Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
www.google.com

Tyre Extinguishers ‘disarm’ 100 Edinburgh 4x4s in one night

A spokesperson said the “scale of disarmament” is an underestimate, as not all Tyre Extinguisher groups have been in touch

The environmental activist group known as Tyre Extinguishers struck around 100 luxury SUVs in Edinburgh early this morning.

A team of at least three Tyre Extinguishers, a loose affiliation of demonstrators who let down tyres on gas-guzzling 4x4s to protest the pollution they emit, hit vehicles in the New Town, Marchmont and Hillside areas.

The direct action protesters say large vehicles are a disaster for the planet because they cause greenhouse gas emissions, health problems from air pollution, and danger on the roads.

The Tyre Extinguishers have hit New Town before and said "we'll be back" after finding so many SUVs they ran out of leaflets, according to a statement released by the group.

"Edinburgh is a small city with good public transport. Nobody living in the centre of town needs to own one of these death machines."

Superintendent Mark Rennie of Police Scotland said: "We have received a number of reports of vehicle tyres being deliberately deflated in the Edinburgh area. This is a reckless and potentially dangerous act which could put drivers and road users at risk.

Isn't time SUVs get banned? They are by far the worst method of transport for harmful pollution yet continue to sell more and more. For people in public office to talk about greener cities yet they seem to have no issues with more and more SUVs on the roads is ridiculous.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yes, causing the owners to drive around even more to fix their low tires is a great idea. I'm sure they will all get so annoyed they sell their SUVs the next day. This is like some high school level shit. Stupid

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I was just reading a piece about the rise and fall of ELF and "direct action" environmental terrorism, and I think we're going to see a new resurgence of that in the next couple of decades

OP
OP
Puroresu_kid

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sweet, sounds nice to damage people's property.

It is criminal damage but wouldn't be necessary if government did something about SUVs on the road.

You have ridiculous suv drivers in boroughs like Kensington in London who drive 10 mins in a suv to drop kids off at school.

As I asked originally isn't it time we saw action to drive down the usage of suvs or do we just continue to allow these harmful polluters access the roads as sales are not slowing down.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
One of these people is going to get their ass kicked for this some night.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
www.google.com

Tyre Extinguishers ‘disarm’ 100 Edinburgh 4x4s in one night

A spokesperson said the “scale of disarmament” is an underestimate, as not all Tyre Extinguisher groups have been in touch

Isn't time SUVs get banned? They are by far the worst method of transport for harmful pollution yet continue to sell more and more. For people in public office to talk about greener cities yet they seem to have no issues with more and more SUVs on the roads is ridiculous.

I think I remember seeing an article a while ago about the need to get bigger and bigger cars leading to accidents being more likely to be fatal against pedestrians because they are more likely to end up going under the car than a smaller car. So technically they are more likely to be "killing machines".

Don't really think deflating tires is the way to go about getting rid of them though.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, another 400 or so tires to end up in a landfill somewhere

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It is criminal damage but wouldn't be necessary if government did something about SUVs on the road.

You have ridiculous suv drivers in boroughs like Kensington in London who drive 10 mins in a suv to drop kids off at school.
Then get the government to do something. This won't do that. And it's the kinda thing that will make SUV owners dig in their heels. It's misguided and childish.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
This could put people in serious danger since surprise most people don't walk around the car to see if all the tires are inflated. The action of removing SUVs from the road should come from government regulation and not from shitty vigilantes. Besides, like how effective is this going to be if you make someone late to work? I think it will have an opposite affect if anything. No one loves self righteous people.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, a classic action that will cause more pollution and accidents.

Stay classy lol

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

As opposed to what? A vehicle that gets marginally better mpg driving ten times as much every day? What is the threshold? Who decides?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
This seems unlikely to change peoples' minds, and potentially counter-productive. The thought process is unlikely to be "Wow, for my next vehicle I should pay closer attention to my impact on the planet and maybe choose something more efficient," it's going to be "wow, those 'green' people are crazy."

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
No sympathy for the SUV owners, but I just don't think this will be very effective. I can understand the frustration that makes people turn to this type of activism, though.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. SUVs are bad and the people driving them should feel bad. Don't @ me :D

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Like, I'm not hating on the message they are going for but the act is extremely shitty. What if someone had an emergency and needed their vehicle? Your fucking with lives by eliminating transportation without them knowing. Fuck these people.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
People are tsk tsking this but honestly the fact that trucks modified to roll coal aren't targeted for destruction on sight by the public is a goddamn shame. There are some things that just should not exist.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Shit like this is where the left loses me. Fuck that and fuck them.

No authority but they deem themselves arbiters of who gets to own what. You want to change the rules, then fucking convince people to vote your way. You don't get to destroy someone's property cause you say so. That's not how it works.

This is the left's version of rollin' coal… It accomplishes nothing. Just makes "your side" that supports this look like assholes.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Risking an ass kicking for causing a minor inconvenience? These people sound smart.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Police have released an image of the possible suspect:

night-moves-1.png

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I think SUVs should be allowed, but they should be massively taxed to offset their negative societal impact.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Notice they keep doing this in the richest area of the new town. There's plenty of SUV's parked in Niddrie, Leith, and Western Hailes but I doubt we'll them doing this in those areas.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
What a bunch of assholes that are doing nothing but inconveniencing random people.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I'm conflicted. I hate SUV's with a passion and these people are right, but yeah…

To make matters worse, completely deflating a tire can damage it, further adding to needless waste if it needs to be replaced.

Though I will admit, other avenues of action are proving equally pointless.

GraGor

Nov 17, 2017
Pointless vandalism that won't help their cause. What if one of those car owners had an emergency? Fucking idiots.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so they're just letting air out of tires? That's it or they actually cutting tires? I bought portable air pumps for both our cars as gas stations here charge for air pump use

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I'm not hating on the message they are going for but the act is extremely shitty. What if someone had an emergency and needed their vehicle? Your fucking with lives by eliminating transportation without them knowing. Fuck these people.

Call a taxi or ambulance.

What about x, y and z. There are infinite justifications for indifference and choosing convenience over action.

This act doesn't change anything obviously but it gets people to talk, think and get angry instead of absentmindedly doing whatever they did without much thought about the impact of their personal contributions.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Article is paywalled. Are they slashing the tires/destroying them, or letting the air out? If they're letting air out, that's annoying, but at least not destroying property... it could destroy property for people driving on flat tires unknowingly, but assuming most notice it quickly a minor inconvenience, 3-4 mins using an air compressor.

This makes some noise, but I haven't seen any evidence if vandalism or destroying property makes someone change their habits. Incentives usually work to curb behavior, disincentives essentially always fail.

In any event I doubt this changes anything, but maybe the tyre militia, or whatever, get some meaning in their lives.

Last edited:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Shit like this is where the left loses me. Fuck that and fuck them.

No authority but they deem themselves arbiters of who gets to own what. You want to change the rules, then fucking convince people to vote your way. You don't get to destroy someone's property cause you say so. That's not how it works.

This is the left's version of rollin' coal… It accomplishes nothing. Just makes "your side" that supports this look like assholes.
Yeah. I try to be good to the environment. I recycle, I conserve water, I conserve electricity, I don't waste food, I never litter, I even spent countless weeks and months and planted a huge pollinator garden in my yard to host bees and other insects that are necessary for global food production.

We also drive an SUV because we have three kids and need it for transport. This would just piss me off to be honest.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Call a taxi.

What about x, y and z. There are infinite justifications for indifference and choosing convenience over action.

No justification to go around destroying cars. There's also infinite justification to just fucking up other people's shit. So why stop there? Why not destroy air conditioners, central air systems, computers all other shit contributing to the problem?

Where you think those metals in your phone come from? Time to snatch and smash. For the greater good!

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't more and more SUV models coming out these days Hybrid or Electric models?