Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Not sure how I could've eloquently titled that, but you get the idea. What are some games that received updates that, in your opinion, actually ended up diminishing the quality of the game. For example, and my pick: Street Fighter Alpha 3 compared to Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold.

Sure, Alpha 3 has significantly more characters and systems compared to 2, but 2 has a much different and better game feel than 3 does. It's also way more evenly balanced than 3.

Any other examples of this?

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Team Fortress 2 right before the Mannconomy was basically perfect, in my eyes.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy X HD. Those updated character face models are straight up worse

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
super mario 64 DS
a game that literally revolutionized character movement with an analog stick ported to a system without one

inb4 someone saying DQXI S

s y

Nov 8, 2017
tempted to say shadow of the colossus ps4 but i think i'll take the 60fps over the art changes and how bluepoint butchered wander's face.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
One may argue Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. The new enemy placements sometimes didn't make sense.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tempted to say shadow of the colossus ps4 but i think i'll take the 60fps over the art changes and how bluepoint butchered wander's face.
that's a good one too. i really hate what they did with the art and atmosphere of the game. the got the colossi extremely right but also messed up a lot in other places.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Brawl has the bigger roster, but Melee was the better game overall.
  • MvCI had better gameplay & netcode, but UMvC3 was the overall better game.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Final Fantasy 6 mobile was a travesty. Even the GBA version of 6 felt like a downgrade in some reguards such as inferior music.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Digital Foundry just did a great video on the classic Rocket Knight Adventures so I'll throw in Rocket Knight :)

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not On Topic but I miss old Overwatch with Huge Res's and distant teleporters. It just feels like a game of counter-characters now.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
No, this thread about games that got updated into worse states isn't going to be about a game which didn't receive updates.
Is it? Because OP is talking about the difference between Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold and Street Fighter Alpha 3. Two different games in a series.

Looking through some other posts, I don't think anyone read the OP.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
GBA ports of Donkey Kong Country. Just so goddamn ugly looking.

maxresdefault.jpg

Isn't that piss yellow skyline just lovely looking?

Now to be fair, this isn't entirely Rare's fault, they were just trying to compensate for the original GBA model lacking a front light, but boy did it result in the games being hit with the ugly stick hard.

Deleted member 44122

those gta games that got "updated" to the mobile versions..

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger DS.

The definitive version of the game has the wrong aspect ratio.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Is it? Because OP is talking about the difference between Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold and Street Fighter Alpha 3. Two different games in a series.

Looking through some other posts, I don't think anyone read the OP.
I dunno why, I thought Alpha 2 and 3 were updates of 1. Ignore meeeeeee

Also I like Brawl so much more than Melee even now. The core fighting isn't as good but the better roster and better single player content just made it better for me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't call going from the sweet, sweet pixel art of the original to the weird pre-rendered sprites "better"

but it's still 8-directional movement as opposed to full analog.
I love the sprites lf BiS, but the first two games...especially sss just didn't age too great. Bowser looks so weird in superstar. I honestly like the dream team style.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Arguably MGS Twin Snakes. Having updated graphics and everything was cool but first-person mode essentially broke the game.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sonic Adventure got progressively glitchier and uglier with each port

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls II is still a good game in its own right, even though it's not as good as the rest of the series.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin is TRASH.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say MGS Twin Snakes. Graphical improvement going from PS1 to GC was awesome, but some of the other things not so much for me, leaving me with fonder memories of the original.

I'd probably also say the mobile FFVI as a few others have stated, but I've never played it yet since the new sprite work just put me off from even attempting to purchase it.