Nov 30, 2019
I come back in here and learn two things:

1. Structural racism extends to food prep habits

2. I should try brining my chicken

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
You don't brine meat with a faucet that forces material into the air

To thaw/rinse I always put the meat in a bowl of water then poured the water out. Slowly.

When brining I'd turn the water on, pour the brine out with one hand while holding the meat in the bowl, then refill the bowl with the meat with a bit of water to rinse the brine off, then slowly pour it out again.

Then wash my hands.

Y'all really think we out here with the water force on full throttle just splashing juices everywhere while we scrub chicken clean one piece at a time?

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Nevermind washing chicken, massaging it with salt first is where it's at

gotta exfoliate that meat

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have my own method of cleaning meat products. It involves putting them in a really hot enclosure and/or container and waiting a while.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Only thing I do with non-ground beef is toss some kosher salt on it and let it sit on a pan in the fridge for a day or two to dry brine. Don't bother seasoning it fully until you're about to cook it because the only thing that actually penetrates the muscle is the salt when it draws out the water and then soaks back in (and keeps going this to tenderize it some). Doing this also helps you get a better browning.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Your entire shtick this thread has been directly looking at folks explaining that A.) historical differences in the acquisition of food, and that food's quality, between different ethnicities helped in part to give rise to different food prep practices, that B.) inequalities still exist with regards to access to food safety information and the availability of quality of food between different ethnicities, C.) that scientifically, people do not change deeply-ingrained cultural practices and beliefs immediately based upon merely being presented with conflicting information, especially if the information isn't really addressing the root causes of a cultural practice, and going

"Fuck all of that. If you don't act like I do you're just anti-science."

BIG colonizer energy, and with your whole chest too.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
we wash that butthole in what tho? water...
You know how you can avoid getting bacteria all over the sink area? Take the chicken into the shower with you.

images

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I pat raw meat dry with a paper towel before I season (assuming I haven't done a dry brine with it already) or cook with it so I get a good sear (should the dish call for it).

Edit: I absolutely do wipe down the kitchen with some well diluted Clorox (or something equally as strong of a disinfectant) after I've prepped my ingredients or while they are cooking if it's something I can leave unattended bfor a few minutes (searing, letting the dish come to a boil). My Dad made me very paranoid about contamination due to where he worked so I'm thankful that habit was instilled in me.

I'm not in the habit of telling people what to do in their own homes though, and I would only do so after I've been invited to offer my input. If I was say helping a friend cook and this is what they did I'd roll with (while being anxious about keeping track of everything to wipe down) but I'd try to follow along as best I could.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019
It's something just about everyone in my family does except for me. I'm not wasting my time with something that doesn't actually benefit me. They:

1. Place the meat in a large bowl with vinegar, salt, and lime juice/ Put a pot of water on the stove to boil
2. Rub the meat vigorously with lime
3. Let it sit there for a couple of minutes so the vinegar and lime kill the bacteria(?)
4. Pour the boiling water onto the chicken and let that sit for a few minutes
5. Drain and dry the meat and now it's ready for seasoning and whatnot.

That's a long-ass process and I'll be damned if I'm doing any of that.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's something just about everyone in my family does except for me. I'm not wasting my time with something that doesn't actually benefit me. They:

1. Place the meat in a large bowl with vinegar, salt, and lime juice/ Put a pot of water on the stove to boil
3. Let it sit there for a couple of minutes so the vinegar and lime kill the bacteria(?)

I was always thought hot water on raw chicken is a no-no. But I'm more than sure I've eaten it tons of times w/ no issues so whatever.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Your entire shtick this thread has been directly looking at folks explaining that A.) historical differences in the acquisition of food, and that food's quality, between different ethnicities helped in part to give rise to different food prep practices, that B.) inequalities still exist with regards to access to food safety information and the availability of quality of food between different ethnicities, C.) that scientifically, people do not change deeply-ingrained cultural practices and beliefs immediately based upon merely being presented with conflicting information, especially if the information isn't really addressing the root causes of a cultural practice, and going

"Fuck all of that. If you don't act like I do you're just anti-science."

BIG colonizer energy, and with your whole chest too.
I'll repeat; Good lord.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017

I guess the good news is that they're just using pretty good natural ingredients. Hopefully they're not doing something truly dangerous like cooking afterwards with any seed oils

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

parboiling the chicken, lots of cultures do this for a lot of meats, lol. not america of course.

lots of reasons to do it, from altering cooking times, to altering food textures. plus it helps....uh.... you know what.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Open wrapper
  2. Throw on very hot grill
  3. Eat
Besides, what bacteria do you think you're getting rid of, rinsing the surface of your meat under water?

Washing meat is not about washing off harmful bacteria. It's about washing off less-harmful bacteria that can negatively impact flavor.

Like sometimes you get really fresh chicken and it smells like nothing. Sometimes you get chicken that's not spoiled, but is a bit slimy and has a strong poultry smell to it. Washing removes unpleasant odors which result from bacteria that is not necessarily harmful.

I don't necessarily do it with poultry, but fish is a no brainer. I keep frozen fish basa in the freezer all the time, and it has a bit of a fishy smell/taste to it since it's not fresh out of the water. So I rinse it to get rid of the taste and I have a much cleaner tasting filet as a result.

And I said this before, but there are some cuts you absolutely do need to wash. Any kind of coarse chopped meat/bone combination needs to be washed carefully to remove blood and bone shards.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
parboiling the chicken, lots of cultures do this for a lot of meats, lol. not america of course.

lots of reasons to do it, from altering cooking times, to altering food textures. plus it helps....uh.... you know what.
My dad usually parboils chicken before baking or grilling it, because he is unbelievably paranoid about eating undercooked meat.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
To thaw/rinse I always put the meat in a bowl of water then poured the water out. Slowly.

When brining I'd turn the water on, pour the brine out with one hand while holding the meat in the bowl, then refill the bowl with the meat with a bit of water to rinse the brine off, then slowly pour it out again.

Then wash my hands.

Y'all really think we out here with the water force on full throttle just splashing juices everywhere while we scrub chicken clean one piece at a time?

You're not supposed to thaw meat in a bowl either lol. This is just nonsense. The science is literally telling you it's unsafe, washing the meat does nothing and is actually harmful and thawing meat in cold water is a good way to get food poisoning.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
You're not supposed to thaw meat in a bowl either lol. This is just nonsense. The science is literally telling you it's unsafe, washing the meat does nothing and is actually harmful and thawing meat in cold water is a good way to get food poisoning.

the science can come here and cook this dinner or shut the hell up. and your link actually says cold water thaw is okay.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care if people don't wash or wash their chicken or whatever, I'm pretty sure my mom did that back in the day.

But I do find it funny seeing people shocked about how long things can last in the freezer lol

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Where does that link say "Don't thaw in bowl". It just suggests a bag and says be careful the bag can leak and spew water everywhere. You know what doesn't spew water everywhere? A bowl.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Washing meat is not about washing off harmful bacteria. It's about washing off less-harmful bacteria that can negatively impact flavor.

Like sometimes you get really fresh chicken and it smells like nothing. Sometimes you get chicken that's not spoiled, but is a bit slimy and has a strong poultry smell to it. Washing removes unpleasant odors which result from bacteria that is not necessarily harmful.

I don't necessarily do it with poultry, but fish is a no brainer. I keep frozen fish basa in the freezer all the time, and it has a bit of a fishy smell/taste to it since it's not fresh out of the water. So I rinse it to get rid of the taste and I have a much cleaner tasting filet as a result.

And I said this before, but there are some cuts you absolutely do need to wash. Any kind of coarse chopped meat/bone combination needs to be washed carefully to remove blood and bone shards.

If your chicken smells it's gone bad and washing it with water isn't removing the toxins created by the bacteria that is causing the smell

This thread is illuminating

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wash the meat? Uhhh no.

I've wiped the meat before to get excess off for cooking purposes... but yeah you just fry that chicken.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
No no no. Pat dry with a paper towel…yes. Wash under water no unless your talking a fresh fish I just gutted needs cleaned. As someone who cooked in multiple restaurants over a 12 year period of my life it isn't being "washed" there either. Literally no reason to do this as the only effect you might have is cross contamination as others have mentioned.

Aug 13, 2019
I guess the good news is that they're just using pretty good natural ingredients. Hopefully they're not doing something truly dangerous like cooking afterwards with any seed oils

Nah, typically after that's done the meat is covered in a special seasoning blend and either baked, boiled again in a sauce, or fried in veggie oil.

I'm pretty sure they only do it for sanitary reasons, not cook time or texture. Whenever my family cooks meat, in this case, chicken, it basically stays under until they like the color, so dark brown, and that can take a while so the meat ends up overcooked just about every time. If the chicken is fried or baked it's basically only edible fresh. After it cools down it's hard and chewie as hell, like biting into rubber, even when reheated.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I used to do that because that's how mom does it, then I read a few reasons why it's kinda pointless at best. I towel off the excess moisture and go about my prep. If the cooking method doesn't kill anything that might be on/in it, rinsing probably wouldn't have helped anyway.

1. Structural racism extends to food prep habits

...shouldn't be surprised but I guess I gotta read the rest of the thread to find out how, specifically.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
That's how my fellow white people I know rinse chicken etc., yes, so that would probably be the natural assumption. I've also been served unseasoned chicken/turkey more times than I can count though and they're probably the same people so I think they just don't know how to prep chicken.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
That's how my fellow white people I know rinse chicken etc., yes, so that would probably be the natural assumption. I've also been served unseasoned chicken/turkey more times than I can count though and they're probably the same people so I think they just don't know how to prep chicken.
lmaooooo the killer was inside the house all this time

water full blasting hard as shit more powerful than their love for America

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
...shouldn't be surprised but I guess I gotta read the rest of the thread to find out how, specifically.
It's pretty simple. If your folks have historically been given the filthiest scraps from the people who shackled them as slaves, and from abolition on have been subject to both deliberate mishandling of meat from assholes, as well as general access to lower quality meats in the local area due to inequalities related to things like food distribution and Jim Crow laws, and we get on further down the line regarding the issues with food desserts and things, guess what you might start doing to your meat to try and cut down on illness.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Remember to never eat medium rare steaks or runny eggs or you'll be in flagrant violation of the CDC's food safety guidelines

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the science can come here and cook this dinner or shut the hell up. and your link actually says cold water thaw is okay.
As long as the meat is cook thoroughly none of that matters (and you don't want a medium rare chicken) but in terms off food safety, the safest way to thaw meat is to do it in the fridge.

Though I think in general people take rules that are designed for restaurants and apply them to home cooking a little bit too enthusiastically. It's not exactly the same situation.