• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize the Trump administration, who campaigned on the iran deal being revoked, doesn't make decisions for America.
It makes sense that somebody like you would think this way, but America is actually supposed to be a democracy of sorts. Just FYI.

Not to mention Trump has some of the most unpopular agenda of any President in recent memory and is likely the cause of a shift back to blue...

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
So Trump is bungling is into war on two fronts, each one of which would make the 2000s Iraq/Afghanistan clusterfuck look simple in comparison. There's no way this doesn't lead to resumed enrichment, and no way that Trump's advisors don't press him for strikes in response to that. Meanwhile, this poisons the well completely for North Korea, and if those talks fall apart there's no way he doesn't lash out in response.

It feels like we're backed into a corner where the best future going forward is a war of only limited strikes in Iran, and Trump falling for a North Korean trick to pull out of South Korea in exchange for the North ceasing the nuclear testing it's no longer capable of doing, just because at this point that's preferable to the talks falling apart and turning into war.
We know limited strikes wouldn't do squat to Iran's nuclear program though. You need massive sustained strikes followed by ground operations.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
How so? The deal has many holes for Iran, its actually kind of pathetic that the USA would agree to such terms.

First, the plan limits Iran's access to uranium until 2025 to 2030. After that, these uranium protections expire and they are free to do whatever the hell they want.

Second, the deal completely fails to adequately address Iran's ballistic missile program. The deal allows Iran 14 days to object to a site inspection, followed by a 7 day review period by the arbitration committee, and then permits a 3 day window for Tehran to set up an inspection. In total, this allows Iran 24 DAYS to relocate, conceal, or destroy illegal materials.

Third, Iran military sites are prohibited from any regulatory inspections. How this was agreed on by the Obama administration, is truly fucking baffling.

Coupled with the fact that Iran received $150 billion worth of released assets from lifted sanctions, and $12 billion worth of immediate sanction relief upon simply signing the agreement, yeah.. I would say it's absolute dog shit.

So how is this better? Until today Iran was completely compliant with the agreement, it has been 3 years and they haven't developed any nuclear weapons, and couldn't even start for another 7-12 years.

Isn't it better to not let them have access to that stuff for almost a decade rather than completely backpedaling on an agreement giving them full authority to go ahead and start developing the things that we were so against to begin with?

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
An appropriate response to you would get me banned, and you're not worth it. But I guess you know more than the IAEA. I'll never understand how people like you literally celebrate something that will inevitably bring pain and suffering to so many people (Iranians as well as the rest of the world) in so many ways.

"The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has repeatedly confirmed that Tehran has been meeting its nuclear commitments fully."
Because people like him don't give a fuck about brown people or others as long as they are in power. They don't care about facts. This is the real face of America: ignorant and racist.

I'm fucking confused as to why Trump is putting so much effort and time into brokering nuclear agreements with North Korea, but then he goes and does this with Iran? Is he just that stupid, and believes he can do the same saber rattling bullshit with Iran and achieve the same effect with them as he did NK? Is it deeper than that, and he is trying to prevent war in NK so that it can be focused entirely on the Middle East? Are we about to see the Middle East become even more of a war zone, cratered with nukes, in the name of stealing more of their oil?

Is there a point in which that no longer seems like conspiracy theory ranting, and more like what could actually happen?

This idiot is going to get us into another war.
Israel runs this shit, my man. Say what you will about Russia but we already have two documented instances of Trump and Israeli collusion (undermining Obama at the UN - but they ignored it and solely focused on Flynn contacting the Russian ambassador) and the now the Black Cube fiasco looks to be the same shit.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Not many folks really know at this point. But like you, Im searching for real analysis devoid of the heated rhetoric.

Just found a new Vox article that I think explains the situation quite well. In regards to the violation bit:

But the whole point of the deal is a quid pro quo: Iran agrees to nuclear restrictions in exchange for the financial benefits of sanctions relief, which would amount to billions and billions of dollars. What Trump did today was reimpose a major portion of the pre-deal sanctions regime — something called "secondary sanctions" targeting Iran's oil sector.

Secondary sanctions don't punish Iran directly, instead targeting international banks that do business with Iran's oil sector. Hence why they're "secondary": Instead of hitting the primary target, Iran, they cut off access to US markets for third parties that want to work with Iran. In effect, it forces foreign countries into a choice between importing large amounts of Iranian oil or doing business with the United States. Since America is the world's largest economy, it's not exactly a hard choice — and thus would end up punishing close US allies that want to do business with Iran.

Reimposing these sanctions puts the US in clear violation of its obligations under the deal, thus effectively withdrawing America as a participant — and significantly reducing Iran's incentive to stay in.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Obama made a long post five minutes ago:

There are few issues more important to the security of the United States than the potential spread of nuclear weapons, or the potential for even more destructive war in the Middle East. That's why the United States negotiated the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in the first place.

The reality is clear. The JCPOA is working – that is a view shared by our European allies, independent experts, and the current U.S. Secretary of Defense. The JCPOA is in America's interest – it has significantly rolled back Iran's nuclear program. And the JCPOA is a model for what diplomacy can accomplish – its inspections and verification regime is precisely what the United States should be working to put in place with North Korea. Indeed, at a time when we are all rooting for diplomacy with North Korea to succeed, walking away from the JCPOA risks losing a deal that accomplishes – with Iran – the very outcome that we are pursuing with the North Koreans.

That is why today's announcement is so misguided. Walking away from the JCPOA turns our back on America's closest allies, and an agreement that our country's leading diplomats, scientists, and intelligence professionals negotiated. In a democracy, there will always be changes in policies and priorities from one Administration to the next. But the consistent flouting of agreements that our country is a party to risks eroding America's credibility, and puts us at odds with the world's major powers.

Debates in our country should be informed by facts, especially debates that have proven to be divisive. So it's important to review several facts about the JCPOA.

First, the JCPOA was not just an agreement between my Administration and the Iranian government. After years of building an international coalition that could impose crippling sanctions on Iran, we reached the JCPOA together with the United Kingdom, France, Germany, the European Union, Russia, China, and Iran. It is a multilateral arms control deal, unanimously endorsed by a United Nations Security Council Resolution.

Second, the JCPOA has worked in rolling back Iran's nuclear program. For decades, Iran had steadily advanced its nuclear program, approaching the point where they could rapidly produce enough fissile material to build a bomb. The JCPOA put a lid on that breakout capacity. Since the JCPOA was implemented, Iran has destroyed the core of a reactor that could have produced weapons-grade plutonium; removed two-thirds of its centrifuges (over 13,000) and placed them under international monitoring; and eliminated 97 percent of its stockpile of enriched uranium – the raw materials necessary for a bomb. So by any measure, the JCPOA has imposed strict limitations on Iran's nuclear program and achieved real results.

Third, the JCPOA does not rely on trust – it is rooted in the most far-reaching inspections and verification regime ever negotiated in an arms control deal. Iran's nuclear facilities are strictly monitored. International monitors also have access to Iran's entire nuclear supply chain, so that we can catch them if they cheat. Without the JCPOA, this monitoring and inspections regime would go away.

Fourth, Iran is complying with the JCPOA. That was not simply the view of my Administration. The United States intelligence community has continued to find that Iran is meeting its responsibilities under the deal, and has reported as much to Congress. So have our closest allies, and the international agency responsible for verifying Iranian compliance – the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

Fifth, the JCPOA does not expire. The prohibition on Iran ever obtaining a nuclear weapon is permanent. Some of the most important and intrusive inspections codified by the JCPOA are permanent. Even as some of the provisions in the JCPOA do become less strict with time, this won't happen until ten, fifteen, twenty, or twenty-five years into the deal, so there is little reason to put those restrictions at risk today.

Finally, the JCPOA was never intended to solve all of our problems with Iran. We were clear-eyed that Iran engages in destabilizing behavior – including support for terrorism, and threats toward Israel and its neighbors. But that's precisely why it was so important that we prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. Every aspect of Iranian behavior that is troubling is far more dangerous if their nuclear program is unconstrained. Our ability to confront Iran's destabilizing behavior – and to sustain a unity of purpose with our allies – is strengthened with the JCPOA, and weakened without it.

Because of these facts, I believe that the decision to put the JCPOA at risk without any Iranian violation of the deal is a serious mistake. Without the JCPOA, the United States could eventually be left with a losing choice between a nuclear-armed Iran or another war in the Middle East. We all know the dangers of Iran obtaining a nuclear weapon. It could embolden an already dangerous regime; threaten our friends with destruction; pose unacceptable dangers to America's own security; and trigger an arms race in the world's most dangerous region. If the constraints on Iran's nuclear program under the JCPOA are lost, we could be hastening the day when we are faced with the choice between living with that threat, or going to war to prevent it.

In a dangerous world, America must be able to rely in part on strong, principled diplomacy to secure our country. We have been safer in the years since we achieved the JCPOA, thanks in part to the work of our diplomats, many members of Congress, and our allies. Going forward, I hope that Americans continue to speak out in support of the kind of strong, principled, fact-based, and unifying leadership that can best secure our country and uphold our responsibilities around the globe.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is clearly moronic.

There is zero sensible reason to do this. The war boner in Washington is something I can't understand.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
it's really sad that Mad Dog is probably the only sane person in this administration anymore, and unfortunately it appears that his influence is very limited at this point.

I keep hearing this, but isn't James Mattis one of the most hard-edged people against Iran in the military? I remember reading that he despises the Iranian government as a Marine because of their association with the deaths of hundreds of Marines in Lebanon during the Reagan years. It's amazing how that was allowed to happen under a Republican president where a Democrat would have been impeached and hung for allowing such a blunder to happen.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The best thing Iran could do is nothing, just keep the deal going with the rest if possible, stay open, take the sanctions on chin and ride it out.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
people remember the lessons of iraq perfectly. the national security apparatus remembers that it got a shitload of money and authority to pursue a war on terror, the military industrial complex remembers that it grew even fatter on defense contracts, the media remembers lots of lucrative bloody coverage of a foreign war, and the administration remembers how the last deeply unpopular republican president got reelected off the back of idiotic patriotism.

most of all, they all remember that there were no consequences for people like them. nobody went to jail for lying to get us into a war, no media figure was fired or marginalized for cheerleading the worst foreign policy disaster of the modern age, nobody was prosecuted for torturing prisoners of war, nobody even questioned drone striking foreign civilians or american citizens. they all reaped huge rewards and the only people who suffered were the grunts on the ground and the general populace who paid for it all.

our system is specifically built to encourage things like this, so why on earth wouldn't they do it again?

Truth.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily that Obama statement is too long for Trump to read - and therefore react to.

I do expect some unhinged tweets soon though.

JJJ117

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
New York, USA
User Banned (7 Days): Trolling. Commenting on a sensitive topic while willfully displaying ignorance.
It was one of his big campain promises so it makes sense. Im not to familiar with the deal so i could care less tbh.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for all the major American news outlets to go

"We still hate Trump but he is right about us needing a new Mid East war!"

They never met a war in the middle east they didn't like.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i appreciate obamas words but wish they were more direct. call trump a thoughtless pathetic toothpaste/orangejuice poptart already

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I keep hearing this, but isn't James Mattis one of the most hard-edged people against Iran in the military? I remember him reading that he despises the Iranian government as a Marine because of their association with the deaths of hundreds of Marines in Lebanon during the Reagan years. It's amazing how that was allowed to happen under a Republican president where a Democrat would have been impeached and hung for allowing such a blunder to happen.
that's all true. Me saying he is probably the most sane doesn't mean that's he's good, but his comments on the Iran deal are very surprising.

"I've read it now three times … and I will say that it is written almost with an assumption that Iran would try to cheat," he told lawmakers.

"So the verification, what is in there, is actually pretty robust as far as our intrusive ability" for the International Atomic Energy Agency to check on whether Iran is complying.

"Whether or not that is sufficient, that is a valid question," Mattis added.
Mattis has said in the past that the deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, isn't perfect, but that staying in it would be in America's national security interest.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/385094-mattis-defends-iran-deal-as-trump-considers-withdrawal

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
A thought I've been having on this is, Putin ain't all that smart. Like yeah, he did all he could to get an ultra-nationalistic buffoon into the White House, and now that buffoon is playing right into Israel and Saudi Arabia's playbook to hurt Putin's friends.
The EU and China have to stand their ground on this. I'm sure other countries will as well.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017

There are few issues more important to the security of the United States than the potential spread of nuclear weapons, or the potential for even more destructive war in the Middle East. That's why the United States negotiated the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in the first place.

The reality is clear. The JCPOA is working – that is a view shared by our European allies, independent experts, and the current U.S. Secretary of Defense. The JCPOA is in America's interest – it has significantly rolled back Iran's nuclear program. And the JCPOA is a model for what diplomacy can accomplish – its inspections and verification regime is precisely what the United States should be working to put in place with North Korea. Indeed, at a time when we are all rooting for diplomacy with North Korea to succeed, walking away from the JCPOA risks losing a deal that accomplishes – with Iran – the very outcome that we are pursuing with the North Koreans.

That is why today's announcement is so misguided. Walking away from the JCPOA turns our back on America's closest allies, and an agreement that our country's leading diplomats, scientists, and intelligence professionals negotiated. In a democracy, there will always be changes in policies and priorities from one Administration to the next. But the consistent flouting of agreements that our country is a party to risks eroding America's credibility, and puts us at odds with the world's major powers.

Debates in our country should be informed by facts, especially debates that have proven to be divisive. So it's important to review several facts about the JCPOA.

First, the JCPOA was not just an agreement between my Administration and the Iranian government. After years of building an international coalition that could impose crippling sanctions on Iran, we reached the JCPOA together with the United Kingdom, France, Germany, the European Union, Russia, China, and Iran. It is a multilateral arms control deal, unanimously endorsed by a United Nations Security Council Resolution.

Second, the JCPOA has worked in rolling back Iran's nuclear program. For decades, Iran had steadily advanced its nuclear program, approaching the point where they could rapidly produce enough fissile material to build a bomb. The JCPOA put a lid on that breakout capacity. Since the JCPOA was implemented, Iran has destroyed the core of a reactor that could have produced weapons-grade plutonium; removed two-thirds of its centrifuges (over 13,000) and placed them under international monitoring; and eliminated 97 percent of its stockpile of enriched uranium – the raw materials necessary for a bomb. So by any measure, the JCPOA has imposed strict limitations on Iran's nuclear program and achieved real results.

Third, the JCPOA does not rely on trust – it is rooted in the most far-reaching inspections and verification regime ever negotiated in an arms control deal. Iran's nuclear facilities are strictly monitored. International monitors also have access to Iran's entire nuclear supply chain, so that we can catch them if they cheat. Without the JCPOA, this monitoring and inspections regime would go away.

Fourth, Iran is complying with the JCPOA. That was not simply the view of my Administration. The United States intelligence community has continued to find that Iran is meeting its responsibilities under the deal, and has reported as much to Congress. So have our closest allies, and the international agency responsible for verifying Iranian compliance – the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

Fifth, the JCPOA does not expire. The prohibition on Iran ever obtaining a nuclear weapon is permanent. Some of the most important and intrusive inspections codified by the JCPOA are permanent. Even as some of the provisions in the JCPOA do become less strict with time, this won't happen until ten, fifteen, twenty, or twenty-five years into the deal, so there is little reason to put those restrictions at risk today.

Finally, the JCPOA was never intended to solve all of our problems with Iran. We were clear-eyed that Iran engages in destabilizing behavior – including support for terrorism, and threats toward Israel and its neighbors. But that's precisely why it was so important that we prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. Every aspect of Iranian behavior that is troubling is far more dangerous if their nuclear program is unconstrained. Our ability to confront Iran's destabilizing behavior – and to sustain a unity of purpose with our allies – is strengthened with the JCPOA, and weakened without it.

Because of these facts, I believe that the decision to put the JCPOA at risk without any Iranian violation of the deal is a serious mistake. Without the JCPOA, the United States could eventually be left with a losing choice between a nuclear-armed Iran or another war in the Middle East. We all know the dangers of Iran obtaining a nuclear weapon. It could embolden an already dangerous regime; threaten our friends with destruction; pose unacceptable dangers to America's own security; and trigger an arms race in the world's most dangerous region. If the constraints on Iran's nuclear program under the JCPOA are lost, we could be hastening the day when we are faced with the choice between living with that threat, or going to war to prevent it.

In a dangerous world, America must be able to rely in part on strong, principled diplomacy to secure our country. We have been safer in the years since we achieved the JCPOA, thanks in part to the work of our diplomats, many members of Congress, and our allies. Going forward, I hope that Americans continue to speak out in support of the kind of strong, principled, fact-based, and unifying leadership that can best secure our country and uphold our responsibilities around the globe.

God damn, I miss Obama. Hell, I miss the president being able to speak in complete sentences.

Doing things out of spite isn't an agenda, it just makes you an asshole. Trump is such a god damned moron.

I'll never forget my mom talking to me about Trump. She's been in real estate for 40 years, and she said the thing that scared her the most about Trump was that he was in real estate. I thought that was a strange thing to say so I asked her to elaborate. She said "Real Estate people like Trump treat everything like a Zero sum game. Either you're getting the best deal ever, or you're getting screwed. That's how he's always operated and that's how he will operate in the White House". And she's right. Look at what he just pulled with Iran. The deal wasn't "good enogh", ergo, the US is getting screwed. Everything that he talks about he does so with words like "Disgrace", "Disaster", etc. Every deal has to be one sided to where America is getting the best and the other side is getting fucked.

Viewed through that lens it's not hard to see why Trump pulled out of the Iran Deal because in his mind it's one where the US doesn't get to fully stick it's dick in Iran's ass, so he views it as a loss. When you think about that "I'm getting a deal or I'm getting fucked over" mindset, it's kind of easy to see the world as Trump does. Then it dawns on you how fucking dangerous that mindset is. Compromise is surrender to a guy like Trump. And for someone like Trump who is SO ego driven, you can't compromise on anything, even if it's better for everyone.

I'm seriously worried about the world now because of people like him.

Last edited:

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017

Imagine Trump trying to write ANY of this.

Dilly

Oct 26, 2017
Lol what?

Even Republicans are saying he shouldnt have pulled out without reason. Stop making shit up. Its annoying as fuck.

You elect a head of state for a reason.

Somehow it's never the fault of America and its citizens.

You just keep sitting on your ass waiting for the blue wave, while your government actively fucks up the world.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You elect a head of state for a reason.

Somehow it's never the fault of America and its citizens.

You just keep sitting on your ass waiting for the blue wave, while your government actively fucks up the world.

We do what we can. The majority of Americans including myself voted for Clinton, but unfortunately our history of xenophobia and ignorance continuously undermines our progress.

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading that Obama message, so Trump and Bilbi just flat out lied, that's disgusting and irresponsible.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
The drop of quality of in our leadership is fucking staggering.

It's a god damn tragedy.