• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
About simply declaring "World Peace!" and just leaving the room? Yeah, that happened, and the Iran deal still had quite a lot of issues that reared their ugly heads later.

One key difference is the people at play here (I wouldn't trust anyone in the Trump administration to bag my fucking groceries, let alone negotiate peace), and the fact that the negotiations seem extremely rushed. At this time last year people were worried about nuclear war with NK, and now we've swung so hard the other way we're getting whiplash. My chief concern is half-assing a treaty because Moon and Trump want to score political points with their respective countries and set up issues in the long run in the future. Given this is Trump we're talking about, the onus is on him to show that he's not gonna fuck it up.

I would agree that Trump, and his supporters by extension (just look at the OP), and Moon are playing this pretty desperately. At the very least, we should get the Americans in NK custody released when we're giving them a propagandist's wet dream of a photo opportunity.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
China sees weakness in our leadership and is using this situation to strengthen their influence and weaken the US in the area. Very smart.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a blast from the past... anyone here old enough to remember the Obama presidency?

Conservatives hated it when Obama said he'd meet with North Korea. Guess what they say now.
And some conservative writers are confused by their peers' shift.
By Jane Coaston Mar 9, 2018

It's almost as if the content in what's being said or done is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is if your team is the one doing it. Critical thinking is well and truly dead. (If that was even in question these days.)

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad thing? from some of the posts it sounds like an awful bad thing. I am all in and in support of Trump if he, his team, and whatever is happening can make this happen.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad thing? from some of the posts it sounds like an awful bad thing. I am all in and in support of Trump if he, his team, and whatever is happening can make this happen.
If it happens I think it's a good thing. Not like Trump hasn't said something was going to happen before and then just not done it.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Trump is a godawful negotiator, so no it's not really a good thing if he's going to be the one doing negotiations.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
anyone who you hear concern trolling about "legitimizing" the government of LEGITIMATE NATIONS like N. Korea and Iran is selling you snake oil

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
User warned: needless aggression toward other users
President Trump just announced he will be meeting Kim Jong Un in the coming weeks! History is about to be made, and Trump is on the way of bringing peace despite so many people doubting him.

Will be interesting to see how people are going to play it down like its no big deal. South Koreas Moon already credited Trump for most of the peace talks between the nations.

This is breaking and saw it on CNN so no source yet, will post article once available

Fuck off with this cheerleading of an idiot.

Inkblots

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The propaganda and true believers are so strong though, I doubt even a free press and physicial evidence would be enough to convince people of what actually happened in their own country.

I think you underestimate the reach of NK propaganda.
I meant if free trade and travel was permitted through the entire peninsula, the citizens would receive more knowledge, ideas, and interaction with the outside world. And, as they advanced, they'd realize they have a bum deal. Even if he totally turned it around and became a benevolent leader, the people would not forget his atrocities. So there's no end game that's good for him if he actually stops being a piece of shit despot.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Trump is a cataclysm. Noone should be cheering on the enemy of mankind to succeed in anything. If NK is a real problem. Then a real president should solve it.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I see Trump fanboys are even starting to make topics just to cheer for him.

I'll just quote what I said in the other topic about this:

Trump himself is not the reason for this. Literally any other president could be in office and it would go this way because of how things are in NK and SK currently. The US is getting credited because they're powerful allies, regardless of their leader.
NK is at a point with their nuclear program where they have to be taken seriously and compromised with. Trump agreeing to a meeting out of idiocy is at best a factor in this happening earlier.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Trump is a piece of shit con artist, I don't believe for one second that he deserves credit for any of this.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
5bMK9LN.gif

There's gotta be but somewhere in all of this. Even if its a success down the line I am still going to have my doubts.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty hopeful about this and if Trump doesn't fuck it up I'll give him credit for catching the ball and not dropping it.

But real talk: thinking Trump actually made this happen is idiocy. Propaganda to help Washington save face.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Yea...I know that is something the left loves to yell about. It's nothing. Just like Mueller. Now please, stop attacking posters and trying to derail the thread.

Lol

You may not recognize the reality of the situation, but it remains a fact no matter how much you deny it. He's a criminal, and to say Mueller is "nothing" after indictment after indictment is laughable.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
President Trump just announced he will be meeting Kim Jong Un in the coming weeks! History is about to be made, and Trump is on the way of bringing peace despite so many people doubting him.

Will be interesting to see how people are going to play it down like its no big deal. South Koreas Moon already credited Trump for most of the peace talks between the nations.

This is breaking and saw it on CNN so no source yet, will post article once available

I'm keeping this post for when things go down exactly as people have been saying it will.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not an American and although I despise Trump I don't think whether this counts as a win to him or not matters a damn bit for the people living in North Korea. For anyone who's excited about the prospect of peace with these impending talks, what about it are you excited about? Nuclear disarmament? The spectre of death taken off of Seoul? But at what cost - are you worried at all about the conditions of the people living in NK? Is any deal a good deal? What does a good deal look like to you? No president should be congratulated just for signing a deal, it's the terms of it that matter. When OP says peace is being made, peace for who? Thousands of citizens of foreign nations aren't being killed by North Koreans, but North Koreans sure are. Why's everyone being so cheeky and glib in this thread? Who gives a shit about Trump!? People are dying. How do we stop that, what do we want our governments to negotiate?

Last edited:

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who pushed the notion that Iran is not a legitimate nation?

i've heard plenty of that talk from hawks especially during obama's iran deal, perhaps not so much on resetera

it's especially absurd to hear it in the context of Trump v. Kim, since they seem to have perfectly complimentary airs of sophistication and rhetoric

it's not so much that they specifically claim iran isn't a legitimate nation, but there's still the same warnings of "legitimizing a regime" by speaking to them on an equal playing field

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's possible to just be happy for the situation and not care about the politics of who gets credit.

I'm a liberal and feel a stable Korean Peninsula is more important than this petty bullshit about who gets credit.

There's still a better than good chance nothing comes of this because NK is crazy but it's ok to be celebratory of peace while still thinking Trump is a moron.

Let's just hold on before proclaiming that this will result in a stable Korean Peninsula. The sunshine policy was thought to be 'working' and we all know how that turned out.

And then it was revealed that the SK gov at the time was actually funnelling billions to the NK government to have them play along.

Yea...I know that is something the left loves to yell about. It's nothing. Just like Mueller. Now please, stop attacking posters and trying to derail the thread.

Boy you are in for a rude surprise.

Last edited: