Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
latest

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
It's so nice outside at the moment. It's warm, the sun is going down and most of Grimsby and Cleethorpes smells of pollen instead of the kind of smell we usually get when it's warm, which is the smell of shit when all the farmers in Lincolnshire start chucking it on their fields.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the channel 4 documentary about 'there's something about Miriam'

I remember watching it at the time and obvious transphobia aside it's striking that even though it's 'only' 20 years ago the whole lad culture and outrage culture is so jarring and disgusting looking back on it.

I was probably part of that culture as well but crazy how normalised it was

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
My internal clock woke me up at 2:30AM so I could order the Lego TIE Interceptor.

Thank you brain!

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
My Apple Watch just gave me an elevated heart rate notification while eating a sandwich. It was an exceptionally good sandwich tbf.

Ah, that makes sense and is disappointing. Guess I can wait a week.
Your gf is going to have seen the film at least six times by then and I'm not convinced she'll have the best spoiler discipline.

The heat season has arrived. Meaco shall protect us from the blazing rays of Sol!

View: https://youtu.be/Er-vvpPPrp8?si=xdHpc2CoQjyxOkvP
Remember those old chewing gum adverts that showed a line graph for saliva production to overexplain why someone was okay eating onions during a business lunch?

That's all I see with the meaco "air circulation" line diagrams.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Horrible weather here. It is 18c but so muggy you are sweating bullets. You can't win in this country.

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everybody, I'm back! I'm going to try and refrain from posting but wanted to say a huge thanks to those who had my back - I really appreciate it.

Take care all 💜

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just over 2 weeks till the lads birthday and my daily HDUK refresh isn't going well for the Gaming PC, I may be a faildad at this rate

Shame the Costco one is white and I would have likely jumped if it was black - aesthetics are important
it seems

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Leaning desktop budget £800 (would go a bit higher but not super super higher)

PS I forgot to say the Meaco made an appearance last night

nice white costco offer on HUKD which is aesthetic if you are ok with all white. similar one for similar money too in black (and you can customise so tweak the case if desired) https://www.hotukdeals.com/share-de...l&utm_campaign=2024-05-01&utm_content=4334033 No OS so would need to add that or download separately

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
nice white costco offer on HUKD which is aesthetic if you are ok with all white. similar one for similar money too in black (and you can customise so tweak the case if desired) https://www.hotukdeals.com/share-de...l&utm_campaign=2024-05-01&utm_content=4334033 No OS so would need to add that or download separately

Yep he won't go for white sadly or would have jumped on that

Would rather have something with windows if easy to add legitimately but thank you for looking I do genuinely appreciate it

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yep he won't go for white sadly or would have jumped on that

Would rather have something with windows if easy to add legitimately but thank you for looking I do genuinely appreciate it

the one in my link you can add windows to the build for a bit extra (or just download onto a usb stick from microsoft and boot from it). case is all black with a window (very important) and you can choose from a variety of cases for £10-20 extra too

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Moving house in a month or so, is there a way I can find out which broadband isn't shit before I get there? Spoke to the girl who's there at the moment and she said she tried Virgin but it was really slow, and she was on BT which was much better. But when I look, BT offers a max speed of around 60MB and Virgin claims over 1000MB. Those numbers don't mean much to me in terms of real-life use, but one is clearly over 15x higher than the other so I dunno what to do if she was much more impressed with the slower one. Even Virgin's basic service is twice as quick as BT's, based on what it offers me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anywhere with virgin will be Fibre so faster than any regular ADSL. Pretty much the only alternative is fibre to the premises which you can check on openreach website if it's coming to your area soon. Then you can usually pick between the regular providers who piggyback that service

Until then if you want speed you'll be limited to virgin. I've been with them for years but recently moved off to sky as we got fibre. Only advise I'd give is use your own router and use the virgin box as modem only

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've never meddled with AI but had a play with copilot and it's annoyingly addictive, you have to worry for some careers

I think a lot of the stuff I do in my HR role will be automated soon enough

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Moving house in a month or so, is there a way I can find out which broadband isn't shit before I get there? Spoke to the girl who's there at the moment and she said she tried Virgin but it was really slow, and she was on BT which was much better. But when I look, BT offers a max speed of around 60MB and Virgin claims over 1000MB. Those numbers don't mean much to me in terms of real-life use, but one is clearly over 15x higher than the other so I dunno what to do if she was much more impressed with the slower one. Even Virgin's basic service is twice as quick as BT's, based on what it offers me.
I haven't been with Virgin for a few years, but it used to get very congested at peak times so I can see why someone might think it's slow. You're best bet is to just chuck the post code in Uswitch or similar to see what's available.

Anywhere with virgin will be Fibre so faster than any regular ADSL. Pretty much the only alternative is fibre to the premises which you can check on openreach website if it's coming to your area soon. Then you can usually pick between the regular providers who piggyback that service
Openreach website says I can get 1800mbps, but the only ISP I can find offering more than 900 is EE, which offer 1600. Very odd.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK

Until then if you want speed you'll be limited to virgin. I've been with them for years but recently moved off to sky as we got fibre. Only advise I'd give is use your own router and use the virgin box as modem only

I haven't been with Virgin for a few years, but it used to get very congested at peak times so I can see why someone might think it's slow. You're best bet is to just chuck the post code in Uswitch or similar to see what's available.
Thanks both, looking at openreach it looks like my internet speed is gonna take a pretty big hit unless I go with Virgin when I move, so I might just have to risk it. Was just confused as there are so many different speeds and services being offered and it all feels like kind of a scam, like they're just making numbers up or offering something that might not actually be available in reality.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks both, looking at openreach it looks like my internet speed is gonna take a pretty big hit unless I go with Virgin when I move, so I might just have to risk it. Was just confused as there are so many different speeds and services being offered and it all feels like kind of a scam, like they're just making numbers up or offering something that might not actually be available in reality.

nah they just offer tons of combinations with tv/mobile etc etc. You may have to get TV with them or at least landline as their broadband only can be damn expensive. I think they only do 125/250/500/900 speeds (maybe one more not sure) so 125mb should be the slowest and the price curve seems to give the best bang for buck around 500mb although I went for the full gigabit because it sounded cool even though barely nothing saturated it - maybe steam downloads but don't think the consoles ever did

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Bloody elections, everyone is helping out with polling and counts and the like so we're understaffed. More than normal. Hope the Tories at least get a pasting to make up for it.

Oct 27, 2017

Internet speeds are interesting in that it's easy to get caught up in the race for raw numbers and end up paying for a speed you don't really need. I don't have much choice on speed where I live, it maxes out at about 200mb from all providers. Fibre isn't available. So for some real world reference, I'm on BT, I use a simple two pod Deco mesh and get about 140-180mb on a normal day and thats sufficient for one of my kids to play Fortnite on the Xbox, the other to play Fortnite on the PS5 (they often play together as a team) whilst the wife and I browse YouTube/Instagram/Reddit and Alexa plays Spotify songs in the kitchen or while we watch Netflix on the tablet.

Basically everything we could conceivably be doing as a family at once and I've not had any issues with speed or connection etc. More speed would be nice, quicker downloads etc, but even if it was available I don't think I'd really need 1Gb speeds for day to day living.

Anyone have premium bonds? Always enjoy the prize checker day usually followed by disappointment usually

My mum has had them for just over 60 years and never, not once, won anything. Which makes me think she must have just the one to be that unlucky with even a small prize.