El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
There are a thousand in pro wrestling - but one of my fav is "Twin Magic" - when twins wrestle and get into hijinks like changing spots to perform trickery.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Found family trope, I'm an eternal sucker for that shit

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
the bit where the big guy no-sells the biggest attack possible and emerges from the smoke unscathed. happens multiple times in Evangelion, which is when i realized it was dope as fuck

Oct 27, 2017
The typically comedic, free spirit protag gets super serious in dramatic fashion. See Cpt. Mal Reynolds (Firefly torture season with Wash), Starlord (GotG2 discovering Ego's deed) and Inigo ("I want my father back you son of a bitch!")

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Villain thinks they've got rid of the protagonist. Villain is talking to supporting cast(probably being cocky) who often also are the "good guys" and protagonist thought to be dead shows up and the villain goes:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.jpg

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
The heroic sacrifice, even if the character turns out okay in the end. Gets me every single time. Watching movies with my kids, I've noticed that it comes up a surprising amount in kid's/family movies: Iron Giant, Wreck-it Ralph, The Brave Little Toaster...

Oct 28, 2017
I love and will not apologise for the classic sitcom trope "two dates at the same time" trope.

Character running between buildings or etc. Classic.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When the hero just barely ekes out a win against the villain, but a way, WAY stronger villain immediately shows up to let you know just how much of a weakling the guy you just defeated was.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
villains joining the good guy's side. honestly I love it just about every time, even if it makes no godamn sense

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
When your protagonist who doesn't really kill, kills for that first time in epic fashion and it's sad as hell and they feel like dying afterwards. I love that.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
A team slow walking in a line.

…also throwing the gun after using all the bullets.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
shonen stuff, the characters eat a lot, happy go lucky, rightous, always overcomes, turns into a badass when needed

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
the open ending that suggests the adventure continues

bonus points if they manage to not even entirely resolve the main plot yet still make the open ending feel satisfying

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Angry glowing eyes

tumblr_obnsxftAmx1relmroo1_1280.jpg

homelander-laser-eyes.gif

FQOtEybVkAMv3wy

Bonus points in live action if you can still make out the pupils

Oct 29, 2017
USA
When someone is hit by a big attack and all you see is a dust cloud surrounding where they were. You know that person just survived the attack, but the attacker is surprised every single time. It's awesome because it applies to heroes and villains. It's a great way to show that someone is outclassed.

It's used more often in anime, but favorite use of it is in The Last Jedi. I wasn't expecting it and there ends up being a good reason for how Luke survives the attack.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm a big fan of female characters as the physical powerhouse of the group. While I think the idea that all women need to conventionally pretty or cute is exceptionally stupid, there is a certain appeal to characters you don't expect to be particularly strong, such as a young girl, to absolutely wreck shit.

Examples are Alena from Dragon Quest IV, Ayla from Chrono Trigger and Tifa from Final Fantasy VII(R).

Somewhat related, Bare-Fisted Monks in general are just awesome.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Any hero coming back from (the brink of) death stronger than before.

When an act of kindness or mercy makes a villain have an existential crisis.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I love me a good Villainous Breakdown. Especially the smug, superior villains finally breaking or losing it after staying ahead of the protagonists for some long.

Power Limiter/Willfully Weak/I Am Not Left-Handed. Where a character has been holding back somehow or limiting themselves for one reason or another. Then stop doing so and proceed to start turning the tables.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Any time jump into the future. Either temporary time travel tale or when a story does time skip. Just revisiting what everyone again And learn what happened is always fun for me

Foolish

Jun 23, 2022
"Ooh no, don't look at me. No way. I won't do [degrading thing]. Nope. I will never, ever, do that for ANY--"

*smash cut to the character in the midst of [degrading thing]*

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Evil lady and her bumbling henchmen (Team Rocket, Doronjo)

Runaway strollers heading for traffic

Mascot characters that can talk

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Indomitable Human Spirit against the Bleak Reality of the Universe. It's all over anime and japanese video games and it always gets me.

Also, and I don't know the name of it, the selfish jerk character standing up for the character they "hate."

Squidward was a real one for this I'm just saying.

View: https://youtu.be/DDEAx3gDrp0?si=TI_cdAVq2QagpfQ-

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really know the proper name for it or if its even a trope since I only know of like five series that regularly do it...but character title cards really hype me up for some reason. Bonus points if a character only gets their "official" intro card just before they finally face the protagonist or do something badass.

GAolmCB.png

TpylyNV.png

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Happy endings (Not that kind, for the pervs out there)

I HATE movies that have depressing and defeating endings. It's especially the worst with horror movies, where the protagonist goes through hell, just to die at the end anyways. Call me a sap, but I like a good old traditional trope of a happy ending where the "good" guys win. I actually didn't mind them at first, but as time went on, it feels like everything has to have a depressing/bad ending nowadays, and it's tiring.

There's enough misery and depressing things in the world, I don't need to see it end that way too in the films/shows I watch.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
When they make hero characters the most dangerous mofo in the room instead of the "I'm weaker than the villain but I never give up/have friends/always get back up" type and the villain gets stomped by an overwhelming difference in strength or skill.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's fairly specific, but I fucking love 'telling barefaced lies at great personal expense to steer others out of immediate danger'. Examples being... Umm, Lelouch telling Kallen he was using her the entire time so she doesn't stand with him as he's about to be subjected to a firing squad in Code Geass, or Wayne making a scene to evacuate his manor at the end of Batman Begins.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
When the main cast feels like genuine friends instead of heroic co-workers.

And the writers need to do better than "you know Lancer, we've been friends since childhood, haven't we? Cue flashback of when you saved me from a bully."