entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The gymnast, whom authorities did not publicly identify, tested positive while training for the games in Narita, about 35 miles east of Tokyo, according to city officials. She is between the age of 10 and 19. A statement from USA Gymnastics said that the athlete tested positive Sunday and that she and another alternate member of the team were quarantined.

After arriving in Japan on Thursday, the gymnasts stayed in their travel accommodations and practiced in venues, but did not spend time in the city, according to the city. Another team member who was identified as a "close contact" of the gymnast has been placed "on standby."

A mess

www.nbcnews.com

Kara Eaker, U.S. women's gymnastics alternate, tests positive for Covid days before Olympics

U.S. women's gymnastics alternates Kara Eaker and Leanne Wong were placed under quarantine, according to officials.

All these athletes will then go to their respective homes, spreading variants around. And not every country has the vaccine stockpile of the US.

They really need to cancel this and move back Olympics to an even year.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
So are they going to cancel the Olympics, or just nah, this is fine?

'It's going better than expected' :p

english.kyodonews.net

More South African Olympic soccer players deemed close COVID contacts

The Tokyo Olympic Games organizing committee says it has identified 21 people as close contacts of the three South African men's soccer team members who tested positive for the coronavirus at the athletes' village.

Brian McCloskey, a health expert advising the International Olympic Committee, said at a press conference on Monday that the athletes' village is safe because people staying there are being tested for the virus on a regular basis.

He also said the 58 COVID-19 cases confirmed among people related to the Olympics in July, announced by the organizing committee, were something he had expected and perhaps lower than projected.

He said he believes the games will not contribute to spreading the virus in Japan, while adding it is impossible to predict what the infection situation will be after the games close on Aug. 8.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's already taking a herculean effort to keep major sports leagues worldwide up and running during COVID.

The Olympics with its hundreds of events and people from all over the world is a disaster waiting to happen.

plagiarize

Unfurling New Wings
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So are they going to cancel the Olympics, or just nah, this is fine?
Basically, expect these Olympics to have a lot of asterisks on them.

It's kind of like how I came fifth in the Cape Cod Marathon last year, with a time that probably wouldn't have normally put me in the top 100.

Medalists will be the best in their sports*.

I'm still going to watch though.

*of those not currently sick or having to quarantine because of covid.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, expect these Olympics to have a lot of asterisks on them.

It's kind of like how I came fifth in the Cape Cod Marathon last year, with a time that probably wouldn't have normally put me in the top 100.

Medalists will be the best in their sports*.

I'm still going to watch though.

*of those not currently sick or having to quarantine because of covid.
I'm sure this is the mindset people will be going with to take Simone Biles's achievements from her.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
They're going to use pro sports as a comparison. There were plenty of positive tests in multiple leagues, but the games pushed on and the leagues got their seasons completed.

The olympics will do the same. They're not going to cancel.

abellwillring

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't think canceling it was the right thing to do and obviously it's absolutely impossible to do at this point (plus, it wouldn't make any sense since all of the athletes are already there more or less). These athletes have such a small window of opportunity to compete.. many will only get 1 chance in their lives to be at the Olympics. Most spectators for any Olympics are watching via TV, so it makes sense to push ahead even without people in the crowd. It sucks for the Japanese public and for the organizers there, but I'm glad they're happening. They're obviously going to be largely locked down so it shouldn't cause much of a spread to locals regardless of what happens.

There will continue to be a lot of athletes who have to pull out due to positive tests and that's a shame, but better than none of them getting to participate at all. I am guessing all of the athletes will remain quarantined after the games to help prevent some spread.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The media is going to make a big deal out of every positive test for the clicks. It's an alternate gymnast with no symptoms. Pro sports had a bunch of no symptom positives along with a bunch of false positives.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
The media is going to make a big deal out of every positive test for the clicks. It's an alternate gymnast with no symptoms. Pro sports had a bunch of no symptom positives along with a bunch of false positives.
Basically.

Granted, they still should have cancelled the Olympics. This isn't helping vaccine hesitancy with the hot take headline though.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They're going to use pro sports as a comparison. There were plenty of positive tests in multiple leagues, but the games pushed on and the leagues got their seasons completed.

The olympics will do the same. They're not going to cancel.
Well the issue is when most Japanese want it cancelled. Japan has a pretty big elderly population as well.