greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Wales doesn't count apparently,also i won't bother post the flags use your imagination.

But i will post the quote from wiki that apparently some officials some point in time cared about the Wales not being in the flag(who cares btw)

The lack of any Welsh symbol or colours in the flag is a result of Wales having been considered an integral part of the Kingdom of England at the time the flag of Great Britain was created in 1606. Since there is no Welsh element in the Union Jack, Wrexham's Labour MP Ian Lucas proposed on 26 November 2007 in a House of Commons debate that the Union Flag be combined with the Welsh flag to reflect Wales's status within the UK, and that the red dragon be added to the Union Flag's red, white, and blue pattern.[78] He said the Union Jack currently only represented the other three UK nations, and Minister for Culture, Creative Industries and Tourism Margaret Hodge conceded that Lucas had raised a valid point for debate. She said, "the Government is keen to make the Union Flag a positive symbol of Britishness reflecting the diversity of our country today and encouraging people to take pride in our flag." This development sparked design contests with entries from all over the world.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
i won't bother post the flags use your imagination.

IqJHNSL.gif

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Way to tank your own thread damn

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought they should throw some green in there to represent Wales. Like, some extra green stripes to go along with the thin red ones representing Northern Ireland.

Or a whole dragon if they're feeling ballsy.

Oct 22, 2020
St. Patrick's Cross not being symmetrical has always irritated my graphic design sensibilities.

I understand why - it's a heraldry thing that ensures that St. Andrew's Cross (representing Scotland) doesn't appear to be a mere outline of St. Patrick's Cross - but it still annoys my brain.

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
If they change the flag to add Wales, will the hundreds of other Commonwealth countries and American States have to update their flags that incorporate the UK flag?

McSmiggins

Oct 28, 2017
Just remember that in the top left corner the red stripe is at the bottom of the white. The number of them over the coronation became a fun game of "spot the upside down flag"

Also, half mast means the width of the flag below the top of the pole. Have been attacked by our local funeral offices one last year because it was too low

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You know I never really noticed the Welsh dragon's tongue before. Buddy can lick with the best of them.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
hmm i remember learning about this in like.... middle school or something, it's a cool factoid i guess

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
I seem to remember that if you folded an old £5 note in the right way the Queen became Mark Knopfler.

Nov 4, 2017
This thread reminds me of those moments of realization Americans have when they work out "Britain is more than just England?" or "Africa isn't a country?".