• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The Rachel Divide, a Netflix Original Documentary, streams April 27.

About Rachel Dolezal:

Rachel Dolezal, a former NAACP leader from Spokane, Washington, who made headlines in 2015 after she was exposed as a white woman who had been representing herself as black, said Saturday that she still believes race is a "social construct."

Two years on, Dolezal has written a memoir, titled "In Full Color: Finding My Place in a Black and White World," in which she describes identifying as black at a very early age. She told CNN's Michael Smerconish that her aunt once made her a "black Raggedy Ann doll."

"She kind of recognized and seemed to understand my affinity for black is beautiful and black is inspirational," Dolezal said.

Asked by Smerconish if she sees parallels between what she dubs her "trans-black" identity and Caitlyn Jenner, the transgender former Olympic champion, Dolezal said that "a lot of people have drawn that parallel."

"I want to be careful because certainly every category of our identity is, you know, with its own unique circumstances and challenges," Dolezal said.

"But for sure there is some similarity in terms of harmonizing the outer appearance with the inner feeling," she said. "In terms of stigmatized identities, some people will forever see me as my birth category and nothing further. And the same with Caitlyn."

In her book, Dolezal says she regrets her now infamous 2015 answer to the question "Are you African-American?" Dolezal told a local reporter that she "didn't understand the question." Today, she told Smerconish, she'd have a different response.

"If I would have had time to really, you know, discuss my identity, I probably would have described a more complex label, pan-African, pro-black, bisexual, mother, artist, activist, but I think the question, Are you African-American? -- I haven't identified as African-American. I've identified as black. And black is a culture, a philosophy, a political and social view," she said.

"I believe that race is a social construct," she added.

Asked by Smerconish if she still experiences "hostilities" from those who have accused her of appropriating black culture, Dolezal said she still hears "love and hate" from both white and black people.

"Those who are going to hate, you know, I mean, they have their minds made up," she said. "Maybe they'll never read the book. I hope they do."

Source.

Mod Edit: Please do not attempt to build false equivalences to LGBTQ people. Those arguments are at best strawmen at worse insulting to LGBTQ people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point if she just tried to live instead of drawing attention to herself, people would care less about it.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nah, man. This woman doesn't deserve anymore attention, and I don't want to contribute to the view count.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
paper-boi-atlanta.jpg

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I find the psychology behind her case very interesting. I'll be watching out of morbid curiosity more than anything.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
"The Rachel Divide"? Oh, dear - someone must have been very pleased with themselves when they came up with that.

WingStop Addiction

Alt account
Banned
Feb 23, 2018
User warned for being dismissive on trans issues
I'm not close minded towards trans issues so I'll give her special a view.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
That title is a good pun. That's the only positive thing I can say about this though

Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point if she just tried to live instead of drawing attention to herself, people would care less about it.

That's essentially what her son says to her in the trailer from the OP too. He asks her "why can't you just let this go" and that "I don't want to have to focus on this for the rest of my life". He asks her to think about how her book and this documentary will impact his life and not just hers. He says that the whole thing will probably "backfire on her, just like everything else has backfired". I feel pretty bad for him because he clearly recognizes how stupid it is but it's still his mother.

Has Bean

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix has great documentaries, but yeah, this is a hard pass.

Next up: "Kim Davis: The Untold Story"

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Not seeing the problem with this documentary. Seems more like a psychological profile on a disturbed individual. I might actually watch this.