Publisher: Nintendo
Language: Japanese, English, Chinese, French
Play mode: Handheld, Tabletop, TV Mode
Price: JPY7370, USD59.99, CDN79.96, GBP49.99, EUR59.99
Required Space: 11.3 GB
Genre: Role Playing Game
Release Date: 17th January 2020

STORY
Taking place in modern-day Tokyo and featuring real-life locations such as Shibuya and Harajuku, the game centres around hostile beings known as Mirages who seek to harvest energy known as Performa from humans and are responsible for several disappearances. The story follows a group of teenagers who become allied with friendly Mirages, based on characters from the Fire Emblem series, and merge with them to become Mirage Masters. Under the guise of the Fortuna Entertainment talent agency, the Mirage Masters fight to protect innocent people from the Mirages and find out who is behind the attacks.

CHARACTERS
Itsuki Aoi
Your average high school student who is honest to a fault. After becoming Mirage Master, he is pulled into the entertainment industry, much to his dismay. Partnering with Mirage Chrom, he starts of as a Lord class.
Tsubasa Oribe
A rookie idol from Fortuna Entertainment. Tsubasa always keeps her head high and tries her best in a tough idol industry as she strives to be like her senior, Kiria. Tsubasa starts of as a Pegasus Knight, with Mirage Caeda as her partner.
Kiria Kurono
A veteran idol of Fortuna Entertainment, Kiria has made her way to the top of the charts throughout the years. Her image song, Reincarnation is popular among teenagers (and you guys who always shout Kowashitai whenever this game got brought up). With Mirage Tharja on her side, Kiria starts off as a Dark Mage.
Touma Akagi
Hot headed and carefree, Touma strives to be the ideal Hero. He idolizes the ideals of those to the point where he's aiming to be the main hero in an upcoming tokusatsu series. Wielding a lance and helped by Mirage Cain, he starts off as a Cavalier in the game.
Eleonora Yumizuru
The Archer of the game, Eleonora is a mixed Japanese-Scandinavian girl who aims to become a top Hollywood actress. Partnering with Mirage Virion, she'll shoot the target accurately with her bow.
Mamori Minamoto
The youngest member of Fortuna Entertainment, Mamori loves everything from the Showa Era, whether it is enka music, kabuki, or noh. Partnering with Draug, she is your reliable tank in the party as she starts off as a Knight.
Yashiro Tsurugi
An extremely successful idol, Yashiro is a talented person who excels in acting, dancing and singing. Despite his popularity, Yashiro is cold and detached person. With Navarre on his side, Yashiro acts as the swordsman in the party.
Maiko Shimazaki
Fortuna Entertainment's president and producer. Maiko is a former model who knows the industry from the inside out. With her status and capabilities, she keeps searching and recruiting new Mirage Masters to her company.
Barry Goodman
He's definitely not Marty Friedman
Chrom
Originally a prince from Halidom of Ylisse in Fire Emblem Awakening, Chrom has no recollection of his past after he became a Mirage.
Caeda
As the 1st heroine of Fire Emblem series, Caeda returns as a Mirage who supports Tsubasa whenever she can. Much like Chrom, she doesn't recall of her memories back in Archanea.
Tharja
Formerly Robin's stalker, now Kiria's loyal partner during battle. Even if she has no memories of the past, she still retain her capability being a dark mage.
Cain
Much like most of the Mirages, Cain doesn't remember his pasts other than some tiny faint memories of his rival Abel.
Virion
Even if he's affected with the mass amnesia affecting Mirages, Virion is still the same flamboyant archer as before. His personality often causes him to butt heads with his partner, Eleonora.
Draug
Being a true knight, Draug continues to do his job in serving and protecting his master even in his current Mirage form.
Navarre
A stoic mercenary who still retains his personality even after becoming a Mirage. Navarre ends up becoming Yashiro's Mirage partner due to his inner strength.
Tiki
On one side, Tiki is the overseer for the mysterious Bloom Palace. On another side, she's a popular virtual idol of a vocal software, Singaloid.

GAME SYSTEMS
Combat
The game is a turn-based RPG where you control 3 party members with your respective Mirage to fight and defeat enemy Mirage!
Each battle takes place in the Idolasphere inside an Arena, similar to a grand stage when performing Lives and shows.
The gameplay takes cues from both Fire Emblem and Atlus RPGs. There are 4 different weapon elements, 6 different magic elements, along with familiar recovery & support skills in the game.
Like in Atlus RPGs and Fire Emblem, you want to be exploiting weaknesses for maximum damage and minimum consequences most of the time.

Session Attacks
Hit an opponent with a move they're weak to, and one or more party members may join in for a follow-up attack, provided they know a chainable attack. Be careful – enemies can exploit your own weak points with Sessions of their own!

Ad-lib Performances
Show off your talents with a show-stopping performance. These special attacks cover a wide area and can have additional effects. Ad-lib Performance will randomly be activated whenever the character uses a skill that matches with the performances.

Special Performances
Unleash devastating strikes that can ignore an enemy's strengths and weaknesses or give you a health boost to turn the tide of battle. To use it, you'll have to consume SP, which is only gained by attacking and performing Sessions beforehand.

Duo Arts
Team up with other stars and take each other to new creative heights. Activate a Duo Art during a Session to create jaw-dropping combos. With this, you can even extend your Session combos even longer than usual.

Bloom Palace
A realm connected to Fortuna Entertainment office for some reason, governed by Tiki. This place acts as the game's base support ala Velvet Room in Persona series. Here, you can improve your party performance either by creating weapons, upgrading skills or even undergo class change.

Carnage Unity
You'll be able to create weapons for your party by fusing materials that you collected beforehand. Each weapon will have different capability such as different skills, elements (advantage/disadvantage) and so on.

Radiant Unity
As your characters increases their Stage Ranks, you can unlock bunch of useful skills by spending Performa that you collected from enemies. Some of the Session Attacks are also unlocked from this option.

Class Change
At certain point, you can further improve your party by having your Mirages undergo class change. Each Mirage has some class choices to choose from. By doing so, you'll have access to new skills and abilities that are useful during battles. As long as you have enough Master Seal, you can freely change your Mirage classes as much as you want.

[bNEW FEATURES IN ENCORE[/b]
EX Stories
Explore the new Area of Aspiration dungeon as part of Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore's brand new EX Story! Completing these new story episodes will unlock new outfits, items and songs to listen to at Fortuna Entertainment.

Original DLC Contents
Contents like EXP dungeon which was a paid DLC contents for the Wii U version is included in Encore without extra charges.

New Costumes
More costumes being added in Encore version, on top of the original version DLC costumes. It varies from new collab costumes like Joker from Persona 5 to new song costumes.

Additional Characters During Sessions
This time, Tiki, Maiko and Barry will join your party by helping you during Session Attacks. Make full use of their contributions and you can deal more damage to enemies while extending Session combos even longer. Too bad they aren't fully playable party members.

Quick Session
You can now speed up the Session Attack sequence in Encore. If you got tired of waiting long-winded combos to end in the original version, be assured you can cut those time short and finish the combo sooner than expected this time.

4de1208d75.png

How long is the game?
It depends on your playthrough. If you just aim to clear the main story, it'll probably took around 40-50 hours to finish (based on Wii U version), might be less due to loading speed improvements.

Does Encore version got English dub?
Sadly no. It's still like the original Wii U version where only Japanese voice recorded.

What are the difficulty options for this game?
There are 5 options, which are Friendly, Easy, Normal, Hard and Lunatic. Friendly are unlocked after you died in Easy mode, while Lunatic is unlocked after clearing the game once. The rest are available by default. You can also freely change the difficulty during mid-game, except during Lunatic mode.

Any NG+ stuff?

Yes, in that mode, you can switch out Itsuki from the main party. There are also bunch of extra stuff only in this mode.

Is it 1080p docked?
Sadly no. Both docked & undocked is reported being 720p. Maybe we'll know the exact resolution if Digital Foundry is doing some analysis for this game.

Hotspring DLC?
Encore uses localized version of the Wii U game as a base, so nope

TMS 2 happening?
Who knows? Hopefully some guy at Atlus, Nintendo or IntSys managed to convince higher ups to greenlight sequel one day.

Will I like the game if I hate those Jpop/idol/etc. stuff?
To be honest, I don't know. Each person has their own tolerance level. For what it's worth, there are people who ends up liking the game after playing Wii U version.

d9492d5ae5.png

Shun for the original game's OT
Aveyn Knight, Elieson and Chrom for Encore news coverage at Serenes Forest
Whoever wrote the Story text in Wikipedia entry
IntSys, Atlus and Nintendo for doing this port

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to get my copy, finally Nintendo ported a game I wanted to the Switch.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe add a bit in the FAQ to the length section about difficulty.

There are 5 difficulties - Friendly (Unlocked by dying in Easy), Easy, Normal, Hard, and Lunatic (Only available in NG+). Difficulty can be changed mid-game except for Lunatic. NG+ lets you choose what you want to carry over, except in Lunatic mode where you have to start over. NG+ also has a few additional challenges that aren't in the first playthrough.

ChrisEnri

Banned
Mar 30, 2019
I'm guessing the game will unlock at midnight east coast time.

Can't wait, I had this on Wii U and loved it, it's a great JRPG, hope there's a sequel.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

There are 5 difficulties - Friendly (Unlocked by dying in Easy), Easy, Normal, Hard, and Lunatic (Only available in NG+). Difficulty can be changed mid-game except for Lunatic. NG+ lets you choose what you want to carry over, except in Lunatic mode where you have to start over. NG+ also has a few additional challenges that aren't in the first playthrough.

Thanks. Wondering if I should be doing normal or harder. What are the differences, stats? I imagine hard would just require grinding more.

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to get this day 1, but I'll probably buy it when I feel like replaying. Quick sessions sound like a gamechanger.

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017

good idea. I kinda forgot about difficulty thing. will do it after smash direct lol

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Wondering if I should be doing normal or harder. What are the differences, stats? I imagine hard would just require grinding more.

I think it's mostly just enemy stats. Hard mode felt like typical Atlus hard modes (like in Persona/SMT/EO) - challenging but you shouldn't need to do excessive grinding if you have a good plan & build your characters well.

I'm not sure why I'm even asking lol, but how 'anime' is this game? Other than the aesthetic.

Played Persona 4? That, but moreso.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I last played this 3.5 years ago, can't wait to play through this again. Glad quick sessions were added, now if they fixed the problem of constantly leaving dungeons to make new weapons, then all my issues will have been fixed.

Also might be worth mentioning you can swap the MC out of your party, though only in NG+.

evilcar

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT!

I was really enjoying my time with the Wii U version but for some reason I was distracted and never went back to it. I snagged a copy to show some support and finally run through it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Great OT!

Really excited to play this again and I hope more people give it a shot now it's not stuck on the Wii U.

Hint

Apr 9, 2018
Great OT! Really tempted to grab this one now, although I was trying to cut down on lengthy RPGs this year. From the description it sounds like its pretty much Persona with the FE weapons/magic system rather than the typical SMT one, right?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Great OT! Really tempted to grab this one now, although I was trying to cut down on lengthy RPGs this year. From the description it sounds like its pretty much Persona with the FE weapons/magic system rather than the typical SMT one, right?

Yep!

Instead of fusing demons, you forge weapons and then gain weapon XP which lets you learn the set of abilities & passives that the weapon has.
Instead of a calendar system, there are sidequests with the other characters & some NPCs that you can freely do and give various bonuses.
Dungeons are somewhere between Persona 4 & 5 in that they're pre-designed (like 5) but closer in length to 4.
Swapping characters in battle is common.
There's a press turn-esque system where you can chain moves between allies.

Story is very much like a Persona game.

If you like SMT/Persona gameplay and J-Pop style, it's aces.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks, thats awesome to know, looking forward to playing this

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OT! I'm pretty tempted to preload it tonight. I never finished the Wii U version, but now I feel that I should finish this.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Was originally planning to play on Normal again but reading that you can change difficulty on the fly means that I'll probably give Hard a shot. Hopefully it provides a good challenge.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
OP, is that the original description for Barry or did you edit that in? LOL

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
While I have zero desire to jump back into this again I would 100% Recommend this game to anyone that is interested but didn't have a Wii U. It was pretty much my favourite game on the system.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Yep!

Instead of fusing demons, you forge weapons and then gain weapon XP which lets you learn the set of abilities & passives that the weapon has.
Instead of a calendar system, there are sidequests with the other characters & some NPCs that you can freely do and give various bonuses.
Dungeons are somewhere between Persona 4 & 5 in that they're pre-designed (like 5) but closer in length to 4.
Swapping characters in battle is common.
There's a press turn-esque system where you can chain moves between allies.

Story is very much like a Persona game.

If you like SMT/Persona gameplay and J-Pop style, it's aces.

Tbh, I wouldn't say it's too persona like, like it's in the same vein, but not as in-depth as p3 to p5 style game. It doesn't nearly go into depth with the side characters like it does a person's game, and of people came here expecting that I think they would be a little dissapointed. In addition, this game is very much a love story to fe1 with plenty of references (including the old fire emblem 3 commercial).

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh, I wouldn't say it's too persona like, like it's in the same vein, but not as in-depth as p3 to p5 style game. It doesn't nearly go into depth with the side characters like it does a person's game, and of people came here expecting that I think they would be a little dissapointed. In addition, this game is very much a love story to fe1 with plenty of references (including the old fire emblem 3 commercial).

From what I played, it felt like a good mix of traditional SMT & modern Persona. More gameplay focus than modern Persona and more character focus than traditional SMT.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Want this so badly but sinking in RPG's at the moment. I'll definitely pick it up at some point.

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
btw if anyone who already has the game can check whether Spanish text is in the game or not, since I recall someone posted a pic/reddit link of the box saying there is but eshop page doesn't list it

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I'm super excited to dive into this. I picked up the Wii U CE back in the day and never got around to it. Can't wait until it unlocks hopefully at midnight.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, apparently theres no German Texts and just English and French ones. :( Would've loved if there were German ones too.

btw if anyone who already has the game can check whether Spanish text is in the game or not, since I recall someone posted a pic/reddit link of the box saying there is but eshop page doesn't list it
English, French, Japanese, Chinese. Gone trough all the EFIGS languages, non of them are in but English and French.