IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

Netflix has pulled the plug on several animated projects, including "Wings of Fire," from executive producer Ava DuVernay; "Antiracist Baby," a series aimed at preschoolers; and "With Kind Regards From Kindergarten," a film tailored to youngsters.

The streaming service also scrapped "Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, And You," a documentary intended to serve as a companion piece to "Stamped From the Beginning." "Stamped from the Beginning," which is a hybrid documentary and scripted feature that delves into race in the United States, is still moving forward and is currently in post-production.

Sources at Netflix stress the decisions not to move forward with these projects were creative rather than cost related, meaning they would have taken place regardless of the company's slower revenue growth. Insiders also note that animation has a longer gestation period than live-action. Given the comparatively drawn-out timeline, it's less unusual for movies or television shows to go back into development or part ways entirely over creative decisions.

That may be the case, but the news comes as Netflix has laid off about 150 staffers (roughly 2% of its workforce), in an attempt to cut costs after a weak start to 2022. In the first quarter of this year, the company reported a net loss of 200,000 streaming customers, its first decline in a decade. Shortly after announcing a dip in subscribers last month, Netflix pink slipped approximately 25 employees in its marketing group, several of whom worked on the Tudum fan-focused content team.

Netflix announced in April 2021 that "Wings of Fire," based on Tui T. Sutherland's children's books, would be adapted into an animated 10-episode series. DuVernay was set to executive produce the show, a fantasy series about dragon tribes at war in a generations-long battle over a lost treasure.

Netflix is still investing heavily in animation, with "Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous," "Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight," "My Dad the Bounty Hunter" and "Gabby's Dollhouse" among the film and television shows in the works. The studio recently released "The Mitchells vs. the Machines" and plans to unveil director Guillermo del Toro's stop-motion animation version of "Pinocchio" later this year.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry. They're still doing 3D animated mediocrity like Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Barely been a month since they announced the culling of their internal animation department and related animated projects.

The hits just won't stop coming with this company.

Sources at Netflix stress the decisions not to move forward with these projects were creative rather than cost related, meaning they would have taken place regardless of the company's slower revenue growth. Insiders also note that animation has a longer gestation period than live-action. Given the comparatively drawn-out timeline, it's less unusual for movies or television shows to go back into development or part ways entirely over creative decisions.

That "we want more stuff like Boss Baby" quote is gonna age gracefully with every in-development animated project Netflix is going to shitcan in the immediate future. It's also going to be a matter of time before the mature/"anime" half of their animation pipeline starts being micromanaged too. Probably gonna make a declaration that any future adult animation on the platform should be Family Guy clones (so more stuff like Brickeberry and Paradise P.D.) or bust.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
dang I didn't know they were making a Wings of Fire animated show. My step daughters love the book series.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
What are these other canceled Ava DuVernay projects some of you guys are talking about? Never heard of her.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Wonder if the upcoming Scott Pilgrim animated adaptation is still coming or has it been quietly cancelled after the subscriber loss fiasco.

JCmasta

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Man, I feel for Ava. New Gods, Naomi, and now this. I think she pulled a project on spotify because of the whole Joe Rogan debacle as well. Just a really bad stretch overall.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
There are a LOT of cancelled shows that haven't even been mentioned yet too, some from very big/known creators even. I hope some of them are able to migrate to other platforms but it's been so so bad in animation lately y'all ):

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Not gonna lie, I'm worried about Castlevania potentially getting the whip (axe) now…

Don't be. The show is outsourced, so that is one expense off their back.
*EDIT* as Khanimus pointed out, being external means shit-all to Netflix--I still wouldn't worry about the show though.

Also the team director tweeted this out earlier last month:

Plus word on the street is we may be getting a first look sometime next month--during Netflix's "geeked week" thingy.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I'm so glad Dragon Prince got renewed when it did because that series would never be allowed a complete run even a year later, probably. Jesus.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Don't be. The show is outsourced, so that is one expense off their back. Also the team director tweeted this out earlier last month:

Plus word on the street is we may be getting a first look sometime next month--during Netflix's "geeked week" thingy.

This was an external project as well.

The thing with Castlevania is that it's a big hit for them.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be. The show is outsourced, so that is one expense off their back. Also the team director tweeted this out earlier last month:

I'm not liking this extreme wait to see what survives and what didn't survive. Netflix's promotion strategies are so fucking baaaaad.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Using Mitchels vs the Machines and Pinocchio as counter points is kinda bullshit, since I'm pretty sure the former they bought when it was essentially done and the latter is way too far along to cancel.

There are a LOT of cancelled shows that haven't even been mentioned yet too, some from very big/known creators even. I hope some of them are able to migrate to other platforms but it's been so so bad in animation lately y'all ):

Oh god, that reminds me, wasn't Alex Hirsh's post Gravity Falls project supposed to be on Netflix?

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
At this rate, I won't be surprised if they just disband their internal animation studio altogether before the end of the year