Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

Ever since Xbox Game Studios and Avalanchedropped the official announcement trailer for Contraband at Xbox Games Showcase 2021, we haven't heard a single thing about this mysterious upcoming co-op title.

Yesterday, Magg once again talked about Contraband in the latest episode of XNC Podcast, where he revealed that the game has been internally delayed and is now targeting a 2025 or even late 2025 release window.
"I've been told that it's been delayed well into 2025, could be the end of 2025 for all we know,"he said. "The people that played the game said it's very fun and great. It was a very early build, the cars didn't even have drivers in them."
Tom Warren, a reliable Xbox insider and writer for The Verge dropped a comment during the livestream, stating that "Contraband is a ways off, for sure", confirming Magg's statement that it will take some time before we get to play Avalanche's co-op smuggling title.
Source: https://www.altchar.com/game-news/c...ck-has-been-positive-its-claimed-a04OA1l0ycL7

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I trust Warren's sources but who is Magg. Do they have a track record?
No. Magg also claimed the game is a fusion between Battlefield Hardline, Payday and Driver. I do not give Magg any credibility though but either way, if they are credible, we probably won't be able to confirm that any time soon since I doubt we see this game at the showcase.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I mean yeah, nothing besides a cg trailer years ago and radio silence since. I expected it to take longer still or be canceled already.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
As a mainly PS guy, I like how good the Xbox shows are, but then there's the caveat of never seeing those games come out for 4-5 years. While I dislike how weak the PS Shows have been, I'm not sure which I approach I prefer. I guess Xbox you atleast know what's on the roadmap, but then you have no idea when you're actually gonna play it. There is a beautiful middle ground that no one seems to have.

Nintendo: *sits on games that are already made for over a year*

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
No. Magg also claimed the game is a fusion between Battlefield Hardline, Payday and Driver. I do not give Magg any credibility though but either way, if they are credible, we probably won't be able to confirm that any time soon since I doubt we see this game at the showcase.
Gotcha, thanks

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Wouldn't be a big Xbox game if it wasn't announced 12 years before it released
If they ever release a game their next year can`t be "the biggest year for Xbox yet"! They need to have more games in the pipeline every year!

(Before people get angry I know they release games and I enjoy several of them. Just a fun jab at that particularly repeated bit of PR)

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
As a mainly PS guy, I like how good the Xbox shows are, but then there's the caveat of never seeing those games come out for 4-5 years. While I dislike how weak the PS Shows have been, I'm not sure which I approach I prefer. I guess Xbox you atleast know what's on the roadmap, but then you have no idea when you're actually gonna play it. There is a beautiful middle ground that no one seems to have.

Nintendo: *sits on games that are already made for over a year*
It's kind of a fun guessing game as a Xbox fan because you never know what games you'll be playing next year. What is Microsoft's 2025 lineup? What will they show gameplay of this year? Will it be Fable? Will it be Everwild? Will it be Perfect Dark? Will it be South of Midnight? Will it be The Outer Worlds 2? Is it Hideo Kojima's OD? (No).

There are 20 XGS games currently announced that haven't been released so you kind of get to guess on which games are coming out next. I'm putting my bets on Fable, Clockwork Revolution, State of Decay 3 and Perfect Dark as the big 2025 games that will be in the showcase.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
It's kind of a fun guessing game as a Xbox fan because you never know what games you'll be playing next year. What is Microsoft's 2025 lineup? What will they show gameplay of this year? Will it be Fable? Will it be Everwild? Will it be Perfect Dark? Will it be South of Midnight? Will it be The Outer Worlds 2? Is it Hideo Kojima's OD? (No).

There are 20 XGS games currently announced that haven't been released so you kind of get to guess on which games are coming out next. I'm putting my bets on Fable, Clockwork Revolution, State of Decay 3 and Perfect Dark as the big 2025 games that will be in the showcase.
There's a similar guessing game for 2025 for PS fans, except the games we're guessing haven't actually been announced yet. ;__;

Yeah, I agree with your list except I have an odd feeling Perfect Dark still might be 2026. I was a big Gears fan on 360, hoping for Gears 6 in 2026. Also, selfishly hoping it comes to PS5 day one, but that's a game I might need to play on an Xbox controller anyways for my nostalgia.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
There's a similar guessing game for 2025 for PS fans, except the games we're guessing haven't actually been announced yet. ;__;

Yeah, I agree with your list except I have an odd feeling Perfect Dark still might be 2026. I was a big Gears fan on 360, hoping for Gears 6 in 2026. Also, selfishly hoping it comes to PS5 day one, but that's a game I might need to play on an Xbox controller anyways for my nostalgia.
Gears 6 is definitely a Fall 2025 game if it's being revealed this year. Gears 4 was revealed at E3 2014 with a "Holiday 2015" release window. Gears 5 was revealed at E3 2018 with a "Holiday 2019" release window. Both games released in September and October the following year after initial reveal trailer. The Coalition doesn't reveal games far in advance. For 2026… I would maybe say DOOM and Everwild is more likely.

As for hoping Gears 6 comes to PS5 day one, I'm not sure about that one but there is a rumored Gears HD trilogy collection and I can see that coming to PS5 day one maybe as well as a port of Gears 4/Gears 5? Then maybe a 6 months timed exclusive Gears 6 for Xbox and then PS5 port for Gears 6 as well. I think Gears would sell very well on PS5 so it's a matter of when, not if.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
That isn't that far now. But that timeframe. Better give GTA6 a wide berth.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to assume everything MS is publishing is a long way off or experiencing development hell until proven otherwise these days tbh.

JRedCX

Nov 10, 2020
I may have erased my memories from 2020 to late 2022 because I don't remember this CGI trailer at all lmao.

Blacklisted

Aug 15, 2021
Could someone provide a list of games that were announced but have not been updated for decades, leaving us in the dark about their status? I overlooked the existence of contraband, but I am quite certain there are others as well. Ah and it's pretty common already for Microsoft doing this lol.

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
don't announce games if your no where close to release people will just forget them.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Hello darkness my old friend...
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely need to stop announcing stuff too early. I don't care if they think they need to build up hype: it's a short term gain for a long term issue that causes way more headaches in the long run.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
If they do announce a game early, they should just be transparent and say it's early in development 🤷🏽‍♀️

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I for some reason thought Contraband was made by an internal MS studio. Completely missed it's made by the Just Cause devs.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I remember thinking at the time that the CG reveal seemed like the most immaterial way to reveal the game, that it didn't stand out in any way stylistically, and I mentally bet myself it would be cancelled before release because they so clearly had bubkes for actual development progress before dumping the trailer.

Writing the words "a co-op" and "open world" on random-seeming photos in the trailer felt like it underscored how undeveloped even their basic premise was. This was clearly artless scribbles on a white-board at the time, and it's annoying having this kind of vapid promotion suck up any air in the hobby.

Last edited:

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Spencer bemoan announcing stuff too early a couple years ago?
He did in 2017. https://www.vg247.com/microsoft-con...t-want-to-show-trailers-for-games-3-years-out

So just a few years before they announced a bunch of games too early again.

FWIW they've slowed down the early announcements since the 2021 showcase. 2022 and 2023 felt far more grounded comparatively.

The 2020 Xbox Showcase will haunt them for the rest of the generation.
  • Avowed
  • Fable
  • Contraband
  • Everwild
  • State of Decay 3
None of those are out yet, 4 years later.
Not that it makes it any better, but Everwild was announced in 2019.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
2025 doesn't seem that far off? The way they make it sound is 2027-2028.

With that said I wouldn't be surprised if it falls into 2026. But this is also a brand-new game and games take a lot of time to develop.

The 2020 Xbox Showcase will haunt them for the rest of the generation.

Lol

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Next year doesn't really sounds that far off tbh. I didn't really expect it to release this year.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Im very curious what games like this and Everwild actually pitched with to get greenlit.