DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
This is just me ranting and rambling and I'm sorry, but I need to get this out there to people besides friends, because I've complained to them enough at this point.

I've posted in the past before about moving. I currently live in a middle of nowhere rural Texas town, and am set to move to Rochester, Minnesota. Really excited. I was doing so by selling the land I inherited after the person who raised me, my great grandmother, passed back in 2017.

That was going mostly smoothly...until the final steps. The title company seems to have an objection due to the possibility of the original owner of this land, my great grandfather, having kids that they can't confirm or deny have heirship to the land.

They had a legal battle with my great grandmother back in 2010 after their dad/her husband passed, because there was no will and they both felt they had claim to the land. The court ultimately gave it to her, not the kids, and we hadn't heard about them in the 14 years since.

But for reasons I can't know, my grandmother didn't keep the papers proving that the courts did that...so despite the house being in her name from 2010-2017 when she passed, and a verified will passing it to me...the title company doesn't consider it good enough. My realtor is trying to do everything she can to get it solved, but we don't know how long it's going to take, and I have an apartment lined up in MN that I need to pay rent on come the end of the month. I secured and leased this apartment when I did because I was assured it would not take longer than October 11th...but clearly things changed.

So I'm currently left here. I'm unable to start my new life, but my old life has all either been packed away or sold in order to make ends meet until I am moved. I have a vision disability, and no reliable public transit so can't work while I'm here. All my friends are busy leading their lives. All my family are both busy and frankly uncaring towards me.

I'm just left sitting alone, stewing with nothing to do but sit around, and panic about the immediate future. I'm so close to finally being out and able to start my life but I'm also stuck at the last step, and am going insane waiting.

TLDR: My move hit a roadblock and I'm going crazy for things to move again.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If there was a lawyer that your grandmother used, they might still have a copy of those records. It might be worth reaching out and checking.

May 21, 2019
No, those were her daughter, my Aunt. As I was 16 at the time of her passing.

She also held the land until I became an adult.
I see. I remember when my grandma passed, my dad had to take care of everything and family I didn't even know I had were coming out of the woodworks to get something. Meanwhile my dad and I had been taking care of her for years, I spent a lot of time at home making sure she had what she needed and took her meds.

It's a tough situation, is it tenable for you to be paying rent while also dealing with the estate in Texas? Not really sure I have good advice for the situation.

OP
OP
DarthKamen

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
I see. I remember when my grandma passed, my dad had to take care of everything and family I didn't even know I had were coming out of the woodworks to get something. Meanwhile my dad and I had been taking care of her for years, I spent a lot of time at home making sure she had what she needed and took her meds.

It's a tough situation, is it tenable for you to be paying rent while also dealing with the estate in Texas? Not really sure I have good advice for the situation.
Unfortunately not. The initial rent payment is rather high die to lack of income history, and poor credit. And I currently have no way of getting to MN, or getting utilities turned on.

May 21, 2019
Unfortunately not. The initial rent payment is rather high die to lack of income history, and poor credit. And I currently have no way of getting to MN, or getting utilities turned on.
It sounds like you have to make a choice, I mean you can't afford to pay the rent and you have to stay where you are. You shouldn't over extend your finances if you can help it.

OP
OP
DarthKamen

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
It sounds like you have to make a choice, I mean you can't afford to pay the rent and you have to stay where you are. You shouldn't over extend your finances if you can help it.
Yeah...I just really hate the idea of breaking the lease. I feel like that will really damage my ability to rent even more in the future.

I can't afford to leave but I also can't afford to stay.

OP
OP
DarthKamen

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
And I was officially given the update today that we will need to go to court over this ownership matter. I will not be moving this month, the apartment I secured will be lost, likely with the money I already put towards it, and I will be stuck here still unable to work or earn money to eat.

I honestly just feel like dying at this point.

May 21, 2019
Texas has a department of visual services right? My mom works for the OK DVS. They offer a ton of opportunities and help, but I'm not sure how it works in TX.

itsyaboymin

Aug 8, 2024
"All my friends are busy" I assure you, if you have friends, one of them would enthusiastically help you in this unique situation.

May 21, 2019
It is definitely worth a shot, I kinda grew up seeing how the agency works. I don't know how TX works, but they should be able to do something.

OP
OP
DarthKamen

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
One short ban, and my entire world turns upside down.

I woke up this morning to the home I was staying in being repossessed, having to scramble to get all my stuff out. Sadly lost some personal belongings like a book, some kitchen equipment...and almost all my clothes. My family all basically told me to kick rocks, and told me to call homeless shelters. My Aunt REALLY wanted to drive in that I was homeless, and belonged in a shelter. I also had a big fight with her and she yelled at me because I forgot a pillow in her car.

My "co-owners" to the house came forward, one of them wants to buy it, and it will seemingly be done next week.

And my realtor was a lifesaver and offered to put me up in a hotel for a week, and gave me some food money. And refused the offer for me to pay her back. I'm beyond grateful, and am determined to do something to repay her.