DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
Which fanbase is more rabid, Vtuber or Pokemon 🤔. At least for Hololive, I think their Japan fanbase alone is too strong for Nintendo/TPC to blacklist them.

Roboraptor

Jul 6, 2023
Germany 🇩🇪
Maybe fragile wasn't the right word - and I get why talent agencies would want to mitigate risk for their talent. It's the broader perception in Japan that Pokemon is going to be so widely affected by this game. It's a massive franchise that's weathered ~30 years of games. It's just bizarre to me how the perception is that it needs to be protected.

It's not the brand that is being protected here, it's possible future business relations that are being protected.
I really doubt that those agencies are concerned about Pokemons integrity.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Standing up against corporate tyranny by *checks notes* throwing your weight behind a company known for plagiarising and aping the work of artists (including fan artists) or other game studios.

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
02d5a653978731cdef945f110edb26cc.jpg
Lmfao

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Maybe fragile wasn't the right word - and I get why talent agencies would want to mitigate risk for their talent. It's the broader perception in Japan that Pokemon is going to be so widely affected by this game. It's a massive franchise that's weathered ~30 years of games. It's just bizarre to me how the perception is that it needs to be protected.
They're not trying to protect the brand, they just don't wanna get on anyone's bad side is all.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
man people really just be saying things to hear themselves speak
only thing that explains some of these hare-brained takes and the confidence with which they're delivered. like is it that hard to just read the article? or the rest of the thread, even?
Face it, Pokémon is losing the narrative battle, badly.
Like, what does this even mean lmao

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Very easy to see who has a bone to pick with TPC/Nintendo/Pokemon in this thread lol

"TPC is scared" like they're afraid Pokemon isn't gonna keep selling 20+ million with every new main entry. Such bad trolling.
It really does, even on twitter is easy to see

The more I see it the more I want for a lawsuit to happen

Last edited:

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Standing up against corporate tyranny by *checks notes* throwing your weight behind a company known for plagiarising and aping the work of artists (including fan artists) or other game studios.
Palworld has broken the Any% speedrun record for growing one of the most insufferable fanbases of all time, from defending blatant and flagrant plagiarism to just, well, not being able to read I guess going by this thread.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I mean, is this any different than Nike athletes being told not to mention Adidas?

Or athletes wanting to do work with Nike being told the same thing?

That comparison only works if those agencies only played exclusively Pokemon. But a streamer that plays hundreds of games should not be blacklisted just because they play another product. That is a can of worms that anyone would want to open.

TPC should make a statement that this is silly, that they won't blacklist anyone just because they play another game, regardless of their stance to other companies.
TPC can only lose in this situation if they let this stand, people already are talking about how Palworld is the better creature-catching game, if the public also sees companies trying to bury the success of Palworld behind the scenes, it will only strengthen the argument.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
A shame for those who are enjoying the game but can't talk about or stream it, but giving how the poke company is known to behave I guess they are going by better safe than sorry.
Imagine being so petty that you are still punishing people for streaming your game 4 years later!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Pokémon mafia strikes again.

If there's no legal issues with Pokémon v Palworld then this is just straight up dumb. it's just a video game featuring battling animals.

"If", lol.

"If" there isn't any legal issues with what pal world has obviously done as perhaps the most blatant plagiarism in entertainment media is a LONG time, the entire videogame industry will become the Wildwest in short order because that would mean everyone has carte blanche to straight rip other successfully models, make the most minor of changes, if that, and ship it as a new product.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Palworld has broken the Any% speedrun record for growing one of the most insufferable fanbases of all time, from defending blatant and flagrant plagiarism to just, well, not being able to read I guess going by this thread.
Yep. Palworld even plagiarised the toxicity of the Pokémon fanbase. Can they be stopped??

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Any legalities aside, I genuinely think we're experiencing something that is going to have legs for years to come if Pocketpair gets their resources together to franchise Palworld. It's massive right now

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
only thing that explains some of these hare-brained takes and the confidence with which they're delivered. like is it that hard to just read the article? or the rest of the thread, even?

like, what does this even mean, lmao?

It means Pokémon is being perceived as the company getting it's just desserts for their poor products against the poor underdog that did better than them. When in reality a shitty low quality ripoff like Palworld would normally be laughed at the same way we laughed at Unearthed.

The narrative will now be "TPC is big mad so streamers have been told not to talk about Palworld to avoid getting on their blacklists"

That's just going to Streisand the above narrative.

That's the point I've been trying to make. This only makes Pokémon look "scared" in the eyes of the dumb internet masses, which in turn feeds Palworld's popularity.

Last edited:

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
It almost certainly isn't a lack of permissions, since Pocketpair have essentially given out blanket permissions to everyone:

www.pocketpair.jp

Pocketpair, Inc.

That doesn't matter. Plenty of other companies have similar disclaimers but the Japanese corporate streamers still require permissions to stream their games. That's just how streaming is handled in Japan. Sure smaller streamers don't necessarily need to get permissions (some still do out of courtesy), but once it's a big company like any of the Vtuber agencies, it becomes a necessity to avoid any possibility of legal backlash from occurring.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Also please mind the distinction between Nintendo and TPC here as Nintendo is actually much more reasonable to work with in regards to this stuff.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Palworld even plagiarised the toxicity of the Pokémon fanbase. Can they be stopped??
The true test will be whenever Palworld has its #Dexit moment or some other equivalent of it—assuming they aren't sued into the ground for copyright infringement first.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't matter. Plenty of other companies have similar disclaimers but the Japanese corporate streamers still require permissions to stream their games. That's just how streaming is handled in Japan. Sure smaller streamers don't necessarily need to get permissions (some still do out of courtesy), but once it's a big company like any of the Vtuber agencies, it becomes a necessity to avoid any possibility of legal backlash from occurring.

Given that Pocketpair is a Japanese company and presumably is aware of usual practice in this area, I honestly don't think there would be any issue if Nijisanji specifically approached Pocketpair to stream the game. My point is that the company stance appears to be extremely streamer-friendly, even if you make money off it, and that it's very unlikely that Pocketpair is the reason why Nijisanji isn't streaming the game.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The Pokemon Company likely doesn't care, but makes sense casting agencies are scared, you generally don't want to get involved in plagiaristic stuff.

May 29, 2023

Like, what does this even mean lmao
Face it BUCKO! The Pokémon ""narrative"" is OVER! Palworld is simultaneously way too different for there to be any problem with TPCI while at the same time being similar enough that TPCI needs to start BEING SCARED!

2uu9g1.jpg

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
At least TPCi can no longer ignore the massive success of Palworld or act like it doesn't exist.
Next Pokémon game will be harshly criticized, imagine if it's B/W remake but "faithful" like Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl, oof.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
At least TPCi can no longer ignore the massive success of Palworld or act like it doesn't exist.
Next Pokémon game will be harshly criticized, imagine if it's B/W remake but "faithful" like Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl, oof.

Supposedly they're already taking measures after the poor WOM SV got despite it's massive sales.

But the interesting thing is that yes, the regular joes are now talking about stuff like graphics and performance so whatever measures they implement will be welcomed.

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
Given that Pocketpair is a Japanese company and presumably is aware of usual practice in this area, I honestly don't think there would be any issue if Nijisanji specifically approached Pocketpair to stream the game. My point is that the company stance appears to be extremely streamer-friendly, even if you make money off it, and that it's very unlikely that Pocketpair is the reason why Nijisanji isn't streaming the game.
Sure. I just mean that there being blanket perms doesn't really matter in terms of the world of Japanese streaming. The agencies will still seek out permissions from companies and that disclaimer existing doesn't really say anything one way or the other here.

But we don't really need to speculate on that matter since we have the given reasoning already, and it has nothing to do with gaining permissions.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That comparison only works if those agencies only played exclusively Pokemon. But a streamer that plays hundreds of games should not be blacklisted just because they play another product. That is a can of worms that anyone would want to open.

TPC should make a statement that this is silly, that they won't blacklist anyone just because they play another game, regardless of their stance to other companies.
TPC can only lose in this situation if they let this stand, people already are talking about how Palworld is the better creature-catching game, if the public also sees companies trying to bury the success of Palworld behind the scenes, it will only strengthen the argument.
Huh? Only a small fringe of people would take TPCs silence on a media company not playing Palworld of their own choice as something to get upset over. News like this wont ever cross into the mainstream, unlike a proper statement from the TPC talking about how its fine to play Palworld. Imagine the headlines.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Huh? Only a small fringe of people would take TPCs silence on a media company not playing Palworld of their own choice as something to get upset over. News like this wont ever cross into the mainstream, unlike a proper statement from the TPC talking about how its fine to play Palworld. Imagine the headlines.
We already have 20 million owners of Palworld
Influencers stream to hundreds of thousands of people every day.
The "Message" will be heard far and wide by the people who matter the most: the audience/players.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

A public statement would be dumb yeah, but why not privately reach out to TPC if there's any doubts?

Like I said before, either TPC IS acting on it and there's a legitimate fear from streamer or the ban was decided by actual idiots.

We already have 20 million owners of Palworld
Influencers stream to hundreds of thousands of people every day.
The "Message" will be heard far and wide by the people who matter the most: the audience/players.

Yup.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal world, the Pokemon company would be completely phased out and all the rights and control over the Pokemon IP goes to nintendo

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, seems that way. I doubt TPC truly cares. I don't get why people are acting like Palworld is the first Pokemon "clone", as if there weren't tons of them in the late 90s/early 2000s. But you never know, they might, which is the fear
You know, I feel like it kind of underlines how important ripping off Pokemon's designs is to Palworld's breakout success that people are pretending that this was something that all the other monster catching games that they've been ignoring over the years have been doing.

Moltz20

Sep 12, 2023
I find fascinating how these news stealth confirm even people in Japan 100% expect TPC will retaliate hard against Palworld and its supporters later down the line. You do not play safe in these situations just because

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
damn I thought palworld was kinda iffy but if the TPC like this then fuck them more power to palworld