mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
ilovelibraries.org

R. L. Stine on the Librarian Who Turned Him Into a Writer - I Love Libraries

R. L. Stine has been scaring kids for 30 years with his Goosebumps series of horror books for young readers. But Goosebumps may not have existed without a librarian. Stine credits a librarian in Columbus, Ohio, with introducing him to Ray Bradbury and other writers as a youth. He says their...

R. L. Stine has been scaring kids for 30 years with his Goosebumps series of horror books for young readers. But Goosebumps might not have existed without a librarian. Stine credits a librarian in Columbus, Ohio, with introducing him to Ray Bradbury and other writers as a youth. He says their works scared and mesmerized him, turning him into a lifelong reader and eventually a writer.

This Banned Books Week is the perfect time for readers of all ages to escape into Stine's gleefully terrifying books. Goosebumps has been challenged and banned in some schools and libraries across the U.S. over concerns that its stories can be too scary for kids. For some, that's the point.

"Fear is at the heart of Goosebumps, a series that acts in the same way that immunizations do, and it's just as mandatory for children's health," says author Alissa Nutting. "It gives them a small dose of scary and lets them produce needed antibodies towards fear, book after book, so that they slowly become less affected."

Top 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books: 1990-1999

ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom (OIF) receives reports from libraries, schools, and the media on attempts to ban books in communities across the country. We compile lists of challenged books in order to inform the public about censorship efforts that affect libraries and schools. This list...

Untitled.png

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Remember that book where the girl finds out her librarian is a monster and he gets invited over for dinner and it turns out the whole family was monsters and they eat him?

That was pretty sick.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I forgot what it was but there was a children's book I read that was about an elf who got bullied by other elves and then befriended a goblin.

And then in the end he uh vores them and becomes a goblin. Really weird.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
its funny because those scary scories to tell at night books were way more fucked up and those were easily avaible in school

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Christian parents in the 90s were paranoid. No Pokemon, no Zelda, no mainstream music, etc, etc.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I forgot what it was but there was a children's book I read that was about an elf who got bullied by other elves and then befriended a goblin.

And then in the end he uh vores them and becomes a goblin. Really weird.

Are you sure it was a children's book and not some weird online fan fiction?

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Christian parents in the 90s were paranoid. No Pokemon, no Zelda, no mainstream music, etc, etc.

My parents were weirdly selective about that. When it came to video games, stuff like Heroes of Might and Magic and Disciples series were fine despite containing plenty of magic and literal demon factions, and books I read were not subjected to any kind of scrutiny at all so I went wild those, but good heavens the vetting of movies and TV for anything inproper could get intense. Music was the worst, it sometimes felt like almost any music could be enough to materialize Satan to my room if I was allowed to listen to it.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
These boxarts were legendary in the 90s. Some 90s people were just weak-ass by looking at it (And probably still is)

iu
These covers were eye catching but often totally bullshit, I remember being so pissed reading this book:

and finding out the blob monster only appears in the end and the book is really about a magic typewriter that brings things written on it to life.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
These books sold like gangbusters at my school book fair. I never had the attention span to read em and just collected them for the covers... I will say that the television show had moments that approached the greatness of Are You Afraid of the Dark, like when a demon mask fuses to a kids head.

OP
OP
mbpm

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
These covers were eye catching but often totally bullshit, I remember being so pissed reading this book:

and finding out the blob monster only appears in the end and the book is really about a magic typewriter that brings things written on it to life.
The book was like the blob monster is a writer and just has a blob eat things at the end or something. Weird story idea lol

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your Sleep is not on the list is because it was a lesser known horror book for kids. But man, some of those poems were gory AF.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
The 90s were a era of hysteria

Even Judy Blume books were banned. It was a ridiculous time

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020
I still don't understand how horror functions in text form so this seems so weird to me

I've been more scared reading things like IT as a teenager alone in the dark than with many horror movies.

Horror games, on the other hand, are something I usually can't bring myself to endure, and VR is a whole other level of stress.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I accidentally got some Christopher Pike books removed from our library because I was telling another kid it might be too scary for them and describing a scene where a head was found decapitated and stuffed into a mail box.

I still feel bad about that :/

Dec 30, 2020

But then the Goosebumps movie made it awesome by essentially using that EXACT story arc, including the blob showing up at the end

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
These boxarts were legendary in the 90s. Some 90s people were just weak-ass by looking at it (And probably still is)

iu

GB books were meh. But the boxart was legendary. Any one of those I ould hang in my room as a poster.

I fid it ironic that apparetly animorphs was never banned despite, you know, being essentially Game of thrones for preteens.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Remember that book where the girl finds out her librarian is a monster and he gets invited over for dinner and it turns out the whole family was monsters and they eat him?

That was pretty sick.

There was also the one about the two kids who get menaced in an amusement park by all sorts of oddities and are scared shitless and it turns out the kids are robots who were designed to playtest the park.

Don't think in retrospect that Stine was a fan of robot rights.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Give Yourselves Goosebumps were my go to stories, I loved making the different choices and seeing what happens.

The 90s were a great time for moral panics.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
GB books were meh. But the boxart was legendary. Any one of those I ould hang in my room as a poster.

I fid it ironic that apparetly animorphs was never banned despite, you know, being essentially Game of thrones for preteens.

Almost everyone who read Animorphs burned out long before the series got to that point, honestly.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously? I loved those. I read them when I was like 10 or something, must have like 20-30 of those books on my parent's home. I remember having a blast reading them but I don't think I was ever scared.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Almost everyone who read Animorphs burned out long before the series got to that point, honestly.

I don't really think that's true and it got to that point very early; book #8 or something was Erek the android having his pacifist programming deactivated and brutally massacring an entire group of aliens and it's depicted as something quite shocking and violent. It's just that most of those elements were a lot less overt than "look at this scary monster on the book cover" with Goosebumps where it's easy for some parent to instantly judge.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
My school library carried them in the 90's and they were greatly responsible for getting me to actually read. Seeing some of the covers activates my nostalgia receptors.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I still wish I had my original copy of that book. The stories were not really scary but that art was something else.

A lot of them were like kind of spooky but not that bad, then randomly ended with a jarring "and then there was a monster and it killed him the end". It was weird.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
My school had shelves full of Goosebumps books, granted this was the early 2000s so maybe the paranoia simmered down after the 90s passed.

I do remember renting the audiobook tapes that Disney made, they were campy for sure but to a kid it elevated the scariness of the books. My hairs get a raise to this day listening to them still tbh.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I always thought they weren't scary enough. I went directly to Fear Street and Christopher Pike. Then Stephen King and Anne Rice by the time I got to junior high.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
There was also the one about the two kids who get menaced in an amusement park by all sorts of oddities and are scared shitless and it turns out the kids are robots who were designed to playtest the park.

That's some Battlestar Galactica and Westworld type shit, lol

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Wasn't that plotpoint reused for one of the Choose Your Own Adventure GBs as a bad end?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The one with the werewolf will always be my favorite because of that really stupid twist. It inspired me

OP
OP
mbpm

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The one with the werewolf will always be my favorite because of that really stupid twist. It inspired me
Which one, there were at least 2 lol

As a kid I liked the Werewolf in the Swamp one bc in the end the kid turns into a werewolf himself after a bite and is just completely cool with it. Just runs with his dog and its a happy ending

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the Goosebumps book that tends to stick in my mind for whatever reason was the one where the main character thinks this boy and his family who seemed to suddenly move next door out of nowhere is a ghost and the twist is that she and her family were the actual ghosts and they had died in a fire like a decade or two ago.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
the Goosebumps book that tends to stick in my mind for whatever reason was the one where the main character thinks this boy and his family who seemed to suddenly move next door out of nowhere is a ghost and the twist is that she and her family were the actual ghosts and they had died in a fire like a decade or two ago.

Isn't that a certain film with Nicole Kidman?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that a certain film with Nicole Kidman?

You're thinking of The Others, where Nicole Kidman moves into a house she thinks is haunting her and her kids but really she murdered her kids and they're all ghosts haunting the house's current owners. It's kind of the same plot arc but within one house instead of next door neighbors.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Camp is being terrorized by a werewolf or some kinda monster, turns out it was the counselors or something. When the reveal it was all to fuck with the main character to see how tough it is, they also reveal that his parent are going to investigate the creatures of any planet.... earth. Like huh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Camp is being terrorized by a werewolf or some kinda monster, turns out it was the counselors or something. When the reveal it was all to fuck with the main character to see how tough it is, they also reveal that his parent are going to investigate the creatures of any planet.... earth. Like huh.

Welcome to Camp Nightmare was probably the book that broke me on reading Goosebumps books sequentially. Once that bullshit ending dropped I read the first page of every Goosebumps book before the rest of the book.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
The greatest Goosebumps story was "ghost beach". 7-8 year old me absolutely did not see that twist coming. Had me shook.

Also, RL Stine was milking a hell of a cash cow pumping one of these books out every month.