Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

www.videogameschronicle.com

Sources: Capcom has overhauled its plans for a Resident Evil 4 remake | VGC

Capcom Division 1 brought in as newcomer M-Two sees role reduced…
New studio M-Two has seen its role significantly reduced on the unannounced project, the sources told VGC, and mainline Resident Evil studio Capcom Division 1 has been brought in to lead a new direction.

As first reported by VGC last year, the Resident Evil 4 remake has been in development since 2018 led by Osaka-based M-Two, the studio founded by former PlatinumGames head Tatsuya Minami.

Little has been shared publicly about M-Two, but people with knowledge of the company said it was partly funded by Capcom and comprised of some former PlatinumGames employees, including developers from the Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta 2 teams.
Our original report on M-Two and Minami's involvement, published in Dec 2019, was later confirmed by the credits of Resident Evil 3.

The company partly contributed to the development of 2020's RE3 remake, with Minami taking on an executive producer role, but the start-up's main purpose was always to lead the next remake, Resident Evil 4.

However, multiple sources have indicated that, following a key project review late last year, it was decided that M-Two's role on RE4's remake would be significantly reduced. Capcom's Division 1 – the internal team responsible for Resident Evil and Devil May Cry games – has now been brought in to lead the RE4 project, VGC understands.
Sources said that the Resident Evil 4 Remake would now be partially rebooted under the new mandate, which could see its release delayed by as much as a year to 2023.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 Remake is potentially both my most anticipated, and most hesitant game currently announced. I would be happy if they kept 100% of it the same, just make it look like RE2/RE3 does.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that Capcom didn't like M-Two sticking so close to the original. Though, I am more interested in Capcom taking liberties with this remake than most people are, so I guess I'm okay with this.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Good and bad

Good because the RE4 Remake will get the time and attention it deserves and M2 won't disappoint like they did with RE3

Bad because that takes people away from other Capcom projects

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Division 1 is great but it looks like Capcom wants to make more changes to the game and not just a 1:1 remake.
Wasn't division 1 working on Dragons Dogma? Hopefully this doesn't mean that the game is getting delayed

Oct 27, 2017
"the former pushed for more changes while the latter prefers a more 1:1 remake because of the backlash to RE3 remake "

A very close RE4 might have been better. What is Capcom planning?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
However, multiple sources have indicated that, following a key project review late last year, it was decided that M-Two's role on RE4's remake would be significantly reduced. Capcom's Division 1 – the internal team responsible for Resident Evil and Devil May Cry games – has now been brought in to lead the RE4 project, VGC understands.

It's believed that the disagreements that led to M-Two's reduced role involved the studio's desire to stick faithfully to the template of the original Resident Evil 4, partly influenced by backlash to Resident Evil 3's remake, which did not include significant portions of the original PlayStation game, much to fans' disappointment.

Capcom's production team, however, is said to prefer a direction which would see RE4's remake inspired by the original, but with its own unique take on features, story elements and environments not necessarily confined to the blueprint of the original, similar to Resident Evil 2's use of Mr. X.

Sources said that the Resident Evil 4 Remake would now be partially rebooted under the new mandate, which could see its release delayed by as much as a year to 2023.

This is the important part of the article. M-Two wanting to stick faithfully to RE4 and Capcom asking for more changes, leading to M-Two's role being reduced.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
More Changes are good if they want to justify this Remake. Matching the Original will be almost impossible, so it's better to take a different route

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I mean in the end Capcom still decided to release like it is and lol if they didn't notice until very late in development..

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

This follow-up is what interests me the most.

Well, at least the burden will be off the latter if we somehow get more cuts and yet another NESTS UNDERGROUND LAB replacing a beloved section of the original.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oof. if there's one game that would probably do well from being 1:1, it's RE4. but at the same time, why bother doing a remake if you won't make changes? RE4 is readily playable on every system

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Capcom asking for more changes is great news, too bad about M-Two since REmake 3 was great. Change it up drastically, I wanna see how different they can get. If you want it to be 1:1 with the original you always have the many, many releases of RE4.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
"the former pushed for more changes while the latter prefers a more 1:1 remake because of the backlash to RE3 remake "

A very close RE4 might have been better. What is Capcom planning?

A very close RE4 with today's production value is going to be perfect and incredibly expensive to make. They are going to cut corners.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's production team, however, is said to prefer a direction which would see RE4's remake inspired by the original, but with its own unique take on features, story elements and environments not necessarily confined to the blueprint of the original, similar to Resident Evil 2's use of Mr. X.

Oh boy.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
qv6Gwhy.png

AuthenticM's role in the development of this thread has been "significantly reduced"; mazi has taken over the project.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the team that made a bad remake got removed from their next remake for wanting it to be a more faithful remake.

Well this bodes well...

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
For a moment I thought M-Two and M2 were one and the same and I was feeling very confused and let down.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so M2 was course correcting because of the RE3Make backlash and Capcom was like nah

well that's worrying

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
I mean... good? people liked RE3make, but it cannot be argued that its viewed more favorably then re2make. personally I was disappointed.

I still harbor many reservations about them remaking 4 however.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good, RE3 was a trainwreck and they need to make sure RE4 lands the right way.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Lol there are literally four threads about this (this is the first). I love visualizing the horse race for people to be first to post something

Oct 27, 2017
Since it seems like we are getting a very different remake I wonder if it will be a horror game now.

I have a feeling OG RE4 will still be king.
A very close RE4 with today's production value is going to be perfect and incredibly expensive to make. They are going to cut corners.
That is true but I hope they don't just make it like classic RE games but with a tyrant like figure stalking you.

If they want to do changes I hope they do stuff that makes it unique because I doubt it will feel like RE4 with this move anyway.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Like I said in one of the other thread
GREAT NEWS
I prefer remakes to be a bit different from the original, instead of 1/1.
If I wanted to play the original RE2, RE3 or RE4, I would play the original.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Cut the Island completely but keep the Regenerators (and Krauser i guess).

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh 2023.

I guess there won't be any RE games next year. Unless they release RE revelations 3 next year.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil 4 Remake that ends the moment you save Ashley from the church. Gotta milk it for all it's worth.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a good way for me to lose faith in the remake. Why change perfection? Not like they'd' be able to make something better than the original so they should just stick to it being mostly a graphical update. They'll butcher the dialogue and Leon I bet, he better be just as snarky as he was in the original.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This is more alarming than comforting. I don't trust Division 1's direction after RE3 Remake and choices made with Village's story (not specifying because of spoilers).