• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
"Sundaram continued on, explaining that his teammates have had more luck in engaging in sexual intercourse than he has. "Go French and your panties get drenched," he said of his French teammates."

Man, to be a an audience member watching this disaster unfold. Dude thinks he's on his own Netflix special and little does he know he fucked up his whole life.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what you are even ranting about. It's incomprehensible despite the volume of text you struggle to use. Almost like you are talking to someone else who isn't here.

The overreaction by some adults to this situation who won't even remember it 24 hours later once their attention is turned to what Florida Man has done next.

Without more serious intent, to categorise this screw up by what is I assume a 16 or 17 year old (or maybe 18) as "violent" and even have the Daily Mail writing about it is just a bit over the top for me. Just my opinion.

"Sundaram continued on, explaining that his teammates have had more luck in engaging in sexual intercourse than he has. "Go French and your panties get drenched," he said of his French teammates."

Man, to be a an audience member watching this disaster unfold. Dude thinks he's on his own Netflix special and little does he know he fucked up his whole life.

Yeah, like, precisely the crazy thing here. Face some embarrassment? Be asked to apologise? Yeah sure, teens have to do that a lot. Be categorised as violence and have adults say yeah this is the kind of thing that should fuck up your whole life? Sheeesh. Are adults really that desperate for constant blood sacrifice in the modern social media connected world we live in some fuck ups can't be properly examined for what they are and kids/those with a bit of maturing still to do be handled a bit more reasonably/in proportion?

Last edited:

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing he's 21 univ Portland senior not high school . So not a 16 year old unless he's some tennis prodigy and at that stage it's quite highly
Inappropriate not just embarrassing . But yes I wouldn't characterize this as violent .

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
'Go brown and turn your frown upside down'
'Go French and your panties get drenched'
'Ghandi didn't go on hunger strike so I couldn't sleep with white women'

These wouldn't be out of place in a comedy routine. His biggest fuck up is not realising this wasn't the audience to pull this shit. He probably tried this shit on his buds, got laughs, they told him he should do it on stage, he thought why not and here we are.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

These wouldn't be out of place in a comedy routine. His biggest fuck up is not realising this wasn't the audience to pull this shit. He probably tried this shit on his buds, got laughs, they told him he should do it on stage, he thought why not and here we are.
Essentially guys an idiot . But you know fuck up apologize frankly and truly . I think his apology is lacking as I said but as I've also said I wouldn't characterize this as violent either .

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Without more serious intent, to categorise this screw up by what is I assume a 16 or 17 year old as "violent" and even have the Daily Mail writing about it is just a bit over the top for me. Just my opinion.
Ehhhh. You are either completely unfamiliar with educational systems or you didn't bother to read anything before being outraged? This is not a high school. This is a university. He is a senior. He's in his 20s. Not some teenage kid.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's precisely my point. It wasn't appropriate and he shouldn't have tried to make an event like this all about "a night with Goutham Sundaram".

Dude fucked up, dude will face some consequences, but it's the level some seem to reach for to almost want blood drawn out of people as if every single situation of fucking up is equal to every other.

I have no credible evidence supplied here this guy is actually some sort of threat or should be on a watch list of some sorts. Comes across as what it appears to be. Immaturity and thinking using an events platform to deliver "zingers" and humour around his ethnicity will have everyone laugh. That's not the case.

It's probably joking given the nature of the topic but it's speculated about him being an incel on the first page. If it was discovered the guy was writing diaries talking about hating women and so on maybe we could start asking if he was an incel.

Ehhhh. You are either completely unfamiliar with educational systems or you didn't bother to read anything before being outraged? This is not a high school. This is a university. He is a senior. He's in his 20s. Not some teenage kid.

Common for 17 or 18 for Uni in the UK, might be different in America if its more into the 20s. Juniors and seniors terminology isn't used here at all, or it's not common. Does it actually state in any article what age he is?

Last edited:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially guys an idiot . But you know fuck up apologize frankly and truly . I think his apology is lacking as I said but as I've also said I wouldn't characterize this as violent either .

Yeah, the apology is some 'I'm sorry you were offended' bullshit.

I imagine it's his ego coming into play at this point, he thought he'd kill it up on stage, end the year and his tennis career at the uni on a high and funny note but he's been kicked off the team and likely damaged his future opportunities.

The level of self inflicted damage probably hasn't fully sunk in yet.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the apology is some 'I'm sorry you were offended' bullshit.

I imagine it's his ego coming into play at this point, he thought he'd kill it up on stage, end the year and his tennis career at the uni on a high and funny note but he's been kicked off the team and likely damaged his future opportunities.

The level of self inflicted damage probably hasn't fully sunk in yet.
yup more or less nailed it on the head . Im guessing as some have pointed out he doesnt quite get why say his team thinks its funny but the general audience doesnt. He's young tho he can learn that jokes which are acceptable to a close circle of friends/teammates who know you well and the context are not something to just spout out on a university banquet.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could get into uni at 18, you're not going to be finishing it at 18...

The OP didn't suggest he was finishing? Just mentions an attendance at an annual awards banquet and he's part of a school tennis team.

Look, everyone can make their own sense of this and decide what they think is reasonable. When I see "fucked up whole life", "destroyed future", non hyperbolic use of "violent speech" or just "violence" and incel, then read what went on here whilst piecing together some supporting evidence I just personally come to the conclusion all of this is slightly disproportionate. Or, do I feel "safer" now this young man is dealt with by the global hand of retribution?

Just me, you and million others will feel differently than me. I'm still at least acknowledging it wasn't appropriate what he did and an apology is reasonable, there's others that will just upfront claim nothing was wrong here at all and it was funny. Did I find it funny? Maybe a little. In that sort of you're trying to do a teen sex comedy in real time and... it's a bit cringey mate. But violence? Nah, sorry. No violent intent for me, nor do I have supporting data to suggest this guy is violent and hateful.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's like a weird Incel+Chad combo.
You got an athlete Chad delivering an Incel-like speech.
People are weird maaaaan

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
comedy is hard, guys.

especially when you don't understand basic shit like, time and place.

In the right time and place these jokes probably gets at least a light chuckle if his delivery is decent.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
comedy is hard, guys.

especially when you don't understand basic shit like, time and place.

In the right time and place these jokes probably gets at least a light chuckle if his delivery is decent.

It is the wrong time for after dark humour. Light jokes can break the ice and calm someone's nerves when doing public speaking, but he went full Netflix rated 18 comedy special. Or, old school teen movie that probably had a 12 rating in the 90s/00s.

Maybe I'm just a bit biased on this one cause for once its the Indian guy trying to be the edgy stand up comedian jock and botching it rather than the normal white chiseled "Chad" as the meme seems to go. But the Indian guy is getting the full "your life is over/ruined" international mainstream attention and dissection. Or called violent and an incel. I just need a bit more evidence than what we have to start making such grand statements about someone I don't even know.

This will be moved on from in 24 hours but in the short-term people are still thinking it's proportionate to say the guys life should be ruined/over/severely impacted, rather than some embarrassment, a knock on pride, a learning curve and sure some sort of apology to say that wasn't appropriate. Maybe I'm old school but I can accept an apology for this as the intent seems to be a joke. I don't need the school to become a media circus and almost lust for blood for the "perpetrator" chewed up and spat out.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Holy shit, that speech belongs in the Cringe Era thread.

Also (and I know I ought not to) as a brown guy myself, I feel ashamed reading that.

Nov 30, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory generalizations.
Lol everything about this is hilarious.

Typical brown guy. Going somewhere athletically only to screw up. Horny ass fuckers.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Makes me think of a guy who is trying to be funny but doesn't know when they've gone too far. The Ghandi bit was good but the rest reeks of Elliot Rogers psychopath kind of stuff.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the guy should have rugby tackled him to the ground, thrown him out a window and then roared into the room I AM THE JUSTICE AGAINST POOR JOKES AND DUMB ASS TEENS, FEAR ME! HEAR ME ROOOOAR! WOOOOO!

Managing this shit? Internal handling of what appears to be some teen thinking he's in a comedy hall and having him apologise within the school. This does not need viral global attention tut-tutting and feigned-outrage from adults who don't even know where this school is let alone have any connection to it.

No this did not ruin anyone's day or was some sort of actual tragedy with victims who have been harassed, hurt or abused. I know for a fact the majority of adults reading this probably even let out a "secret smirk" in their heads before thinking "oh gosh that was inappropriate, I better make sure I tell everyone I am absolutely appalled by this young man".

Teenagers still have to face consequences for making choices and mistakes in their lives, but I think some adults actually treat it like a bloodsports at times where teens can never be teens and said adults were obviously totally perfect as teens themselves.

I almost expect someone to tell me "but we have to make sure this isn't another Charles Manson or School shooter in the making". Sounds like an Indian kid trying to be a comedian delivering stand up lines you'd see in any 90s or 00s teen movie. Remember those teen movies most of Era probably watched but now won't admit to incase anyone says they were problematic?

Lol. Agree completely.

The craziest thing about this is that someone thought it was worthy of national news and national attention. In a country of 300 million people, how the hell is this what constitutes as news.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Lol. Agree completely.

The craziest thing about this is that someone thought it was worthy of national news and national attention. In a country of 300 million people, how the hell is this what constitutes as news.

I mean if you take it straight and not as a joke, it sounds like the manifesto of Elliot Roger. And that's the issue not everyone is taking it as a joke.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His material's good, I wonder how his timing and delivery are?

Sounds like he's got himself a solid 5 or 10 minute set. Earned himself another few mins from this incident too.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid enough to turn an awards banquet into an impromptu comedy routine while not actually being a stand up comedian with the talent to tell good jokes

Thinking people will appreciate your tongue-in-cheek banter and hugely misreading the room is orders of magnitude less stupid than thinking you have a right to white-girl pussy and the best place to claim that right is at a tennis awards dinner.

He was obviously joking, he just fucked up in misjudging how seriously people would take it. He's a boorish clown, that's all.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you take it straight and not as a joke, it sounds like the manifesto of Elliot Roger. And that's the issue not everyone is taking it as a joke.

If you remove context and intent from just about anything you can imply someone sounds like a serial killer or a psychopath. Context and intent need other human beings not to remove what is staring them in the face but accept it. Something can still be wrong, a mistake or worthy of criticism, without anyone having to start making things up just to make something appear more extreme or serious than it really is.

This is quite clearly immaturity spawning jokes gone wrong with bad delivery, timing and place. Not the future grounding for a Netflix Documentary called "Making of an Indian tennis superstar serial killer".

I don't understand some people who take things and say I'm going to ignore what this actually is, to take it how I want, so I can tell you the original intent is what I'm now telling you it is. My brain works based on facts and evidence. I care about what something is, not what I want to feel it is. The world needs more of that and less of "I'll just fill in the blanks or completely make things up to fit my hypothesis".

The guy who probably does have some self-confidence/ego tries to do a comedy routine you'd expect an Indian comedian to do in a teen comedy/standup, it understandably fails due to the setting, location and overall audience, the guy gets blowback, apologizes, and life should go on. No one died, no one was hurt, no one was specifically called out or harassed, it was embarrassing for the individual and the school.

However, this goes viral, then other people start speculating maybe he's some sort of incel future serial killer/harasser/rapist or whatever a mind fills in the blanks with, a frenzy gets whipped up, school becomes a media circus, MSM and forums/blogs/FB/Twitter and where else have fun for a 24 hour news cycle, etc. The most unflattering part of that for me is the taking of someone you can know hardly anything about and extrapolating such dire and serious projection as "incel" and some nods to genuine violence without having any evidence supporting that being true of the guy at all. Why not take what the intent seems to be, and accept it, and still be able to say I'm glad he apologised, that was inappropriate. Why does it have to go to "life should be ruined" this quickly? That is what I do get frustrated with when I witness it with parts of the internet and social media at times.

Take the facts as they are, respond to the facts, make opinions on the facts and state what reasonable outcomes you expect for consequences around the facts. Less hyperbole and less flying off the rails to fill in the blanks or exaggerate stories for effect would make the internet a marginally more tolerable experience from time to time.

Last edited:

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Sounds like he was trying to be funny and failed. Oh well, comedy isnt his thing I guess, stick to tennis (at a different school).

Jan 18, 2018
Heaens forbid a brown man use humor to discuss race relations and sex. Know your place dude, stick to engineering.

But seriously, i think the stereotype that Indian men are misogynistic virgins is why some heard this as a sincere rant and not a comedy routine

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck who...?

What do you want, a giant cartoon hook to come offstage or something? This clown insulted them.
I would actually be in favour of bringing the crook back until comedians rediscover their ability to read a fucking room. A university awards dinner is not the right place to complain that nobody wants to bone you.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Sundaram said "Gandhi didn't fast for twenty days so that I could get to America and not sleep with white women," many people began to leave.
tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

What the fuck am I reading?

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Lol That Ghandi quote is too much. I probably would have lost my shit if I were there no lie

Yeah, I mean, that is an amazing line.

And I mean, completely bombing out and people walking out, makes it even funnier.

I dunno, I guess he is touching upon the racism towards south asian men? in what seems to be an inappropriate way which makes it way more hilarious.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would actually be in favour of bringing the crook back until comedians rediscover their ability to read a fucking room. A university awards dinner is not the right place to complain that nobody wants to bone you.

Oh I agree. But this weird tone to the article where they want to throw shade at the school admin because they somehow didn't deplatform the guy fast enough mid-speech, is bizarre to me.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is Michael Scott doing the Chris Rock joke in The Office.

Or to quote Maddox, you are not Dave Chappelle and you aren't funny. Yes, young men need to be educated that the locker room begins and ends with a finite space.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018

I dunno. That's what makes it even funnier, imo.

Going through with it, could be the act of pure heroism.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
So there are two possibilities
  • He was delivering a speech that was near identical to Elliot Rogers misogynistic manifesto and some in the audience took it as a comedy routine while others saw it for what it was
  • He was delivering a misogynistic comedy routine that was near identical to Elliot Rodgers misogynistic manifesto and some in the audience took it for a comedy routine while others were aware of what it sounded just like

Either way, dude is a fucking dumbass that sounds almost exactly like a murderous incel serial killer.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a comedy act gone wrong, though that Ghandi line - at least on paper - was pretty funny. Kind of wish there was a video of this. Dude deserved getting kicked off the team - whether he was trying to be funny or not, I don't think that was the place, and it sounds like he failed really bad.