Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Harrison Ford’s ‘Call of the Wild’ to Lose $50 Million at Box Office

Harrison Ford's "The Call of the Wild" is another box office dud from Fox.
Harrison Ford's canine adventure "The Call of the Wild" is shaping up to be the latest box office dud for the Disney-owned 20th Century.

The film, based on Jack London's best-selling novel, has made $45 million in the U.S. and $79 million globally after two weeks in theaters. That wouldn't be a bad result, had "The Call of the Wild" cost a moderate amount to make and market. However, it carries a price tag above $125 million, meaning the film needs to make between $250 million and $275 million to break even, according to sources close to the production and rival studio executives. Given the unlikeliness that it'll reach those ticket sales, "The Call of the Wild" is expected to lose around $50 million. TSG co-financed the film, which will help mitigate damages for Disney.

"The Call of the Wild" received mixed reviews from critics, though audiences seemed to like it more and gave it an "A-" CinemaScore. The film debuted to $24.8 million last weekend, ahead of expectations. Box office analysts believe it benefitted as Ford's first major on-screen film role in years. "The Call of the Wild" declined 46% in its sophomore outing and brought in $13.3 million in North America, an average result for a family film. Internationally, "The Call of the Wild" has made $33 million from 50 foreign markets, representing 91% of its overseas footprint. However, Coronavirus has closed theaters in China, Italy and Korea, which could hinder ticket sales abroad.
CGI my dog if old.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Greenlight a movie with adorable doggo.
Remove doggo.
Pay Harrison Ford his quote.
Profit! You made a movie!

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I swear Call of the Wild holds the world record for longest streak of bad adaptations.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
If they had used a real dog they could have used the CG budget to animate Ford, so he looks like he gives a fuck

Nov 5, 2017
No matter how you spell 20th Century Fox Studios, it will keep losing $$$. 20th Century just can't catch a break!

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was turned off the moment I saw the dog. Looks terrible and moves like a cartoon.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Bad CGI, and Ford has been such a crotchety, dispassionate fuck of an actor for so long that he no longer has leading man draw.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Because people only want to see comic book movies & disney sequels/remakes now, how ironic disney is feeling this more than anyone now.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
In a world where Disney literally put Togo out this past holiday with Dafoe's performance playing off of a REAL dog (and it's an excellent film btw), this film's existence is utterly baffling

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If only they released without the cg dog...

gYpOQaO.gif

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Because people only want to see comic book movies & disney sequels/remakes now, how ironic disney is feeling this more than anyone now.
Alternatively, they've made FAR too many man/boy and his dog adventure movies recently. Every time I see another one I wonder how they could possibly make it any different than the last five. Intro - bonding scene - life or death struggle - dog mini adventure - bear/large animal boss fight - dog saves human - fin.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
With all respect to Harrison Ford, if it doesn't involve Star Wars or Indiana Jones he's just not a draw these days.

To spend $125m+ on a family movie about a dog without a current A-list star (in terms of box office draw) is ridiculously risky. It's a mid-tier film that might have done ok at $60-70m but at $125m, excluding marketing, it was always highly unlikely to be a financial success.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't they just use a real dog? Why??

Considering some of the events that happen with Buck in the film. I think people might have gotten upset if that happened with a real dog.

At the end, film was overbudgeted really. Alright reviews and a decent box office showing if this had a smaller budget, problem was it didn't have a smaller budget. You don't give $150 Million to Call of the Wild in this day and age.

Shame because this was Chris Sanders live action debut (Lilo and Stitch, How to Train Your Dragon). Hopefully he's not held in Hollywood Jail like Brad Bird was after Tomorrowland. He left Disney after American Dog changed to Bolt, now he got wrangled back into Disney due to the Fox Buyout.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It screams laziness to not use a real dog. Sure it's hard to film, but there have been 100's of movies filmed with dogs as leads and they are always fine.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
NGL I confused it with an adaptation of the book about that dumbass kid that died in Alaska.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
If you look at the younger groups' point of view, they probably don't want to see a movie about an old man talking to a fake dog.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Didn't know dog movie audience had standards and avoided this one. Usually they and Christian movie audience flock in droves to see these despite bad reviews.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
CGI dog made it an absolute no go for me. Togo is so damned good by comparison. Real dogs > fake dogs erryday

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
At least they made a movie that will probably be seen by HS English students for the next decade or more.