Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Windows 11 Recall is exclusive to Snapdragon X processors only because Intel and AMD chips do not meet the minimum hardware requirements of 40 TOPs.

Looks like time to buy a windows laptop is now before you become bff with the NSA.

Welkins

Apr 7, 2021
Ok so it requires a snapdragon processor per the tweets article. For now it wont apply to anyone else. Guess thats why they have those new surface laptops

PleaseBeKind

Oct 31, 2023
has linux also been compromised by all this craziness? otherwise a linux laptop would be a nice alternative for a "lightweight" option (i.e., no bloat, no deceptive fancy features)

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
They also stated that everything is stored/processed locally (nothing sent to the cloud and they won't use any of the data to train their AI), it's only for ARM-based Windows, and you can create blocklists so it doesn't record anything from any application you might choose to block. I imagine you can probably outright disabled the feature as well whether "easily" via settings or something like a group policy/regedit.

Missing a lot of key info in the OP.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Companies are going to fucking love this. This shit already exists but making it more mainstream is just fuck you.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
MS will use this to train their AI on your work so they can replace you in the near future.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
This. Have to get a Snapdragon-powered Surface device.

The article says that the only reason this limitation exists currently is that only the new Snapdragon X-powered laptops have the NPU power to support it, but Lunar Lake also cracks 40 TOPS and is due out in 3Q 2024. I can't find info on if Recall is actually an ARM-specific feature, or if it's just on Snapdragon X now because Lunar Lake isn't out yet.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
The article says that the only reason this limitation exists currently is that only the new Snapdragon X-powered laptops have the NPU power to support it, but Lunar Lake also cracks 40 TOPS and is due out in 3Q 2024. I can't find info on if Recall is actually an ARM-specific feature, or if it's just on Snapdragon X now because Lunar Lake isn't out yet.

Yeah...I'm sure it could expand in the future to x86 CPUs. But right now it looks like they're focusing on their own hardware.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
So, it's local and can be blocked as well. This seems like a much expanded on timeline feature, and honestly I think timeline is great.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
nvidia gpu and hdr support cannot come soon enough for Linux

I am so ready to drop Windows for at least 95% of my use cases.

more context

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was more effort when it comes to create threads for things like these. I watched a few videos/interviews about this and it seems:

1. they claim that is hardware based, and it requires their NPU
  2. that the data is encrypted
  3. the feature is opt in and can be turned off
  4. it can be customized to have not capture thing you deem out of bounds (bank accounts, etc)
  5. and that no data will be sent to MS

Is it a fair argument to be skeptical that MS will abide to this? Of fucking course. But let at least work from the baseline of what they claim it will do.

We'll see in years time when the class action lawsuit happens over this, and the congressional hearings.

Nov 4, 2017
has linux also been compromised by all this craziness? otherwise a linux laptop would be a nice alternative for a "lightweight" option (i.e., no bloat, no deceptive fancy features)
The short answer is "no, but". If you're using well-known and reviewed open source software, you should be fine. It's harder to spy on people when anybody in the world can look at the code. There were some dramas with Ubuntu and Amazon a little while back, but I'm not too familiar with it.

I use Linux as a daily driver (Fedora these days) and it's brilliant. I honestly have more dramas with Windows not working properly or as desired. The only hiccup I've had on Linux in recent years was transitioning to Wayland with an Nvidia card. If you have an AMD GPU, it's seemless. Gaming is also great these days thanks to Proton. Look at how many people are loving their Steam Deck. It's been years since I had a game that wouldn't work on Linux. I think most of the dramas other people encounter are due to anticheat measures not playing ball. While it's far from perfect, I think Linux is very usable as a daily driver for most people with a few adjustments.

If you're curious, I'd strongly suggest trying a Linux distro on an old piece of hardware or a VM, or maybe try dual booting if you can. Anybody who says it is too difficult or requires too much tinkering obviously hasn't used a mainstream distro in the past 5 years. I would argue that distros like Ubuntu, Pop!OS, Mint etc are easier to setup than Windows because they don't try to railroad you into setting up an account or bombard you with pages of telemetry options. There's also some very cool Linux enthusiasts on this forum who can answer questions or help out. FOSS is very much a community-focused scene.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was more effort when it comes to create threads for things like these. I watched a few videos/interviews about this and it seems:

4. it can be customized to have not capture thing you deem out of bounds (bank accounts, etc)

Is it a fair argument to be skeptical that MS will abide to this? Of fucking course. But let at least work from the baseline of what they claim it will do.

We'll see in years time when the class action lawsuit happens over this, and the congressional hearings.
Oh. Phew.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

It wouldn't be difficult to tell if that data is being sent off your device anyway.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft said at the event that "Intel, Qualcomm, and AMD are all in." And to expect more from them later this year. So don't think this is a ARM thing only.

Sure it's local only. But sometimes I let other people use my computer, and I don't want them having access to the history of everything I do on the computer. Supposedly there will be controls to turn it off. But that "supposedly" is holding up a lot of weight there. I guess we will see. Microsoft doesn't have a great history of letting people easily turn off features that Microsoft wants on, at least without having the business edition.

I'm a bit conflicted because the ARM hardware seems pretty cool. I'm all for more efficiency and better battery life. Also some of the AI demos that used the AI hardware were pretty neat, like the live translation stuff. But all the stuff about "capturing your data" was a big no thanks.

Last edited:

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft said at the event that "Intel, Qualcomm, and AMD are all in." And to expect more from them later this year. So don't think this is a ARM thing only.

Sure it's local only. But sometimes I let other people use my computer, and I don't want them having access to the history of everything I do on the computer. Supposedly there will be controls to turn it off. But that "supposedly" is holding up a lot of weight there. I guess we will see. Microsoft doesn't have a great history of letting people easily turn off features that Microsoft wants on, at least without having the business edition.

I'm a bit conflicted because the ARM hardware seems pretty cool. I'm all for more efficiency and better battery life. Also some of the AI demos that used the AI hardware were pretty neat, like the live translation stuff. But all the stuff about "capturing your data" was a big no thanks.
If someone was so inclined they could do this to you now in a way you're likely going to be very uncomfortable with. This feature or not, don't let someone use your computer, and more specifically your main user profile that you don't trust if you are worried about that kind of thing imo.

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not kidding you when I say the current W11 team doesn't know how to code, so whatever feature they're teasing will never be anything more than stuff they learned to put together through Youtube videos.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely love this on my work computer. I don't know how many hours I waste looking for stuff forgetting where the hell it was. I think this will be huge.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, with all the telemetry shit in modern Windows MS already knows everything you see and do on the PC. This just turns it into a feature the rest of us can use.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely love this on my work computer. I don't know how many hours I waste looking for stuff forgetting where the hell it was. I think this will be huge.

While I wouldn't use this, I think a lot of people would and would like it. Most people aren't paranoid and like their PC being helpful.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I mean....seriously?

Setting up macros is one thing......but this?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
From Microsoft

What privacy controls does Recall offer?
Recall is a key part of what makes Copilot+ PCs special, and Microsoft built privacy into Recall's design from the ground up. On Copilot+ PCs powered by a Snapdragon® X Series processor, you will see the Recall taskbar icon after you first activate your device. You can use that icon to open Recall's settings and make choices about what snapshots Recall collects and stores on your device. You can limit which snapshots Recall collects; for example, you can select specific apps or websites visited in a supported browser to filter out of your snapshots. In addition, you can pause snapshots on demand from the Recall icon in the system tray, clear some or all snapshots that have been stored, or delete all the snapshots from your device.

Recall also does not take snapshots of certain kinds of content, including InPrivate web browsing sessions in Microsoft Edge. It treats material protected with digital rights management (DRM) similarly; like other Windows apps such as the Snipping Tool, Recall will not store DRM content.

Note that Recall does not perform content moderation. It will not hide information such as passwords or financial account numbers. That data may be in snapshots that are stored on your device, especially when sites do not follow standard internet protocols like cloaking password entry.

How is your data protected when you use Recall?
Recall snapshots are kept on Copilot+ PCs themselves, on the local hard disk, and are protected using data encryption on your device and (if you have Windows 11 Pro or an enterprise Windows 11 SKU) BitLocker. Recall screenshots are only linked to a specific user profile and Recall does not share them with other users, make them available for Microsoft to view, or use them for targeting advertisements. Screenshots are only available to the person whose profile was used to sign in to the device. If two people share a device with different profiles they will not be able to access each other's screenshots. If they use the same profile to sign-in to the device then they will share a screenshot history. Otherwise, Recall screenshots are not available to other users or accessed by other applications or services.

www.microsoft.com

Shop Copilot+ PCs | Microsoft

Shop the newest Windows Copilot+ PCs on the official Windows site.

bm1677

Oct 28, 2017
Blegh. Sorry, but I have little trust in Microsoft for this information to never be accessible by anyone but myself. Can't wait to hear about the new massive data breach that leaks everyone's complete computer history - every keystroke, every mouse movement, every file accessed, every word read...

Sounds like it's at least hardware specific and avoidable (at least right now?). Hopefully it is very clear in the future if the new CPU I want to buy is going to try and collect all my data if I'm not vigilent about making sure all this crap is opted out of.

I have not upgrade my main pc to W11 as it would require me to root around the bios to figure out if those TPM/Secureboot things are even options avialable, but with each passing month I feel less and less incentivized to even bother. W10 might be the last Windows OS I bother with at this rate.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Perhaps I might consider Windows 11 IoT but stuff like this is what makes me lean into moving to Linux. Only problem is my job requires certain Windows programs and although there is dual boot it's kind of a hassle. perhaps I should just get a dedicated work laptop.

Jan 20, 2024
lol that's dumb as hell. I don't what quote unquote safety protocols microsoft will claim to have or what the apologists shill; there's no way I'd ever trust it.