Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Rogue is also streaming it:

www.youtube.com

Full Live Stream | Hafthor Bjornsson 501KG Deadlift Attempt

Complete live stream of Hafthor Bjornson’s 501KG Deadlift attempt from Reykjavik, Iceland. Tune in May 2, 2020 at 12:00PM ET. Follow @roguefitness on Instagr...

The previous record is held by Eddie Hall at exactly 500kg (1102lb):

This has been a pretty controversial lift, since Thor is doing it at his home gym and not in a competition. Many other strongmen have weighed in on the subject, with various opinions. Here is Brian Shaw, one of the most successful strongmen in history, discussing his issues with the lift:

Essentially many people believe for a record to be official it needs to be done in a competition setting.

In any case, it will be cool to see the second human in our entire history lift 500kg off the ground.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to agree that it has to be done at the Arnold or another international competition for it to 'count'. Not that I think Thor would cheat or anything, but with something like this you need everything perfectly calibrated and independently verified; it'd be so easy to be 1 or 2kg out when you have like twenty plates on the bar just from regular gym wear and tear on the plates/bar/collars.

Still can't wait to see the big boi do it anyway. That 470 he pulled recently FLEW up.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the need for competition settings, but I kind of wish they just let Usain Bolt run 100m on his own to see how low he could go. Imagine that dude running a 9.49.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
The way that dude collapsed after lifting that thing was scary. I felt fear for his knees.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to agree that it has to be done at the Arnold or another international competition for it to 'count'. Not that I think Thor would cheat or anything, but with something like this you need everything perfectly calibrated and independently verified; it'd be so easy to be 1 or 2kg out when you have like twenty plates on the bar just from regular gym wear and tear on the plates/bar/collars.

Still can't wait to see the big boi do it anyway. That 470 he pulled recently FLEW up.
Apparently they're going to weigh the calibrated plates on camera.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently they're going to weigh the calibrated plates on camera.

That's good to hear. With official meets not being an option right now it seems like they're doing everything they can to make this legit.

Honestly, I think we all know he can do it. Even if it doesn't happen today, it's not far off. By the time it's safe to hold proper official meets again he'll probably be pulling 520+ :P

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That's crazy. Agreed it needs to be in a competition setting, everything properly calibrated etc.

I've seen some of Eddie Hall's videos, they're quite entertaining. Dude is super down to earth and easy going.

www.youtube.com

Eddie 'The Beast' Hall

This is the Youtube channel of Eddie 'The Beast' Hall, The World's Strongest Man 2017. Subscribe to my channel for the latest videos of my journey of being t...

This one was funny. He swapped diets for the day with his wife. So 8,000 calories down to 1,200 and vice versa.

www.youtube.com

Strongman swaps diet with wife for a day | Ft Eddie Hall

Watch my wife consume my diet for a day eating nearly 8000calories and also watch me almost die from starvation... 1200 calories for me😢 Thanks for watching...

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that Thor will try a 4th attempt if he hits 501 easy on his 3rd, imagine him getting 510 or even 520...
I'm with matrix-cat... I think he's going to save that for a real comp after decimating the 501 today. I'd love to see his real deal max though.

I could be way off thinking he's going to crush this today. The deadlift is a strange lift, a couple pounds can be the difference between a smooth pull and a failed attempt.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the need for competition settings, but I kind of wish they just let Usain Bolt run 100m on his own to see how low he could go. Imagine that dude running a 9.49.
Surely for Bolt and other track runners you get a lot of speed racing the other competitors? But I dunno how common it is for athletes to break their PB's in training, I imagine not.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surely for Bolt and other track runners you get a lot of speed racing the other competitors? But I dunno how common it is for athletes to break their PB's in training, I imagine not.
it rarely happens and certainly not world records in track and field. you prepare your body to peak at the exact right time which you never do in training. you change your diet and workout regimen (and lots of other things) before an event,. you have doctors monitoring your values and they help you adjust them. it's a lot of work and planning. there's absolutely no way usain bold ever ran faster than his world record in training.

Last edited:

Seanjeezy

Oct 30, 2017
Seattle
I'm with matrix-cat... I think he's going to save that for a real comp after decimating the 501 today. I'd love to see his real deal max though.

I could be way off thinking he's going to crush this today. The deadlift is a strange lift, a couple pounds can be the difference between a smooth pull and a failed attempt.

Definitely crushed it lol that looked just as smooth as his 470

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OmKTf5I.png

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
Amazing, amazing lift. That 501 looked so good. I wanted to see the 520 attempt, but understand him calling it. can't wait to see what his max will end up being.

Eddie's out there claiming he could've pulled 550, like dude 500 nearly killed you.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Why do these strongmen always have giant beer bellys?
They have huge stomach muscles and a little excess fat. There is a YouTube video of Eddie Hall doing gymnastics and he puts on a leotard and with it stretched over his stomach you can see the outline of each abdominal of his six pack.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
They have huge stomach muscles and a little excess fat. There is a YouTube video of Eddie Hall doing gymnastics and he puts on a leotard and with it stretched over his stomach you can see the outline of each abdominal of his six pack.
I think I read that excess HGH is absorbed by your intestines and causes them to swell (HGH Gut?)

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Just catching up with this now after sleeping through it live.

Goddamn, that insane weight makes a standard barbell bend like a deadlift bar; he pulls like four inches before the weights even leave the floor. And he SMOKED it! Beautiful smooth, fast rep, no hitching like Eddie's. To think that he's still only 31. He'll be in his lifting prime for at least another five years, maybe ten, and he's already pulling five hundo. I think he probably had 510 in him today but this is one of those situations where he might as well hold back and just spend the next few years breaking his own record kilo by kilo if there's no one to challenge him.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
That's such an incomprehensible amount of weight. Like 800 lbs and 1200 lbs seems the same to me because it's so far out of my realm of understanding.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

This seems like a bad idea. Partly because I don't want to see Thor getting injured when he's in world-beating form, but also... does either of them actually know how to fight? They're strongmen, not boxers. I feel like they're going to throw a few cannonballs and then gas out before the first round's over :P

Also I don't want to see my two giant dads fighting. I thought they were friends, or at least friendly?

Jac_Solar

Oct 28, 2017
Incredible.

But I was wondering, a few months ago, Thor shrunk like 20-30% seemingly overnight. Then he was suddenly huge again. I don't follow him that closely but I've never seen anything like that before. Does anyone know what that was about?