• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Kim Jong Un wants to look like a serious leader and Trump wants to look like he's actually doing anything with his presidency.

They're two manchildren that wanna look like they're big boys and SK and Japan are just more than happy to butter them up to avoid a global tantrum. That anyone could actually think Trump has something even remotely resembling a strategy regarding foreign affairs is mindblowing.

I honestly don't care what the motive is, if it turns back the doomsday clock by even a few seconds I'm all for it.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
NOT SO FAST ACTUALLY

Lmao

President Trump just announced he will be meeting Kim Jong Un in the coming weeks! History is about to be made, and Trump is on the way of bringing peace despite so many people doubting him.

Will be interesting to see how people are going to play it down like its no big deal. South Koreas Moon already credited Trump for most of the peace talks between the nations.

This is breaking and saw it on CNN so no source yet, will post article once available

OP pls I'd love your take on how Trump undermining the Iran deal will increase North Korean willingness to bargain away their nukes

Last edited:

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I have to ask, how do I fix tweets not displaying properly (as in not at all, only "Loading Tweet...") in my browser on ERA??

If this really happens it will be so weird, given how they insulted each other before. And it already was so surreal seeingpictures of Kim with Xi shaking hand as if everything was normal.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So my understanding over time is that isn't this playing into what North Korea wants? They want to spin the angle they are just as big and as serious as the United States and other countries, to demonstrate to the unfortunate brainwashed people of North Korea they are a power to be reckoned with and on top of the world and that other countries fear them, but they are a kind country that will promote and create peace?

I know multiple presidents back have had an offer for meeting but most haven't done it due to the consequences of meeting them and what that signifies, so isn't this just America playing right into North Korea's hands? Not to even mention North Korea broke our previous treaty with them?

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
So my understanding over time is that isn't this playing into what North Korea wants? They want to spin the angle they are just as big and as serious as the United States and other countries, to demonstrate to the unfortunate brainwashed people of North Korea they are a power to be reckoned with and on top of the world and that other countries fear them, but they are a kind country that will promote and create peace?

I know multiple presidents back have had an offer for meeting but most haven't done it due to the consequences of meeting them and what that signifies, so isn't this just America playing right into North Korea's hands? Not to even mention North Korea broke our previous treaty with them?
It's "normalizing a dictatorship with concentration camps" vs "deescalating and working towards peace" more or less.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's "normalizing a dictatorship with concentration camps" vs "deescalating and working towards peace" more or less.

Both of those statements are wrong.

In the best possible scenario, even 'if' something should happen it will be a temporary pause so both gain face. That is all.

It will just be a breather to allow everyone to regroup.

The US is against China and Russia, NK is simply a pawn to use. The US will not win a war against those odds.

(My opinion anyway)

OP
OP

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dear OP,

I hope you step on a LEGO.
Why? Because I'm excited that we might be a step closer to restoring peace in a region of the world? Some of you guys are the definition of selfishness and evil hoping for this not to happen only because you dont want Trump to go down in history books like that

Nov 27, 2017
User Warned: Trolling + Inflammatory Generalizations
Holy hell guys why the pile on the OP and others? Thats exactly how the left scares the right, repelling each other into eternity and causing a bigger rift. The guy likes Trump, and most of us hate the orange bastard, etc. Etc, but we need to stop piling on people like that in these forums. Neither of the apparent Trump supporters here have attacked anyone else, and they are getting shit on just because they don't believe in what you believe. The merits of which side is better doesn't come into play here. I see the mods have warned some users but damn....so disappointing to read and see the attitude of some people. Not the first time I've seen that in here.

You don't get it. Since everyone who even remotely supports anything trump does is a secret fucking nazi, they know to keep quiet so not to expose themselves. The plan is to pretend to be normal people with different political views and once you befriend them or gain their trust, they swoop in, take out the swastika and start arranging the next clan meeting.

Trump supporters are evil peices of shit. Sub human you may say. Once you dehumanise them you don't need to think about it anymore. Peace out

Last edited:

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
This is the exact opposite of a "win". This is exactly what NK wants, they have been trying to meet with the president of the united states for decades. Meeting with them legitimizes them as "on the same level" as other world powers. That's a farce.

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Because I'm excited that we might be a step closer to restoring peace in a region of the world? Some of you guys are the definition of selfishness and evil hoping for this not to happen only because you dont want Trump to go down in history books like that

If you're excited about anything to do with Trump you need to check yourself. The guy is seriously incompetent and has no clue what he is doing and is petty to a fault - just take a look at why he ran in the first place.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
You don't get it. Since everyone who even remotely supports anything trump does is a secret fucking nazi, they know to keep quiet so not to expose themselves. The plan is to pretend to be normal people with different political views and once you befriend them or gain their trust, they swoop in, take out the swastika and start arranging the next clan meeting.

Trump supporters are evil peices of shit. Sub human you may say. Once you dehumanise them you don't need to think about it anymore. Peace out

The normalization of racism, as evidenced by the shitty "both sides!!" Charlottesville argument, the "rapist" Mexican comments, the "breeding" statement the other day, isn't really something to joke about.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017
Th normalization of racism, as evidenced by the shitty "both sides!!" Charlottesville argument, the "rapist" Mexican comments, the "breeding" statement the other day, isn't really something to joke about.

Who is joking? The other poster was asking why people dog pile on people who say anything remotely positive about trump. The reason they dog pile on supporters is because they are homophobic, racist, xenophobic, antisemetic, islamophobic, sexist, transphobic, anti science, pro-guns, anti-abortion and they are all fucking nazis aswell on top of all that!

My point is when you are dealing with someone who supports trump, you are dealing with a literal peice of shit nazi and you shut that shit down.

Oct 27, 2017
The Trump hate on this forum is ridiculous....some of you need help. This meeting could be a great thing and stabilize a potentially horrible situation. It would be a win for everyone, regardless of who was president.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is kinda bad that this meeting could legitimaze a dictatorship thought, albeit will not be the first time of the USA doing that

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The Trump hate on this forum is ridiculous....some of you need help. This meeting could be a great thing and stabilize a potentially horrible situation. It would be a win for everyone, regardless of who was president.
No the Trump hate is perfectly porportional. He really is that bad. There is a Trump thread everyday explaining why, and I'm not going to go through a list because I shouldn't have to at this point, between the people he hires and his daily twitter rants.

Now that said, yes, it seems like people would rather see Trump fail than him get a win even at the cost of peace which I feel is wrong.

But, I feel it's mostly out of defensiveness and frustration. The people praising Trump in this thread or on the topic in general are mostly absent in every thread where Trump does something negative. But here they are telling people that if they hate Trump they need to get professional help. Nah. People have every right to think Trump will screw this up based on history, it's people that are assuming the best like Trump has no history, that need to take pause.

So yeah it's frustrating to see people that stay silent over the shit, but get loud when something good may happen. I'd like to think that most people in here would prefer the peace over a Trump loss, it's just the defense of Trump that is bringing out the worst in them at this moment.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
This is the answer to "Because I'm excited that we might be a step closer to restoring peace in a region of the world?". Let that sink in. One of the saddest things I've read in a long time
The concern is that this situation is much more likely to go wrong since we don't have a competent diplomat in the driver's seat here. It's hard not to be cynical about this when someone like Trump is our representative in these talks

MrCheez

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This is the answer to "Because I'm excited that we might be a step closer to restoring peace in a region of the world?". Let that sink in. One of the saddest things I've read in a long time

You really don't understand the skepticism when it comes to the actions of a President as demonstrably corrupt and illegitimate as Trump? Everything he does has been shown to be self-servicing and almost always against the best interest of the American people. Pretty reasonable to expect that to continue.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm going to assume that you're relatively young and that this is your first real go around with North Korea, as, while the magnitude of the events that are occurring are unusual, there's nothing so far that indicates that this isn't par for the course to how they operate.

Since the Korean War, North Korea has had decades of saver rattling and then making 'concessions' in exchange for sanctions being lifted and/or aid.

The difference this time would be the degree of this particular theatre under Un, as well as China applying greater pressure, but your sentiment has been exploited for generations as North Korea has never, yet, acted in good faith.

'Kim is committed to complete denuclearization', why? After having just essentially achieved the nuclear goal that was key to the countries long term survival via deteremce, why would they say this now?

Maybe it's because there's a lunatic in the whitehouse (NK has had secret back channels with the CIA since Trump got elected to try and understand him better, FYI) and them having nukes is actually more dangerous in the short term.

So the likely calculus becomes 'pretend to show willingness to meet every demand, getting massive (immediate!) wins on sanctions/trade/PR from the US, SK, and China and run out the clock on Trump since actually agreeing on anything, let alone full implementation, will take years'.

Trump is gone, NK walks back terms after getting 'hung up' on a term of the deal that they had previously agreed to, and even if China reinstitutes their own sanctions, NK has nukes (secretly stored away or the knowledge of how to make them quickly) and is in an overall much better position than they used to be.

It's possible that Kim has killed enough rivals that he is on actual control, and maybe he has said 'I don't want to play this game until I'm dead like dad and grandpa', but you're talking about the guy who had his own family members assassinated, there are no safe bets even if his actions were caused by the machine and culture he inherented.

Maybe China has decided that the age of direct warfare has come to an end so much that they no longer need to direct deterrent in Korea as the US crumbles, it's possible but there are so many unknowns at the moment that no development in this current scenario 'turns back the doomsday clock' until it has been proven for years afterwards to not be a part of the same cycle.

You entwined Trump cheerleading to the still very shaky development that's why people are giving you the side eye. Trump is not a rational actor, so being excited about this is premature, especially given the history.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Really? Trump being Trump this could go either way and actually make things worse. His character and behaviour are erratic, he's petty to a fault. This meeting should actually make you nervous.

Maybe the two of them will get on like a house on fire or maybe they will set the house on fire. Who the fuck knows.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

OP, do you remember your thread on this:

I know the majority of people on ResetERA hate Trump (I don't blame them), but would your opinion on Trump change if he passed laws to strengthen gun control? Lets say he does the following:

-Bans AR-15s
-Closes the gun show loopholes
-Enforces improved background check for every gun type
-Extends waiting periods

How would you opinion on Trump change if the above happens?

Not saying this will or could happen, this is all hypothetical. I've read that 18 years ago he wrote in a book "I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun."

Whats your take on it?

This DID not happen. He folded on that and did the bare fucking minimum of going after bump stocks that should've been banned in the previous shooting and slightly improving the still archaic background check system. Now you're drumming this up and you're mad because people aren't celebrating him double speaking about maybe he'll meet with Kim maybe he won't? I'm sure most people here are FOR peace with North Korea, IF it actually happens. Which it currently has not, and you're taking a victory lap.

Oct 27, 2017
Well if he fixes this, he already deserves a Nobel more than Obama ever did.

It will take years to figure out if this is solved. And its going to take a lot longer to find all the things Trump has broken.

I'd say there are even odds that Trump will walk out with some "deal", but they are a million to one that NK will ever stick to it. They will just stall and fuck around for years and years, long after Trump's legacy is an orange stain in the cemetery.

Oct 29, 2017
President Trump just announced he will be meeting Kim Jong Un in the coming weeks! History is about to be made, and Trump is on the way of bringing peace despite so many people doubting him.

Will be interesting to see how people are going to play it down like its no big deal. South Koreas Moon already credited Trump for most of the peace talks between the nations.

This is breaking and saw it on CNN so no source yet, will post article once available
I mean, I'm glad you're enthusiastic and happy but the concern should be for the people of North Korea. This stops North Korea dick-waving, sure and if they denuclearize then that's phenomenal.

That being said, the country is disgraceful in regards to it's treatment of its people and whomever is party to this agreement needs to ensure that North Korea will improve their human rights.

I would also suggest you not downplay the hard work of South and North Korean diplomats and the painstaking work they've put into this and go 'Trump, Trump, Trump!' just because you like the guy. The world is more than just America and her influence. Even if America does deserve credit.

It's also worth noting that North Korea has wanted to meet with a US President for a long time but has not met the conditions to do so.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It will take years to figure out if this is solved. And its going to take a lot longer to find all the things Trump has broken.

I'd say there are even odds that Trump will walk out with some "deal", but they are a million to one that NK will ever stick to it. They will just stall and fuck around for years and years, long after Trump's legacy is an orange stain in the cemetery.
Seeing past Nobel Peace Prize winners, I'm gonna say this thing he's doing is more than enough to get it.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we get an "Update: Maybe" added to thread title? Keep the !

Look pal he's new at this stop being a hater.

Oct 27, 2017

Just as republicans played down/attacked Obama for pretty much just existing.

I said at the beginning of Trump's presidency that I would show as much respect for him as republicans did for Obama, minus the racism of course.

One good thing out of a shit presidency, assuming he doesn't FUBAR this, doesn't make you a good president.

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing past Nobel Peace Prize winners, I'm gonna say this thing he's doing is more than enough to get it.

Isn't it much more important to you and I and everyone else that the deal actually works than an award? If we're under such grave threat of nuclear annihilation, you'd think there would be more questions asking about how North Korea will be forced to comply with this so that we're not in the same place in 10-20 years. Instead, it's all just meaningless rabble about who gets credit and who deserves which award. Does that make any sense at all?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Trump being president while North Korea talks peace is entirely incidental.

Reasons that North Korea is talking peace now:
  • They have recently gained a stronger bargaining position for any potential peace deal due to the fact that they have developed the ability to launch ICBM nukes

• Moon Jae-in is more bullish on peaceful reunification than the previous president of South Korea
Notably absent from this list is anything that Donald Trump has done, i.e. send insults over twitter, etc.
Yep.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Kim Jon is a dictator, and Trump is a wannabe dictator. They found common ground.

More seriously, the total 180 of NK is strange to say the least, but I kind of welcome it, because war would be a horrible option.

I feel the only chance for NK to really change is from within, with slow progress... If they get closer to SK maybe long term, it is possible.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Trump being president while North Korea talks peace is entirely incidental.

Reasons that North Korea is talking peace now:
  • They have recently gained a stronger bargaining position for any potential peace deal due to the fact that they have developed the ability to launch ICBM nukes

• Moon Jae-in is more bullish on peaceful reunification than the previous president of South Korea
Notably absent from this list is anything that Donald Trump has done, i.e. send insults over twitter, etc.

I would think those are some of the reasons. I mean people that are upset that people are skeptical are seemingly unwillingly to understand anything. I see no reason unless North Korea had a change of heart to suddenly talk about denuclearization , when for decades and decades they pursed nuclear weapons. I guess is they might first want to cease hostiles and the lifting of some sanctions, and then denuclearization.
The effort of denuclearization would require inspectors and some form of presence in North Korea; I would imagine that they would restrict access to certain areas.

Last edited: