Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Likely an accident:

New thread for new news.

NBC said:
U.S. intelligence officials have evidence that suggests the Ukraine International Airlines jetliner that crashed in Iran on Wednesday, killing 176 people, was downed by an Iranian missile, multiple officials told NBC News.

An initial Iranian report released Thursday suggested a sudden emergency struck the Boeing 737 before it went down just moments after taking off from Imam Khomeini International Airport in Tehran. The report said the crew of the jetliner never made a radio call for help and were trying to turn back for the airport when the plane went down.

Investigators from Iran's Civil Aviation Organization have offered no immediate explanation for the disaster.

UPDATE: Canada/Trudeau corroborates report.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'll wait for someone independent like the french or germans to confirm before believing the one entitity that would gain from this and has been known to lie about stuff like this.

Oct 27, 2017
So this is what Trump was babbling about, questioning the explanation of mechanical failure. They must know more.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I'll wait for someone independent like the french or germans to confirm before believing the one entitity that would gain from this and has been known to lie about stuff like this.
Ironically, this would actually be an overall negative for the White House since they ratcheted up tensions that led to this accident and I believe no Americans died in the crash.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Ironically, this would actually be an overall negative for the White House since they ratcheted up tensions that led to this accident and I believe no Americans died in the crash.

I don't know that that's true, at least not here in the states. I think trump would use this as fuel to turn people against iran.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
what "officials". i want to know who exactly is confident about what.

if iran says they didnt do it, unless we have unbiased views, nobody trust anything

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm surprised the government or the airport didn't shut down the airspace above the city. I remember watching one foreign correspondent reporting from Tehran that evening and thinking it was weird that commercial planes were flying in the sky behind him.

Biggavell

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
Why would we trust what US intelligence officials say when this country is on the cusp of war with Iran? It could very well have been shot down, but we should hear from agencies outside of the US and Iran. Neither country's intelligence can be trusted at this stage.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Western media is gonna use this to drum up the war propaganda and present the US as the good guys and iran as the bad guys. No one outside the internet bubble is gonna blame the US for this.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Are these the same guys that lied about the imminent attack?
what "officials". i want to know who exactly is confident about what.

if iran says they didnt do it, unless we have unbiased views, nobody trust anything
Why would we trust what US intelligence officials say when this country is on the cusp of war with Iran? It could very well have been shot down, but we should hear from agencies outside of the US and Iran. Neither country's intelligence can be trusted at this stage.

Only sharing what credible news outlets are saying. I obviously can't independently confirm U.S. officials are being truthful.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like the ships that were sunk by Iran with little to no evidence? At this point I don't trust that they won't say whatever they want to justify Iran as the bad guys in this conflict.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah it's times like this our government should have been working towards having some integrity, credibility and trust and a reputation of reliability, rather than being ball boy lap dogs for a drug snorting incompetent.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When tensions are high, they shoot down planes similar in past. But what's the strategy here? Are they afraid it's carrying nukes? If spy plane, how much info can it gather that quickly where satellites wouldn't do better. Seems more rational to mobilize their own jet to meet up and confirm target.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iran tends to be pretty strategic about its attacks. To what end does shooting down a Ukranian plane achieve?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When tensions are high, they shoot down planes similar in past. But what's the strategy here? Are they afraid it's carrying nukes? If spy plane, how much info can it gather that quickly where satellites wouldn't do better. Seems more rational to mobilize their own jet to meet up and confirm target.
If this were to be true, it's simply a gigantic horrible fuckup on Iran's part, probably due to automated systems without any manual interaction.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked. It's a tragedy regardless, rest in peace to all the lives lost

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Trust the Trump administration and those working under them as far as I can trow them.
Gonna wait for some credible evidence or at least different countries reports.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Iran could easily dismiss this if they released the CVR/FDR't they recovered but they won't.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is a big claim. I'll wait for more than this before giving it any credence.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Massive unforced error if true. Iran won't be helping it's image if this happened by their own hand.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry state of affairs when no one trusts US intelligence. I thought that the timing was a little suspicious given that the 747 crashed at the exact same time that Iran fired all those missiles at US targets. I assume it's just sheer incompetence on the part of Iran's military because the majority of civilians who died in the crash were Iranian.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Would explain the video of the plane with a flash before a rapid descent. I thought the missiles had already finished firing though? If the plane was targeted specifically then I'm not sure why Iran would do that. Nothing to gain, bar the low chance of pissing off America's allies for 'causing' the deaths of their citizens by instigating this whole mess.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*video of flaming aircraft crashing into the ground*

"it's just a coincidence, relax, planes crash all the time"

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Give the intelligence to the french or germans and if they confirm i'll believe it.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
Mistakes happen when you ratchet up the war hawks and tensions rise, who'dda thought it! :/

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to trust anything either country claim. Hand it off to another country. The US is just not trustworthy.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
People not believing this is disturbed. Some people in the other thread were theorizing about the different types of engine failure. It happened during a bombardment mind you, what a bizarre coincidence that would have been.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't trust 'US officials' as far as I can toss them. I'll wait for trusted governments not run by orange morons to chime in.

Oct 25, 2017
Would explain the video of the plane with a flash before a rapid descent. I thought the missiles had already finished firing though? If the plane was targeted specifically then I'm not sure why Iran would do that. Nothing to gain, bar the low chance of pissing off America's allies for 'causing' the deaths of their citizens by instigating this whole mess.

Iran's air defenses would have been on high alert looking for retaliation. It's plausible that someone accidentally read the plane as an incoming threat.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Trump is proud of himself. 176 people who didn't need to die. And probably many more if this situation keeps escalating.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Like, on purpose? Or did one of their missiles fuck up? I struggle to think of why they would do this except accidentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.