• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
the GOP has tossed every norm and rule out the window. I can't wait for their bitching when dems are in control. I hope they ignore and lambaste them till eternity.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that doesn't describe an illegal covert investigation. That describes the FBI continuing to quietly investigate (that is, no "noisy" things like, say, an indictment, whatever would make news and could influence public perception) a matter the FBI believed to be legitimate and the DOJ being unhappy about it.

Except note that it was specifically the NY FBI doing this not the DC FBI.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
The release of the memos already altered her interview. He can't answer questions without stepping on the investigation, so some of the questions have been good (and about Manafort and Flynn).
Yeah, doesn't look like we are going to get much out of him on these. Too bad the interview wasn't tomorrow so Maddow didn't have to ask about this stuff on the fly.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, lemme just ask you a question here...Do you have a FISA order on Mike Flynn?

Good grief, Priebus. Comey answered him though, then told him what the proper channels to answer the question are.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
If Trump never talked to Putin when did Putin tell him about the hookers??

RupertM

Banned
Nov 18, 2017

Dare I say, this is serious mischaracterization of Comey's memo?

Comey's memo says trump was angry at Flynn because Flynn made Putin wait 6 days for an answer.

This reporter makes it sound like trump was angry at flynn because he prevented Putin wasn't his first call and wanted Putin from being his first call.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, it probably was leaked by DOJ or by Democrats. A Republican leak would be selective to make Comey/FBI look bad.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Comey's memo says trump was angry that he made Putin wait 6 days for an answer.

This reporter makes it sound like trump was angry that Putin wasn't his first call and wanted Putin to be the first call.
I think your read is correct, but it's still the same overall point- Putin's got strings implanted and Trump's very interested in making Putin happy.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
The NY Field Office is the one that was suspected of being "Trumpland" during 2016 (though it might have been more like "AntiHillaryland")
I know, but that doesn't have anything to do with the investigation being "illegal" or done out of malice. NY FBI were also the ones handling the Weiner investigation and found the laptop with the emails. It's a jurisdictional thing.

Oct 26, 2017

lol they leaked already
(DOJ turned them over to congress tonight)

Wow this has to be the fastest leak ever by Congress. :lol

Gotta agree, this speed of light leak was probably by the Dems. After the Nunes Memo, they figured they better get the raw information out there before Nunes can author his eccentric shipping of Comey/FBI fanfiction.

That said, yeah this sets a bad precedent. Most likely there won't be a push to return to the proper norms until the Republicans are in the minority again when they vilify Dems for doing the same thing.

RupertM

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
User banned (24 hours): trolling
I think your read is correct, but it's still the same overall point- Putin's got strings implanted and Trump's very interested in making Putin happy.
But this is why modern journalism is a stigma on democracy. In this case, I had read the entire memo so could immideately notice the spin the journalist put on it.

But in 99.99999% journalists report based on unnamed sources or unrevealed material. How are we to know whether the journalists are spinning or reporting.

I think this is one of the reasons the press's approval ratings are so low. Spinning is for politicians not journalists.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
PoliEra |OT4| Forecast is Stormy with a chance of Drizzle

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But this is why modern journalism is a stigma on democracy. In this case, I had read the entire memo so could immideately notice the spin the journalist put on it.

But in 99.99999% journalists report based on unnamed sources or unrevealed material. How are we to know whether the journalists are spinning or reporting.

I think this is one of the reasons the press's approval ratings are so low. Spinning is for politicians not journalists.
Everyone has an angle/bias/etc. The Intercept/NYT companion pieces on the Trump Honeypot thing a few months ago were a perfect example of that.

You're hanging up on a technicality here- the important part isn't exactly why Trump is upset, it's that he is putting Putin on a ridiculous Pedestal WHEN HE IS THE PRESIDENT.

Oct 25, 2017
I know, but that doesn't have anything to do with the investigation being "illegal" or done out of malice. NY FBI were also the ones handling the Weiner investigation and found the laptop with the emails. It's a jurisdictional thing.

I mean illegal in the sense that in your article it states that it only was perfectly fine for them to focus on investigating the Clinton foundation (and mind you NOT the Trump foundation) because they weren't openly doing it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Got confirmation tonight that Melania does not live in the WH.
Then we had fun guessing how long she sticks it out.

Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting from the Comey Memo thread:

So we know Trump fell for the hookers.

Just something I wanted to add:

Note Colbert's Question and Comey's answer:

Colbert: Did anyone from your office go to that hotel and look at that room?

Comey: Not while I was director

Also very interesting that Colbert's team has been investigating too.

So the questions to wonder are:

Does the FBI already have the tape in its possession? Do they have other tapes as well?

I say other tapes because the Dossier didn't ONLY talk about a Pee Tape it talked about "sex parties" as well.

Oct 27, 2017

Comey's memo says trump was angry at Flynn because Flynn made Putin wait 6 days for an answer.

This reporter makes it sound like trump was angry at flynn because he prevented Putin wasn't his first call and wanted Putin from being his first call.
Trump told May she was the first to call but Flynn then informed him Putin had actually called earlier, which was the first Trump learned about it.

So yes, Trump was mad that he wasn't told about Putin's initial call and that Putin was being made to wait for a return call.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I mean illegal in the sense that in your article it states that it only was perfectly fine for them to focus on investigating the Clinton foundation (and mind you NOT the Trump foundation) because they weren't openly doing it.
I don't really know what you're complaining about. Not taking overt investigative steps in a politically sensitive investigation close to the election is the right thing to do. If Comey had followed those guidelines we might not be in this mess.

Oct 26, 2017

I agree with this. I mentioned yesterday about Trump's so-called "red-line" how it's basically a fabrication from a leading question by the NY Times reporter. It keeps being reported and re-reported as a big red-line proclamation on any business matters Russia related or not when actually when you listen to the audio Trump is more like "Sure, I guess, you could say that..." in relation to Mueller looking into financial matters unrelated to Russia.

Also when journalist quote only a couple of unnamed current and former senior officials, it's very clearly spin or gloried talking points not actual information. I'm okay with them writing articles from unnamed sources, but they should at least acknowledge in the article that what the source is saying could be complete BS and pure spin. At minimum there should be that caveat and maybe make their headline less declarative.

There's been a lot of good journalism over the past year but there's also been a lot of sloppy journalism. And i think the biggest factor contributing to sloppy journalism is the race to claim the latest scoop on Twitter before a rival media outlet does. If they weren't in such a rush maybe they could get a few more counter-balancing sources or maybe add more context to the articles. Or heck, make sure the articles go through the normal editing process. RupertM the misquote you pointed out from the Comey memos could have easily been caught if a second pair of eyes read the source material and then probably reviewed the article/tweet for accuracy. This may allow them to tweet an article and claim a story before their rival, but they're doing damage in the long-run because eventually the inaccuracies catch-up to them and the public trusts them less.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Ivanka makes Stephen Miller carry her bags

0d2ba82abb5dece74b6f8317c49b7f68ac51f034a60cb92e3c832849f1584454.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.