catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo 7 now has Sony's lowest user score ever on Metacritic

Quote:
At the time of publishing, the PS4 and PS5 racer has a user score of 2.5/10, which appears to put it below every game in Metacritic's 27-years of tracked games from PlayStation Studios, Sony Interactive Entertainment, SCEA, SCEE and SCEJ.

GT7 claims its unwanted record from PS4's World of Warriors (2.9), PSP's NBA 10 The Inside (3.0) and Cool Boarders 2001 on PSOne (3.3). However, while those titles only have a handful of user reviews, Gran Turismo 7 currently has over 3,600.

Edit: updated scored down to 2.3 as of Mar 20th midnight New York time

Last edited:

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Well fucking deserved. Such a stupid use of online DRM just to protect us from the 0.0001% who mod their saves.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting review bombed for the right reasons.

I love the game, I really do, but the change to the payouts for events, after the reviews, is some really underhanded stuff.

If they want always online, they need to justify it, and there's nothing in the game that justifies an "always online" model.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Well fucking deserved. Such a stupid use of online DRM just to protect us from the 0.0001% who mod their saves.
There might be some workarounds but from my understanding, people with hacked PS4s can't even connect to PSN so it's not like they can play online with modded saves. I really don't understand the decision.

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I though meta deletes outlier scores? But in this case it's sticking, presumably because, well, the article describes exactly why…truth hurts!

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I understand the complaints about MTX but it's really not a bad game. Coordinated review bombing to "send a message" isn't really a good thing imo.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This game is $70 yet it has the grind typically seen in F2P games. You basically have to spend money to make any progress.

The entire economy of this game needs to be overhauled.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I understand the complaints about MTX but it's really not a bad game. Coordinated review bombing to "send a message" isn't really a good thing imo.
Review bombing isn't as bad as waiting till reviews are out to reveal MTX prices, cutting payouts to incentivize MTX purchasing and making the game online only when it doesn't have to be. Oh and all of that in a $70 game.

So are we gonna treat user scores like they matter now?
I saw a bunch of memes looking at Battlefield 2042, GTA Trilogy and Call of Duty Vanguard user scores. It's not a new thing.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't the game getting review bombed after it was pulled from Russia?

I don't know the specifics, but I saw someone mention that after the launch.

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I'd generally agree, but Polyphony Digital's social media is..... bad, there's no way to make a direct complaint or concern via social media.

Exactly this. I phoned the CS line to inquire about a refund given the change to monetization AFTER purchase, explained the situation carefully, and the rep was hearing none of it, denied immediately.

So how else do we register feedback if not for social media and HOPE that media outlets (Who rely on ads) to get this out there

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what do you purpose then? Nicely ask Sony to change their shitty practice or complain on forums?
Sony cares about Metacritic, this is the best way for them to take action.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, professional outlets should go back and re-review with the monetization changes in place too.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully Sony backtracks on the payout cuts and online-only.

Yeah I have been wondering; but it seems like the defense for those changes in the recent patch is dwindling in comparison to the people upset by them (and for good reason). I expect they are hopefully gonna backtrack on this stuff.

The way it came after the people bought the game and after the reviews set in is just next level. This shit is just getting worse and worse.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
So are we gonna treat user scores like they matter now?
User scores are useless and don't matter when trying to gain a meaningful aggregate.

Review bombs are a reason why you can't take the number seriously at all.

This is not the same thing as the number being meaningless. If the number is very high or low it probably indicates something. It's just impossible to take meaning from the number alone.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Good. They let greed come before design and it hurt the game and consumers. I will always have a soft spot for Gran Turismo, but I can't support the series if this is the route they're going.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the game but I can totally understand people's frustration's with this one. Great game marred by some really dumb and unnecessary things.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I though meta deletes outlier scores? But in this case it's sticking, presumably because, well, the article describes exactly why…truth hurts!

When you have microtransactions it feels like EVERYONE gets together on the downvotes. This phenomenon can also be observed with the FIFA and NBA games.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Wasn't the game getting review bombed after it was pulled from Russia?

I don't know the specifics, but I saw someone mention that after the launch.
Game had a 6.6 on March 9th. Which was like a week after Sony didn't release the game in Russia.
Game had a 6.3 on the morning of March 17th. Which was the morning of the patch and the beginning of the shut down for 30 hours.
Game had a 4.8 on March 18th.

It surely got review bombed a bit because of Russia news, but the reason it's as low as it is, is because of MTX, always-online, and being shut down for 30 hours, not Russia.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't the reason I'd rate GT7 low if I owned it: I'd do it because of the prevalent and insidious ways it tries to get users to buy credits with real money; But I'll take it.

The DRM is pretty damn dumb and I'd be upset if the game stopped working some time in the future because of it but I have greater faith that that would be patched out than I have faith in them walking back the aggressive monetization.

What a shame though... a Gran Turismo release used to be such a special moment for racing game lovers and some people seemed to be genuinely loving this latest entry but what a shame that they turned all of that good will to dust because of greed.

Edit: I'm confused, I thought the review bombs were because of the servers being offline, making the game unplayable but if people are also giving it low scores because of the MTX I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A unanimous cry of complaint against shitty corporate practices is precisely an appropriate action. Choosing to purchase a product or not, and loudly voicing your review of it - those are the only two means to effect change in business.

It's asinine and ridiculous, especially when groups of shit heels use that tactic to protest some kind of advancement of a marginalized group. Unfortunately, when companies only care about income, there's little to nothing else to get their attention. How a company responds to complaints of nickel and diming would ideally be different than to groups of incels or racists protesting inclusion.

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
When you have microtransactions it feels like EVERYONE gets together on the downvotes. This phenomenon can also be observed with the FIFA and NBA games.

I agree but it's the sheer quantity of reviews that GT7 is getting that makes it stand out.

NBA2K22 on PS5: score of 3.7 with 133 ratings

Compared to

GT7 on PS5: score of 2.4 with 4001 ratings

Heck even FF14 Endwalker which is a blockbuster MMO has only 1370 ratings (9.4 score)

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Hopefully this sends a message to PD and other developers that think this was a good idea

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have been wondering; but it seems like the defense for those changes in the recent patch is dwindling in comparison to the people upset by them (and for good reason). I expect they are hopefully gonna backtrack on this stuff.

The way it came after the people bought the game and after the reviews set in is just next level. This shit is just getting worse and worse.

I thought I did everything right, waited until after release and after reviews before buying it. Here was my post from March 5

Totally agree. Went in completely cynical thinking this was gonna be riddled with micro transactions and grinding. Aside from the ridiculous gold requirements for the license tests, which feel like a push for people to go buy a racing wheel lol, everything else is near perfect. Even the weird soundtrack is endearing. Loving it all around.

Yeah…that post did NOT age well 😢

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It's so crazy how much small changes can completely undermine an otherwise solid game. Such a shame to see Polyphony go down this route of incompetence and hope they alter course soon. I want to jump back in. :(

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Good, keep 'em coming. Review bombing is the best way consumers have to show their discontent when companies get greedy and do stupid shit

EPLirish

Jan 20, 2022

I second this, but I think it's going to hurt future sales if people were looking for a review to convince them whether they should buy the game or not. Devs don't want that.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is unfortunate. The major shortcomings of the game aren't in how it plays or drives but anything and everything outside of that.

Oct 25, 2017
Review bombing isn't as bad as waiting till reviews are out to reveal MTX prices, cutting payouts to incentivize MTX purchasing and making the game online only when it doesn't have to be. Oh and all of that in a $70 game.

The game was reviewed without the ability to purchase mtx. Kind of shows they aren't needed to play and enjoy the game no? Unless I'm missing something and reviewers were given a lot more currency?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the game yet, need a PS5 first or maybe waiting for the PC port, but sounds like they are getting the score they deserve. If they are nerfing payouts than fuck em. I have never been a fan of always online DRM requirements for single player content, so fuck em on that too.

Lucky for me I guess since I couldn't get a PS5 in time for launch I get to wait and see if they fix it or if this will be the first GT I have ever skipped.

I guess I need to check out some reviews, because besides this stuff I don't even know how the single player content is. One comment made it sound like it has been scaled back from previous titles and that makes me worried.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Are ppl complaining bc of mtx? I mean there are a ton of games with mtx and racing games too. Or is the complaint mainly towards low payouts? If it's low payouts/economy then ok but if it's mtx then the complainants aren't justified imo.

I have the game btw. Haven't spent a dime and enjoying it.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
And it deserves it.

Online requirement for single player is moronic.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
zelda-good.gif

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
The MTX is part of the game. It's perfectly valid to slam a game with MTX for having bad MTX, being pay to win, or being patched to make the game more grindy to try to pull more money out of people who have already paid full price.