Taka

Apr 27, 2018
www.politico.com

Trump criticizes NASCAR ban on Confederate flags and attacks Black driver, NFL and MLB teams

The president’s tweet comes as Trump has embraced culture wars in an effort to revive his reelection prospects.
Donald Trump's campaign spent the weekend fending off criticism of a pair of presidential speeches panned as racially divisive and inflammatory.

On Monday, the president undercut his own team's efforts at damage control with a pair of tweets. The first criticized NASCAR's decision to ban the Confederate flag from its races and demanded that the sport's top Black driver apologize for an episode that, by all accounts, was not his fault. The second chastised sports franchises considering ditching offensive team names.

"Has @BubbaWallace apologized to all of those great NASCAR drivers & officials who came to his aid, stood by his side, & were willing to sacrifice everything for him, only to find out that the whole thing was just another HOAX?" Trump wrote on Twitter. "That & Flag decision has caused lowest ratings EVER!"
Hours later Trump followed up with another tweet criticizing the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians, both of which announced they would review a potential name change after years of pressure from Native American groups.

"They name teams out of STRENGTH, not weakness, but now the Washington Redskins & Cleveland Indians, two fabled sports franchises, look like they are going to be changing their names in order to be politically correct," he wrote, before disparaging Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) for promoting the results of a DNA test that showed she had a small percentage of Native American blood.
On Monday afternoon, Wallace tweeted out a message to "the next generation and little ones following my foot steps," saying that "your words and actions will always be held to a higher standard."

"You will always have people testing you. Seeing if they can knock you off your pedestal," Wallace said. He urged fans to "always deal with the hate being thrown at you with LOVE ... Even when it's HATE from the POTUS."
Asked why the president believed Wallace should apologize for something he was not personally involved in, McEnany said Trump felt it "would go a long way" if Wallace would acknowledge the results of the investigation — something the driver did two weeks ago when the investigation concluded.

Contrary to Trump's assertion, NASCAR — one of the first major sports to resume amid the coronavirus pandemic — saw its ratings increase immediately after banning the Confederate flag from its events. A Fox Sports executive said in a tweet that overnight ratings for the race that took place hours after NASCAR's ban was announced were up "+104% over the comparable race last season." The Talladega race, which was postponed a day because of rain, was the most-watched Monday race since 2014.

The network has seen an 8 percent bump in NASCAR viewership since resuming races in mid-May, said Michael Mulvihill, Fox Sports' executive vice president and head of strategy.
The president's tweet comes as Trump has embraced culture wars in an effort to revive his reelection prospects after polling has shown him consistently trailing former Vice President Joe Biden.

A new Gallup poll on Monday found that Trump's job approval had dipped to 38 percent, just 3 points above his all-time low.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
He probably asked this morning how the car his PAC paid $350,000 to slap Trump 2020 all over it finished. This is the result of his manbaby tantrum after he was told the car crashed out of the race on pit road on lap 16 and was never really shown on TV once. Karma is a bitch.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. Racism is the only thing he's ever been "successful" at. As in, he's successful in being a racist shitbag.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Why do media continue to use soft language -- "Trump has embraced culture wars"

The word is Racism, and he's embraced it for his entire life, his whole family always has.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
He probably asked this morning how the car his PAC paid $350,000 to slap Trump 2020 all over it finished. This is the result of his manbaby tantrum after he was told the car crashed out of the race on pit road on lap 16 and was never really shown on TV once. Karma is a bitch.

haha, tell me this actually happened

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Soledad O'Brien has been calling out media softballing on the Trump admin and the title of the nytimes article covering this is a fucking doozy.

In a controversial moment of inflammatory textile rhetoric compounded with racial overtones and divisive historical commentary meant to appeal to specific base demographics, Donald Trump donned a white hood on the White House south lawn yesterday while screaming "Heil Hitler".

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
the thing with it is Trump wants Bubba to apologize to NASCAR and the drivers and the officials that stood by him, only they continue to do so? So why would Bubba be apologizing to the sport and it's participants when they don't even want or expect him to?

just another thing Trump and his dumbass supporters know nothing about. The people that were yelling "Bubba Smollett" the loudest don't even watch NASCAR.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
haha, tell me this actually happened
Screen_Shot_2020_07_05_at_6.25.03_PM.png

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
198 days until Inauguration Day when we'll either never have to hear about low ratings again or the country burns to the ground.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The same old bag of trick from this one-trick pony.

Anything to distract for his horrid COVID-19 response. I wish the media would ignore this canard. We know he's a racist.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been following this story too closely since the initial news about the noose, is there any truth to the idea that it's all made up?

Given that it's Trump saying it I am highly skeptical. Not that he's not being a douchcanoe anyway.

EDIT - Thanks for the posts verifying that the noose was indeed true. Trump's pulled a story out of his ass.

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Nazi Barbie is such a fucking tool she makes Spicey look like an alright guy lol

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Soledad O'Brien has been calling out media softballing on the Trump admin and the title of the nytimes article covering this is a fucking doozy.

I don't...What is hell is with that article title?

I haven't been following this story too closely since the initial news about the noose, is there any truth to the idea that it's all made up?

Given that it's Trump saying it I am highly skeptical. Not that he's not being a douchcanoe anyway.

It wasn't made up. There was definitely a noose in the garage. It had apparently been there since last year.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Not made up.

The MAGA folks went crazy when it was confirmed to be a garage door pull. Then NASCAR released the image and they went quiet like the idiots they are. It's a clear noose. Whether Bubba was targeted, we don't know. But it's been there for a while.

Now that story is over, our White Supremacist in Chief brings it back again to distract from his horrendous Presidency and tanking poll numbers.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't made up. There was definitely a noose in the garage. It had apparently been there since last year.
Not made up.

The MAGA folks went crazy when it was confirmed to be a garage door pull. Then NASCAR released the image and they went quiet like the idiots they are. It's a clear noose. Whether Bubba was targeted, we don't know. But it's been there for a while.

Now that story is over, our White Supremacist in Chief brings it back again to distract from his horrendous Presidency and tanking poll numbers.

Thanks, I suspected he was regurgitating some bullshit but I wasn't sure if it wasn't actually verified elsewhere. It's hard to tell sometimes when he pulls something so ridiculous about a story that even I go "Wait, he can't be making this up surely? This has gotta come from somewhere."

CDX

Oct 25, 2017

It was never made up It WAS A NOOSE, and was the ONLY noose found in over 1,600 garages. Bubba Wallace himself never saw it or reported it, his team and NASCAR did.

The FBI apparently determined it was around since 2019.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guess the stories were true.

His plan is to really ignore his advisors and just double down on the white nationalism thing.

Well. I don't think that's a good strategy, but we'll find out soon enough.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
These are such easy, softball wins even for a racist but he's too stupid and incompetent to do even that. He literally has one hit to play.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Still don't even know why Trump decided to tweet about it, two weeks later. It's still being talked about some in the NASCAR community, but it wasn't a major headline from this weekend. Jimmie Johnson testing positive for COVID, Goodyear's tire failures, the pit road crash, Kevin Harvick and Denny Hamlin dominating, those were the big stories this weekend. So bizarre to me that Trump had to go and shift attention back to this.

notachoice

Oct 25, 2017
Still don't even know why Trump decided to tweet about it, two weeks later. It's still being talked about some in the NASCAR community, but it wasn't a major headline from this weekend. Jimmie Johnson testing positive for COVID, Goodyear's tire failures, the pit road crash, Kevin Harvick and Denny Hamlin dominating, those were the big stories this weekend. So bizarre to me that Trump had to go and shift attention back to this.
It's not really bizarre if you think about it. By talking about it, he can try to deflect attention away from the virus.