mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
From a bottom line perspective I wouldn't doubt it, although it does look like Tropical Freeze on Switch only sold a couple million. It isn't crazy that between two Bayonetta's and Astral Chain it would be close. But I think Nintendo does see value in diversifying their releases regardless.
As far as ROI though, it's pretty clear.
DKCTF certainly cost a hell of a lot less than Astral Chain ever did (unless AC was done like a Suda project or something, that also doesn't mean TF was super cheap as well).

Oct 27, 2017
As far as ROI though, it's pretty clear.
DKCTF certainly cost a hell of a lot less than Astral Chain ever did (unless AC was done like a Suda project or something, that also doesn't mean TF was super cheap as well).
Well Tropical Freeze was a port while AC was a new IP so it was a nonsensical and unfair comparison in the first place. Especially since whatever sales TF made probably doesn't make up for running Retro for nearly a decade with no releases (granted they have supported other games and are in the middle of developing MP4 and possibly the MP1 remaster/remake) in Austin, Texas which has to be expensive

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The problem with GAAS was never "multiplayer" but the fact the monetisation system fundamentally changes how content is delivered and unlocking mechanics for free content. I love the Crash Team Racing remaster but the fact that I'm stuck on gacha for unlocking characters and can only unlock certain characters at a time really dampens the fun of getting 100%. GAAS fundamentally changes the design of a game and that will always be a valid reason to be against it.
That depends entirely on the developer and project. Like BOTW was a GAAS and the only thing it lacked was the classic costumes which were only accessible via mods on PC or by engaging with the pricy amiibos that give you one item a day. Otherwise as is the product without feeding into the monetization is still the largest Zelda game ever. Execution will always matter and not every game becomes a grindfest if you don't engage with the monetization. Pretty sure most people who work in that field realize that that would be a very bad idea.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
That depends entirely on the developer and project. Like BOTW was a GAAS and the only thing it lacked was the classic costumes which were only accessible via mods or by engaging with the pricy amiibos. Otherwise as is the product without feeding into the monetization is the largest Zelda game ever.

What about BotW was GAAS? Or are you counting all games with season passes as GAAS?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That depends entirely on the developer and project. Like BOTW was a GAAS and the only thing it lacked was the classic costumes which were only accessible via mods or by engaging with the pricy amiibos. Otherwise as is the product without feeding into the monetization is the largest Zelda game ever.
feels like a stretch to treat BotW as GaaS when the Service part is either the DLCs or the amiibos that quickly became unavailable and tappered waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before BotW did (seriously BotW is STILL a top selling Switch game in EVERY region)
Granted the argument can be made.
Well Tropical Freeze was a port while AC was a new IP so it was a nonsensical and unfair comparison in the first place. Especially since whatever sales TF made probably doesn't make up for running Retro for nearly a decade with no releases (granted they have supported other games and are in the middle of developing MP4 and possibly the MP1 remaster/remake) in Austin, Texas which has to be expensive
The comparison wasn't AC vs DKCTF but DKCTF vs everything P* made for Nintendo.
I imagine that comparison includes both Bayo rereleases (I know it's Sega but still).

Still the difference is that Retros is wholly owned and provides products Nintendo wouldn't make otherwise, they have good reasons to keep Retros around or it would have closed already (or Retros' CEO is really chummy with top management at Nintendo).

Regardless no games made by Retro or P* were made with direct bottom line in mind, the games are made to provide more incentives for people to engage with Nintendo's platform.
Otherwise Nintendo would only release Mario Kart and Animal Crossing games

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What about BotW was GAAS?
By Nintendo's own definition of how they define the term:
To promote longer gameplay for individual software titles. we plan to implement even more downloadable content and events that build excitement for games.

Pre-release BOTW not only had a public roadmap for content releases, they also released free updates that just happened to come in between the big expansions. On top of all of that, the way the Amiibos function in BOTW literally encourages you to come back very specifically, every 24 hours to randomly receive a classic item from other Zelda games. For all itents and purposes, and by Nintendo's own definition, BOTW is a game with a post launch monetization scheme. Which is the universally agreed on definition of how we define games that fall under the term as more and more game publishers/developers realized that the fire/forget model, that say, Skyward Sword falls under, wasn't as sustainable as game development got more and more expensive. And according to Nintendo, they're planning on doubling down on this so I'll eat a hat if we don't get an even more post launch support for BOTW 2. Now how would Platinum handle this is unknown. As their only real attempts at doing so were mostly MP focused games, even though they're a studio that specializes in SP games. Like maybe a roadmap for extra playable characters/content?

Last edited:

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. If Nintendo doesn't buy us, we'll hire one of their workers to run us and operate as if they bought us out anyways! -- OP Prolly

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
By Nintendo's own definition of how they define the term:

Pre-release BOTW not only had a public roadmap for content releases, they also released free updates that just happened to come in between the big expansions. On top of all of that, the way the Amiibos function in BOTW literally encourages you to come back very specifically, every 24 hours to randomly receive a classic item from other Zelda games. For all itents and purposes, and by Nintendo's own definition, BOTW is a game with a post launch monetization scheme. Which is the universally agreed on definition of how we define games that fall under the term as more and more game publishers/developers realized that the fire/forget model, that say, Skyward Sword falls under, wasn't as sustainable as game development got more and more expensive.
That's actually a very good point.

Interestingly enough daily activities is something that will make me drop a game faster than if there was nothing at all.
BotW is the one example where I actually stuck to it.
The fact that the daily shit was just literally a random reward and not a pointless shitty quest probably helped.
The game is also so big exhausting the base content take a regular player months!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's actually a very good point.

Interestingly enough daily activities is something that will make me drop a game faster than if there was nothing at all.
BotW is the one example where I actually stuck to it.
The fact that the daily shit was just literally a random reward and not a pointless shitty quest probably helped.
The game is also so big exhausting the base content take a regular player months!
Hence my saying that execution is super important. People would probably raise an eyebrow if say, the amiibo system was presented, UI wise, like a daily quest in something like Fortnite.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Hence my saying that execution is super important. People would probably raise an eyebrow if say, the amiibo system was presented, UI wise, like a daily quest in something like Fortnite.
At the end of the day, it's a mix between lootbox, daily quest and collectable.
By all rights, it should be an abomination that makes the game predatory more than anything.
the unique nature of amiibo means that the more games implemented the feature, the more valuable they are to a player (I already had most of what I have because Mario Maker anyway).
Still, it's interesting to see that BotW worked so much better as a GaaS product than Odyssey which didn't really manage to retain players nearly as much (all things being equal, we're talking about top 0.1% of games so discussion about quality is down to preference).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
At the end of the day, it's a mix between lootbox, daily quest and collectable.
By all rights, it should be an abomination that makes the game predatory more than anything.
the unique nature of amiibo means that the more games implemented the feature, the more valuable they are to a player (I already had most of what I have because Mario Maker anyway).
Still, it's interesting to see that BotW worked so much better as a GaaS product than Odyssey which didn't really manage to retain players nearly as much (all things being equal, we're talking about top 0.1% of games so discussion about quality is down to preference).
That's most likely because the post launch support for Mario Odyssey was a lot less extensive than their other titles.
www.ign.com

Updates and DLC - Super Mario Odyssey Guide - IGN

Super Mario Odyssey occasionally receives software updates to improve the user experience, and an upcoming update includes free DLC. See how to update Super

Which is weird all things considered.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That's most likely because the post launch support for Mario Odyssey was a lot less extensive than their other titles.
www.ign.com

Updates and DLC - Super Mario Odyssey Guide - IGN

Super Mario Odyssey occasionally receives software updates to improve the user experience, and an upcoming update includes free DLC. See how to update Super

Which is weird all things considered.
They've been extremely conservative with 3D Mario for some reason.
2D Mario dabbled in DLC packs since NSMB2 in 2012 but they still kept all 3D Mario free of significant post launch support though.

It's not like Nintendo is against including platform specific gimmicks in 3D Mario, we had streetpass support in Mario 3D Land and Miiverse integration in 3D World after all.
Heck they included Toycon support for Odyssey!
And we do know that it's not like they had exhausted all possible ideas for Odyssey either.

At this point we can only speculate but it feels like they want to keep doing 3D Mario games like they always did.
It's a big enough property where that's possible but it feels like being a bit more bullish on conventions could make 3D Mario explode like BotW did for Zelda.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
They've been extremely conservative with 3D Mario for some reason.
2D Mario dabbled in DLC packs since NSMB2 in 2012 but they still kept all 3D Mario free of significant post launch support though.

It's not like Nintendo is against including platform specific gimmicks in 3D Mario, we had streetpass support in Mario 3D Land and Miiverse integration in 3D World after all.
Heck they included Toycon support for Odyssey!
And we do know that it's not like they had exhausted all possible ideas for Odyssey either.

At this point we can only speculate but it feels like they want to keep doing 3D Mario games like they always did.
It's a big enough property where that's possible but it feels like being a bit more bullish on conventions could make 3D Mario explode like BotW did for Zelda.
Even weirder because I assumed they were just going the odyssey 2 route instead of DLC but 5 years later…nothing

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Even weirder because I assumed they were just going the odyssey 2 route instead of DLC but 5 years later…nothing
I mean we had a pattern with the Galaxy games but nope.
They discovered they could give WiiU games a longer lease on shelves and added a significant mode to that project instead.
It's been a year so it's safe to assume that Odyssey is not getting anything more and they're working on the next step for 3D Mario.
Lord knows what they have in mind for 2D Mario because it's been a while since they stopped supporting Mario Maker 2

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
So putting aside some of the massive reaches of logic in the OP, from where the heck comes this notion that Platinum is begging to be acquired or otherwise desperate for it? I see that idea has become widespread on these boards and it honestly doesn't make any sense to me.

Like, sure, Inaba has said that he won't say no to an acquisition provided Platinum still retains enough freedom to do their thing. But if anything, most of their recent actions seem to indicate that they are desperately trying to remain independent and become a self-publishing company. Indeed, both their interest in GAAS and many of the misfires they have had in the past couple of years seem to be the result of that desire, they have just gone really badly at all that.

Anyway, I hope this new hire actually works for them. Honestly, it seems to me that what they need the most to reach their goals is someone with managerial and bussiness acumen, so hopefully Yamane will provide some of that.

I also really hope that Bayonetta 3 manages to be a hit, because the negativity some people here have regarding the studio is becoming really tiresome.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
It hurts that "the action game company" is a pigeonhole they feel they need to escape 🙍🏻‍♂️

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I would be down for a Mario game developed by Platinum tbh. I wanna see the middle aged Italian plumber styling all over King Koopa.

Only half joking.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
It hurts that "the action game company" is a pigeonhole they feel they need to escape 🙍🏻‍♂️
they probably feel that need because being the premiere action game company doesn't translate into sales while much less good action games sell and review much better by being more accessible and marketable

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
This would have upset me a few years ago if they got acquired by Nintendo but I think the last game they made I liked was transformers. Either way I wish the best for them

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
From a bottom line perspective I wouldn't doubt it, although it does look like Tropical Freeze on Switch only sold a couple million. It isn't crazy that between two Bayonetta's and Astral Chain it would be close. But I think Nintendo does see value in diversifying their releases regardless.

I agree. I guess I misunderstood. I thought with your first post you were implying Platinum wholly under Nintendo would be similar to what is going on at Retro.
It's sold 3.42 million and counting. The latest numbers are from the end of 2020 and it sold like 400k copies in the second half of that year. It's likely over 4 million now. Regardless, this was mostly a joke given Retro got brought up for some reason.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Well, honestly speaking, Platinum absolutely does need a management shake-up. I just don't feel like they've been in a particularly good place lately. Now, whether this hire or their supposed increased focus on live service is going to help them along a new AND better direction, we'll have to see.

Certainly I've liked their Nintendo-associated output the best in recent years, but this hire doesn't necessarily imply a closer partnership between the two companies.

That is, unless the licensing that is going to be managed is Nintendo licensing...

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Well, honestly speaking, Platinum absolutely does need a management shake-up. I just don't feel like they've been in a particularly good place lately. Now, whether this hire or their supposed increased focus on live service is going to help them along a new AND better direction, we'll have to see.

I don't think it's so much of management, they just need a stream of revenue. If they can get a deal that guarantees the funding for their next 3 projects, like Remedy did with Epic for example, I think they can deliver high quality games. But as of now, they're always running after a publisher for their next project, all while being very behind with technology of the industry.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's so much of management, they just need a stream of revenue. If they can get a deal that guarantees the funding for their next 3 projects, like Remedy did with Epic for example, I think they can deliver high quality games. But as of now, they're always running after a publisher for their next project, all while being very behind with technology of the industry.
now that you mention it, crazy how they missed out on the Epic funding train. maybe the next one

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a random veteran, it's a pretty higher up in the Nintendo structure in strategic positions. So it would be surprising for a profile like him to leave the company and at the same time, Inaba/Kamiya saying that a new era will start for the company.
This doesn't make a lick of sense
That's not how any of this works

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
That depends entirely on the developer and project. Like BOTW was a GAAS and the only thing it lacked was the classic costumes which were only accessible via mods on PC or by engaging with the pricy amiibos that give you one item a day. Otherwise as is the product without feeding into the monetization is still the largest Zelda game ever. Execution will always matter and not every game becomes a grindfest if you don't engage with the monetization. Pretty sure most people who work in that field realize that that would be a very bad idea.
gfycat.com

Cant Hold Back Photo: Cant Hold Laughter Back Sarcasticsadness2_zpsa2dd36f3.gif ... | Gfycat

Watch and share Cant Hold Back Photo: Cant Hold Laughter Back Sarcasticsadness2_zpsa2dd36f3.gif GIFs on Gfycat

I dunno how to post a gif lol. but if Nintendo thinks BotW is a GaaS then I don't think they understand the term. That's a bigger stretch then the one in the OP lol

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm one of the dozens who believes you OP!
In isolation it's quite a leap. With everything building up to it, I'd give it above a 50% chance.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
gfycat.com

Cant Hold Back Photo: Cant Hold Laughter Back Sarcasticsadness2_zpsa2dd36f3.gif ... | Gfycat

Watch and share Cant Hold Back Photo: Cant Hold Laughter Back Sarcasticsadness2_zpsa2dd36f3.gif GIFs on Gfycat

I dunno how to post a gif lol. but if Nintendo thinks BotW is a GaaS then I don't think they understand the term. That's a bigger stretch then the one in the OP lol
No actually he's right.
From a pure production PoV, BotW is pretty much a GaaS when it was released.
It's not that different from how they handled Spatoon games albeit with a different frequency on updates.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
gfycat.com

AFAIK Nintendo never called it that. That's the interpretation of this news site. Nintendo is interested in releasing more DLC, that's not GAAS.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
gfycat.com

The poster you're responding to has tried in the past to redefine GaaS to mean literally any game that has had any kind of updates as some kind of weird way to destigmatize the term; this included arguing with people for several pages that Elden Ring having balance and bug fix patches made it a GaaS.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
yamane's a pretty good get. i heard he'd gone to a different company though, so this is a surprise.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum has been disappointing for a long time imo.

Sad to see them continue the trend.

What? They're continuing the trend of being disappointing by hiring a new exec?

Weird how the rhetoric on platinum games has totally shifted since their best work landed exclusively on Nintendo systems (even though their output is overall no better or worse than it ever was)

Capra

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Platinum has been disappointing for a long time." = "I didn't like Astral Chain and Babylon's Fall was bad so Platinum is bad."

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno how to post a gif lol. but if Nintendo thinks BotW is a GaaS then I don't think they understand the term.
I think they're very intimately familiar with the term considering they've had several ones going at the same time for years. GAAS isn't solely reserved to loot boxes and battlepasses or even multiplayer.

It generally means a slew of plans to make more revenue from a title post launch. And Nintendo got very good at doing that without you know, catching any sort of controversy at least to my knowledge.

The poster you're responding to has tried in the past to redefine GaaS to mean literally any game that has had any kind of updates as some kind of weird way to destigmatize the term
The term doesn't need to be destigmatized in the first place. Developers have genuinely already normalized it just like when they normalized dlc during the ps3/360 console generation despite the initial backlash of horse armor.

Eventually people stop getting angry at the idea of it because turns out the vast majority of devs aren't willing to compromise every aspect of their game for the sake of post launch revenue controversial titles not withstanding the vast amount of successful attempts across various genres.

We're so long past the days of fire and forget releases being the norm in the AAA market that I can't believe this is even considered debatable even with multiple devs on this very forum co-signing what I've said.

And remember this thread is literally about a developer whose talking about investing in that because their own traditional business model and way of handling game releases isn't sustainable for the future. This is the current state of the industry because turns out it worked out for a ton of major studio. If platinum announced an expansion pass featuring a timeline of content updates that you have to pay for. People probably wouldn't be mad. And of Babylon's Fall was actually good they'd be examining what made it work and how to apply that to other games.

Last edited: