Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
What good are face coverings when they are so close together anyway? The stupidity is insane.
A Great Clips hair salon in Springfield, Missouri, has become a potential hot spot of COVID-19 transmission after two hairstylists came into work while symptomatic, potentially exposing more than 140 people to the virus, according to local officials.

Springfield-Greene County Health Department director Clay Goddard said at a press conference Friday that a Great Clips stylist worked on eight days between May 12 and May 20, during which the stylist came into contact with 84 clients and seven coworkers while showing symptoms.

On Saturday, the health department said in a statement that a second stylist had tested positive for the coronavirus and may have exposed an additional 56 clients. The stylist experienced "very mild symptoms" over five days between May 16 and Mat 29 but was deemed "potentially infectious" by the health department.

"The individual and their clients were wearing face coverings," the statement said.

Customers and employees who were potentially exposed will be notified and offered testing, but those who did not have close contact with the stylist are believed to be at "very low risk" of contracting the virus.

At Friday's press conference, Springfield-Greene County Health Department director Clay Goddard said that he was "very frustrated" and "disappointed" by the new outbreak as the state begins to reopen.

"We can't have many more of these," he said. "We can't make this a regular habit or our capability as a community will be strained and we will have to re-evaluate what things look like going forward."

www.businessinsider.com

Two hairstylists in Missouri may have exposed more than 140 clients to the coronavirus, health officials say

The stylists worked at a Great Clips hair salon in Springfield, Missouri, between May 12 and May 20 while symptomatic.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. Jail time, a fine, community service - and permanent ban from holding a business license.

We really need to explain simply how the virus spreads and how masks work though. Washing your hands and wearing a mask does not grant you immunity.

We have members on this forum that got a haircut this month and used the 'but we both wore masks' defense.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
"We can't have many more of these," he said. "We can't make this a regular habit or our capability as a community will be strained and we will have to re-evaluate what things look like going forward."
Then don't re-open.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, the article says this as well:

Officials are offering testing for those who were "directly exposed" to the hairstylist, though the stylist, clients, and coworkers all wore masks during the appointments.

Hopefully it helped.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I had this conversation with friends about how at least this reinforces the "stay home if you are even a little sick" that happened but quickly waned after SARS previously... but the problem is people need money.

If the country took its head out of its ass and mandated sick pay maybe we would have less of this.

Oct 27, 2017
You cannot depend on businesses or individuals to do the right thing. It is why we have laws. The pandemic is showing how frail the US is. We have thirty percent of the nation believing a pandemic is a hoax to take down Trump. This chasm between prideful, selfish ignorance and the rest is something I don't think can be repaired. It's a festering problem that won't do away even if Biden wins.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are desperate for the money, shutting down businesses on a situation-by-situation basis in lieu of actual legislation addressing things like paid sick leave is like killing individual ants with a hammer.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
My wife is a hairstylist and terrified to go back. We're holding out as long as we can but my income can only carry us so far. At least we know that if she even has the sniffles her ass is canceling her clients that day and the next AT LEAST until it's confirmed what she has. Our biggest worry is a client of hers doing this, (coming in sick because they don't want to reschedule), her client base is pretty responsible though and the response to her continued delays in opening has been 100% positive. This shit just sucks all the way around. It's incredibly risky to get your hair done because of the virus, and on the flip side stylists, barbers and their establishments have their backs against the wall financially. Still though, if you're sick, it doesn't matter how much money you'll lose. Not worth it to potentially put someone in the hospital.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My wife is a hairstylist and terrified to go back. We're holding out as long as we can but my income can only carry us so far. At least we know that if she even has the sniffles her ass is canceling her clients that day and the next AT LEAST until it's confirmed what she has. Our biggest worry is a client of hers doing this, (coming in sick because they don't want to reschedule), her client base is pretty responsible though and the response to her continued delays in opening has been 100% positive. This shit just sucks all the way around. It's incredibly risky to get your hair done because of the virus, and on the flip side stylists, barbers and their establishments have their backs against the wall financially. Still though, if you're sick, it doesn't matter how much money you'll lose. Not worth it to potentially put someone in the hospital.

The situation is scary. My gf does eyebrows and she's apparently going to start working on the 31st. To make matters worse, her boss is one of those people who watches Alex Jones type stuff and went to a few of the anti-quarantine protests. I've seen the type of stuff she writes and it's all crazy ass conspiracy stuff. Muh freedom.

So not only do I have to worry about potential clients of hers I also have to worry about her idiot boss being an idiot. It's terrible all around

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, you should be more worried about your wife's potentially asymptomatic clients than the ones who might be visibly sick.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god. Didn't another state just have this same issue? You'd think this would be common sense. Wearing a mask or not if you are that damn close to someone you are still going have a high chance of spreading it. Now those 140 may have been spreading that shit to who knows how many people. Come on!

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Missouri, Missouri, Missouri
That's what you've chosen...

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wearing my scruffy hair with pride cuz I'm not stepping foot into a barber shop yet, especially with so many assholes flaunting their "freedom"

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That's why I don't get why some people are so jazzed for stores to open back up. Do it wrong, you get this. Do it right, it's a slow, miserable experience. And obviously you wanna do it right.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Jail time, a fine, community service - and permanent ban from holding a business license.

We really need to explain simply how the virus spreads and how masks work though. Washing your hands and wearing a mask does not grant you immunity.

We have members on this forum that got a haircut this month and used the 'but we both wore masks' defense.

Did they violate any of the rules and regulations in place?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
This sucks. I understand it's easy to shit on people for doing stupid stuff like this. But pls have some empathy. This is what potentially happens without a real safety net for workers/people right now. They may feel like they have no choice when they just need money for food/rent to survive.

It's shitty and again, blame Republicans for giving us the current socio-economic circumstances that people are grappling with and instilling this mindset in people.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.

No, no, and no. Jesus why do people keep wanting to jail people that don't have a choice but to work. If our safety net wasn't so shit in the US we wouldn't have the problem of people wanting to work through the pandemic. I hope you know what you just said condemns this woman to poverty, at best, for doing something states actively WANT her to do.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
This sucks. I understand it's easy to shit on people for doing stupid stuff like this. But this is what potentially happens without a real safety net for workers/people right now. They may feel like they have no choice when they just need money for food/rent to survive.
Bingo. Especially when Missouri is among the states that will pull your unemployment benefits of you are called back to work and don't go.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

This is a corporate chain barbershop. are you suggesting the workers that are probably following their DM/corporate directions are at fault here?

Oct 25, 2017
A few of my acquaintances who seemed to be on the same page as me for social distancing have been going to hair and nail salons lately. I'm not sure what they're thinking. You basically have your face 10 inches away from someone else's face for half an hour, and it's someone who has been 10 inches from another 30 people's faces in the past day.

It just seems like a way outsized risk for something that isn't really essential at all.

I feel bad for everyone who relies on cutting hair for their income but it just seems like one of the last places you'd want to be during this type of pandemic.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I had this conversation with friends about how at least this reinforces the "stay home if you are even a little sick" that happened but quickly waned after SARS previously... but the problem is people need money.

If the country took its head out of its ass and mandated sick pay maybe we would have less of this.

YEp... when this started I was secretly ranting as I heard a co worker tell some one she had tested negative and was relieved. Yeah, she was negative but that means she was worried she had it and she still was coming to work (I know she needs the money so I know that's why). So if she does get it, she will definitely be spreading it to all of us since she obviously sees nothing wrong with coming in even when she suspects she might have it!

It doesn't help that no one in my store wears a mask (well, there is one section that does but they are owned by a different company. And they are a business that deals with medical stuff so they are definitely more aware of the dangers).

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
A reminder:. Most stylists draw no salary and have to pay rent on their booth in a salon. If the salon opens the stylists are being charged rent even if they are staying home/sick/etc.

Combine this with the nightmare that many people are still facing when trying to register for unemployment benefits and you desperate people who are just trying to feed their families and/or pay their rent or mortgage.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I don't get why some people are so jazzed for stores to open back up. Do it wrong, you get this. Do it right, it's a slow, miserable experience. And obviously you wanna do it right.
The problem is that we don't have the resources in this country to do it right. If we are not going to forcibly make the country stay inside for 2 months then we need multiple tests for every individual in this country, EVERYDAY. feasibly there is no way to do it right, there are just several degrees of avoiding the worst possible outcome. Using sports as an example, even a bubble league is susceptible because as soon as a player, coach, or any support staff that directly interact with players gets it, it's over. If any player, coach, staff, etc. leaves quarantine they cannot play unless they pass two negative tests. Leagues will require testing for the duration of a season every week up until a vaccine is released, and even on a weekly basis this is dubious because the incubation period is up to 14 days. It only takes one person to fuck up.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I quite literally was going to get a haircut yesterday as I work in a professional setting and can't be wearing my shaggy hair for too much longer. Plus it's hot and I have super thick hair so I spoke to my wife and we agreed to do some research on how my usual place will conduct business. Basically not allowing people to wait inside, employees have temp checks each time they start, everyone wears masks, place is disinfected regularly. So all of that sounded good.

Then it was close for me to leave the house and I just had this bad anxiety just rush over me. I didn't go. I know that for as long as there's no vaccine life will have to find a way to continue, but for right now I don't want to be in close proximity with a stranger for longer than necessary if I can help it.

Ended up watching some YT videos and bought a pair of clippers online to cut my own hair.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I quite literally was going to get a haircut yesterday as I work in a professional setting and can't be wearing my shaggy hair for too much longer. Plus it's hot and I have super thick hair so I spoke to my wife and we agreed to do some research on how my usual place will conduct business. Basically not allowing people to wait inside, employees have temp checks each time they start, everyone wears masks, place is disinfected regularly. So all of that sounded good.

Then it was close for me to leave the house and I just had this bad anxiety just rush over me. I didn't go. I know that for as long as there's no vaccine life will have to find a way to continue, but for right now I don't want to be in close proximity with a stranger for longer than necessary if I can help it.

Ended up watching some YT videos and bought a pair of clippers online to cut my own hair.

You made the right call.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
face shields plus face masks, then full body PPE should be required

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

Not going will always be safer, so if you felt uneasy actually going you made the right call.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
A reminder:. Most stylists draw no salary and have to pay rent on their booth in a salon. If the salon opens the stylists are being charged rent even if they are staying home/sick/etc.

Combine this with the nightmare that many people are still facing when trying to register for unemployment benefits and you desperate people who are just trying to feed their families and/or pay their rent or mortgage.

I believe in Missouri you're not eligible for unemployment if you refuse to go back to work.

And I'm guessing the sick leave policy isn't great.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Condemning people for doing anything they can to feed their families when there is no other safety net and both the state and their employers are *encouraging* them to go back. Have some empathy.

It sucks. It's bullshit. It's a shitty situation. But I can at least rationalize what these folk are doing.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
It's a little comforting that they were wearing face coverings. But being in such close proximity with a person while symptomatic is just outright reckless.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
This is scary! Happy I got my boyfriend to just buzz my hair for me instead, I just don't see myself going to a hair stylist anytime soon, especially in Missouri, but kudos to those who are being forced to work and are doing everything they are supposed to do (like those mentioned here, hopefully their masks helped them from spreading it to those they worked on).

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
A telling set of data points would be if it was publicly revealed how many of those additionally exposed actually contracted the virus and/or became symptomatic. I doubt this will happen but it would be interesting to know.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like people are forgetting that this thing is still super contagious and there's still no vaccine.

I get the rush to return to normalcy, but we need to be smart about it. It seems some are completely forgetting that the virus exists. And the idiot in chief is setting a horrible example.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
It would absolutely suck to have to make the decision between stay home potentially lose your home, not be able to feed yourself, or have to go to work and catch/spread covid-19.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people are forgetting that this thing is still super contagious and there's still no vaccine.

I get the rush to return to normalcy, but we need to be smart about it. It seems some are completely forgetting that the virus exists. And the idiot in chief is setting a horrible example.
Yep I dont get it people going to these places and the shop chain opening these place knowing too much stupidity. Of course the biggest assholes of them all is the government. What a complete mess.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My wife has cut my hair twice now since Washington closed down in March. She's done a great job. I can't imagine going to a salon for a while.