• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
And it's as hilarious as you'd expect.

Her commentary on the MC's thoughts are especially brutal.

EDIT: I should explain Kizuna Ai. She is an internet personality who happens to be a CG anime character. She does a lot of comedy videos and Let's Plays of various games. Some of those game include INSIDE, RE VII, Mario Odyssey and some mobile games you wouldn't touch.
She was popular enough in 2017 to inspire a ton of copycats like Kaguya Luna and Siro.
Some extra videos for context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZckAmcA6Fw

Last edited:

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this would be a great first run through of Doki Doki so I didn't have to play it, but it's translated into Japanese and, because of how YouTube subtitles work, they only sub what she says.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Da fuck is a "virtual youtuber".
If I understand correctly, the character is either a facial captured (or hand animated) character as the voice actor either plays or watches footage of the games.

From having seen a few of the older videos, originally her tone and mannerism of speaking was meant to be much more AI like, but has basically progressed over time.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Anime was a mistake, we have to go back, I don't want to be on this planet anymore, etc.

But seriously, I just saw an Anime Virtual Youtuber doings a leys play of an animesque Visual Novel. I should be tripping balls or some shit to even begin to handle this level of insanity.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been confused by Kizuna Ai. Is she completely independent or is she just a 3D model that someone else is talking through?

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched her Getting over it video. She ends up getting so frustrated that she turns to the live chat and asks them to think of things that make them happy, lol.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
I've always been confused by Kizuna Ai. Is she completely independent or is she just a 3D model that someone else is talking through?
Are you asking if she's a real person?!
9ovvu0I.gif

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
"Childhood friends huh? Why don't you two date already!"

THANK YOU

AI UNDERSTANDS SHIT SO MUCH AND I LOVE HER FOR IT

Hammee

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
This is the future. We will watch video games play video games and we won't actually play the video games.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Does she have a decent size team? Surprising that her stuff gets completely translated into English. I didn't know that until today. I was confused why so many foreigners were watching her, because I thought they couldn't understand her haha.

She's pretty funny!

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
User Warned: Threadwhining - Please don’t come into threads just to complain about them.
Oh cool, a scarecam (But it's an anime girl!) LPer playing a horror game.

How boring, let me guess, tomorrow we're getting a Markiplier thread?

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Does she have a decent size team? Surprising that her stuff gets completely translated into English. I didn't know that until today. I was confused why so many foreigners were watching her, because I thought they couldn't understand her haha.

She's pretty funny!
Subtitles are added by the community, other users. You can do it for pretty much any video.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love her! I'd watch anime again if it could script some of her candid stuff realistically. xD

EDIT: lol a lot of 'old people yelling at cloud' comments already.
Is this really any worse than the 200th teen shouting expletives at an FPS?
Exactly. It's better. :P
Give her a shot if you're even vaguely like watching Let's Players, she's actually pretty fun.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Ai is great. I always wonder how big the team behind the scenes is. It's it just the VA? Who did the modeling? What program are they using to map the models movements to the actress? How do the facial expressions get decided?

Fun to watch tho

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind if all the youtubers were replaced by virtual ones. At least until the virtual ones also turned into racist garbage people.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Ai is great. I always wonder how big the team behind the scenes is. It's it just the VA? Who did the modeling? What program are they using to map the models movements to the actress? How do the facial expressions get decided?

Fun to watch tho

I don't know what it's called but I know there's some easy to use program which overlays anime characters onto people and can even copy facial expressions. I've seen a handful of twitch streamers use it. All they'd probably have to do is make a model which works with the program.

Though AI's facial expressions are particularly good so it's possible they have their own more advanced program.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i thought it was weird people watched other people play games, but now people watch AIs play with themselves

quick glance on the videos shows impressive animation/sync though. really curious about the program being used for this

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
i thought it was weird people watched other people play games, but now people watch AIs play with themselves

quick glance on the videos shows impressive animation/sync though. really curious about the program being used for this

This was my takeaway as well. I am fascinated at how smoothly this works. I looked up the other virtual youtubers and their stuff doesn't seem to sync as well.

Salamande

Oct 25, 2017

Fun to watch tho
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just one or two people. Prices on mo-cap have come down a lot. I'd guess it's something like a Perception Neuron setup, which you can get for $1500 and provides full-body capture. You can do real-time tracking output to Unity or Unreal and have stuff like hand gestures and facial expressions either set up as hotkeys for live events, or added in cleanup. It's surprisingly easy and cheap to get going.

Last edited: