did wrong and how to correct it?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
No, club activities is like, fake English that Japanese people use. Instead of saying "I belong to a club" they frequently say "I did club activities" which isn't necessarily wrong but also sounds awkward.

1. It sounds awkward *to you*.

2. It was a clearly unprofessional meme tbh. If you said it to a British guy who you know well (or at least was an acquaintance), nothing wrong with it. But in the context of saying it to someone who is learning English as a second language, oof. You do realise you are in a work environment and not a TA/RA group at uni or something?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
op, the beauty of english is that you can make it bend to your will therefore no one is wrong

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Why don't you reach out to the people you offended rather than us and ask them what you did wrong and how to correct it?
I did, I eventually deleted it.
1. It sounds awkward *to you*.

2. It was a clearly unprofessional meme tbh. If you said it to a British guy who you know well (or at least was an acquaintance), nothing wrong with it. But in the context of saying it to someone who is learning English as a second language, oof. You do realise you are in a work environment and not a TA/RA group at uni or something?
I never thought of a meme group as a professional environment, but you might have a point.

op, the beauty of english is that you can make it bend to your will therefore no one is wrong
I agree with this.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
It is, but in a "nobody could seriously think like that" way. Obviously (or not I guess) I wasn't actually correcting British English.

Also, handing in my meme lord card now, the real offense is that it's not funny apparently

It just doesn't come off like that, especially since it's clearly about you because your predecessor was British. And I'm not convinced you didn't mean it in a negative way when you're saying Japanese people use "fake English" and stuff like that in this very topic.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Don't you be telling those students to take out the "u" in colour, either.

(wags finger)

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This kind of joke relies too much on a very specific interpretation. From just reading without context it sounds like you're making fun of the teacher for being wrong, not also British English.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
It just doesn't come off like that, especially since it's clearly about you because your predecessor was British. And I'm not convinced you didn't mean it in a negative way when you're saying Japanese people use "fake English" and stuff like that in this very topic.
"Wasei eigo" (literally fake English) is a real thing, though. It refers to English loan words that aren't spoken that way in English, which aren't wrong in Japanese, but which you should teach against saying if you're going to speak English to a native speaker.

And yeah, I guess in retrospect, the tone is completely lost. I feel ashamed.