kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
variety.com

Comedy Central Won’t Choose ‘Daily Show’ Host After Year-Long Search

Comedy Central won't name a new host of its signature 'Daily Show' despite a year-long search, and will rely on its team of correspondents

After holding a year-long bake-off among various celebrities to find the next host of its signature "The Daily Show," Comedy Central is going to try a new recipe.

When the program returns from a hiatus, it is expected to rely heavily on a team of correspondents to lead each night, according to three people familiar with the matter, though it is not clear if the network has struck upon its final assemblage of talent. "Daily Show" could also rely on guest appearances by some of the celebrities who have hosted the program since Trevor Noah, the last permanent presence behind the desk, quit abruptly in late 2022.

Those looking for an immediate successor for Noah won't find one — at least, not yet.

Comedy Central is expected to unveil its plans for "Daily Show" next week. The network did not respond immediately to a query seeking comment about the role of the correspondents in future broadcasts.

To be sure, the decision is likely to save money — a concern that all the networks involved in late-night programming have expressed. In recent years, Warner Bros. Discovery has exited the wee-hours arena, cutting programs led by Conan O'Brien and Samantha Bee. And NBC has gotten out of the business of putting up a late-night show on at 1:30 a.m., an hour it filled for years with Carson Daly and Bob Costas. CBS recently replaced its "The Late Late Show" with "After Midnight," a program hosted by Taylor Tomlinson that is styled more as a game show, and is said to cost significantly less to produce.

There may still be a chance that Comedy Central hopes to land a big name at some point in the future. There has been some speculation that the network may have approached comedian John Mulaney about the host job at some point in the recent past. A representative for Mulaney could not be reached for immediate comment.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Jordan Klepper or Desi Lydic. Done. Not only are they both excellent at it, they've more than paid their dues already. If I were them, I'd be less than happy about this. It's a slap in the face.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan Klepper or Desi Lydic. Done. Not only are they both excellent at it, they've more than paid their dues already. If I were them, I'd be less than happy about this. It's a slap in the face.
I hoped it would be either them or Roy Wood Jr from the current cast.
In the past I thought Jessica Williams or Wyatt Cenac would nail it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish that NYT smear story against Hasan didn't happen the way it did, I feel like he had this gig.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
They missed their best choice when they didn't make Roy the permanent host.
Pretty much. He was the obvious choice.

Now that it's come to this, I will admit that I am available Comedy Central. Give me a call and we will make this happen.

Nov 2, 2017
After a long and exhaustive host search we, the producers, have decided that I, the executive producer, would make the best option. Please don't look into my past crimes.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
One of these days I'm going to watch some clips of Roy Wood Jr. on The Daily Show and join in on the hype train because I have no context for any of these posts

So until then, I'm throwing my hat in for Jordan Klepper because I like the clips of him I've seen on Instagram.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, based on that, it's not even that they couldn't find a good option, they just don't want one due to the cost. And presumably the expectation that this sort of show is on its last legs. We might be down to the two main Late Night shows five years from now.

I swear, the wet dream for these executives is putting out the same amount of content while spending nothing to actually produce them. Just gonna crowdsource or throw AI at everything.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When the program returns from a hiatus, it is expected to rely heavily on a team of correspondents to lead each night,
Glad to see Comedy Central Execs read Resetera

I still don't quite understand why they can't just move to a more collaborative, ensemble set up?

That solution is right there in front of you!

The strength of the show, even during Jon Stewart's heyday, has always been the correspondents. Yes it's great to have an iconic personality to serve as anchor and establish a core identity, but clearly they dont have that, so maybe the better solution would just be a rotating panel of news anchors and subsequent correspondents.

Feels like it would have a lot of potential to freshen up the format too, provide a space for more creativity and experimentation, allow everyone that has put int he work to take a step forward and have their moments in the spotlight, and fit a lot better into today's media landscape.

www.resetera.com

Variety: Comedy Central widens search for ‘Daily Show’ host beyond Hasan Minhaj Entertainment

Roy Wood, Jr. was my second-favorite guest host during the most recent run. Desi Lydic was my favorite, by a hair. To which I say: co-anchoring is a thing......

Comedy Central, you can DM me and we can discuss where to send my commission check, thanks!

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Pretty much. He was the obvious choice.

Now that it's come to this, I will admit that I am available Comedy Central. Give me a call and we will make this happen.

But if you go to host the Daily Show who will watch over us at resetera in case we do something dumb!?

Hmm better thought it probably would be less stressful than here...

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I saw Roy and Jordan in DC last week at Warner Theater and they were shooting the shit about The Daily Show, Roy kind of making fun of himself getting "fired" from it. They were on the stage together and I was thinking it would be kind of great if they both hosted the show that way as well.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
When the program returns from a hiatus, it is expected to rely heavily on a team of correspondents to lead each night,
Glad to see Comedy Central Execs read Resetera

www.resetera.com

Variety: Comedy Central widens search for ‘Daily Show’ host beyond Hasan Minhaj Entertainment

Roy Wood, Jr. was my second-favorite guest host during the most recent run. Desi Lydic was my favorite, by a hair. To which I say: co-anchoring is a thing......

Comedy Central, you can DM me and we can discuss where to send my commission check, thanks!

Seems like the way their - and most - writer's room is organized does call for a head writer and "lead" especially to define what the show actually will stand for in terms of tone and politics. And provide cover for correspondents as well. A ton of the show relies on ping pong between host and them + interviews. Without a host it's a whole new dynamic. That's where Roy or Jordan would have been amazing. They clearly had Minaj as their plan, let Roy go because of it, and that got nuked into oblivion.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
not having a central host i dont think is gonna work

not to say the show will be bad, but i feel like one of the correspondents will end up playing a host-like role in a short amount of time

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like the way their - and most - writer's room is organized does call for a head writer and "lead" especially to define what the show actually will stand for in terms of tone and politics. And provide cover for correspondents as well. A ton of the show relies on ping pong between host and them + interviews. Without a host it's a whole new dynamic. That's where Roy or Jordan would have been amazing. They clearly had Minaj as their plan, let Roy go because of it, and that got nuked into oblivion.
IMO I just think of SNL. You'll have your senior writers and guys that sort of organize things, end up as the faces of the show, probably even someone that hosts more than others. Im curious how it works out cause I like the experiment, personally.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You fucked around with Roy, blew right past him, and now you don't have anyone of that caliber that would possibly take the gig. Let's call a spade a spade. This is just signing the show's death warrant.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I remember listening to that Strike Force Five podcast with all the late night hosts, and at one point they all just kinda got real for a second and pointed out how weird it was Comedy Central didn't grab John Oliver for the role way back then after his temporary host duties. I prefer having Last Week Tonight than not, but it does seem weird they didn't go with it way back then when they could have,

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Such a self-own. Felt like no one really gave that much of a fuck about the made up stand up stories Hasan did but CC deluded themselves thinking they should have journalistic integrity needing someone impeachable on a fucking comedy news show

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I remember listening to that Strike Force Five podcast with all the late night hosts, and at one point they all just kinda got real for a second and pointed out how weird it was Comedy Central didn't grab John Oliver for the role way back then after his temporary host duties. I prefer having Last Week Tonight than not, but it does seem weird they didn't go with it way back then when they could have,
its wild they didnt pick him considering he guest hosted so many fucking episodes and was really well liked

i guess the timing was just off, they probably just upped jons contract for another couple years just before Oliver left the show

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah they are fucked and I guess admitting no one is watching this the night of anymore.

They had the chance with Roy and back then, not locking up John Oliver

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Last Week Tonight is more insightful and watchable than post-Stewart Daily Show, and I say that as someone who liked Trevor Noah as host. LWT feels like the evolved version of the Daily Show at its peak.

Roy Wood Jr had every right to walk away from the show. Not making him host after Minhaj fell through was an insane mistake.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't ever really watched (the post Jon Stewart era anyway) but have they tried going with co-hosts? Or would they be afraid that it would play too similar to SNL?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Last Week Tonight is more insightful and watchable than post-Stewart Daily Show, and I say that as someone who liked Trevor Noah as host. LWT feels like the evolved version of the Daily Show at its peak.

Roy Wood Jr had every right to walk away from the show. Not making him host after Minhaj fell through was an insane mistake.
im thinking of the really really strong LWT segments just a touch shorter and with some correspondent segments with the same writers and its making me sad for what could have been lol

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
They missed their best choice when they didn't make Roy the permanent host.

Saw Era going on about his when the discussion first came up and didn't really get it. I found his character as a corespondent pretty exhausting. Then went and watched his actual hosting episodes and a bunch of interviews, and loved the fuck out of him.

The difference between his bits and him just being him is astonishing, and I am 100% on team Roy or bust now.

Bengraven