Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Hello Lawsuit.

Bonus points if they bought Short Dated out of the money Call Options.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Diller told the WSJ that it was "simply a lucky bet," adding that the three businessmen "acted on no information of any kind from anyone" and that it was "one of those coincidences."

Sure, just a lucky bet four days prior.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
*Finds a penny in the street*

"Ah, my lucky day. I should go buy $30 million of Activision stock!"

I mean, sounds plausible.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Some people find a quarter on the floor and some find a millions of dollars in stock calls 🤷🏽‍♂️

Trust

Jun 10, 2018
American businessmen Barry Diller, David Geffen, and Alexander von Furstenberg are reportedly under investigation for insider trading, having allegedly bought a large quantity of Activision Blizzard shares just ahead of the company being acquired by Microsoft.

Those are the 3 businessmen

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
KaleidoscopicGoodnaturedGharial-size_restricted.gif

Wiggle

Nov 25, 2019
Question: Legally, who is the problematic one is these cases, the buyers of the shares or the person who tipped them off? Meaning is there anything illegal about buying shares based off of inside information or is the criminal action the revealing of those secrets by someone on the inside?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Question: Legally, who is the problematic one is these cases, the buyers of the shares or the person who tipped them off? Meaning is there anything illegal about buying shares based off of inside information or is the criminal action the revealing of those secrets by someone on the inside?
Both. You cannot provide Material, Non-Public Information to others and you cannot act on Material, Non-Public information if it is provided to you.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure these uber wealthy white collar criminals will face severe consequences.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
You guys don't think maybe Bobby Kotick might be involved in something dodgy here...? No, surely not. I don't believe it. Not Saint Bobby.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Both, insider trading is illegal

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I can see it both ways. Chances are they got information about the deal then bought there shares. But i can also see them buying the share at the cheap expecting Activision to rebound

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
God, microsoft is going to have the scour the upper echelons of that company with a blowtorch aren't they?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The options they bought needed Activision's stock to lose another third of its value for them to lose anything, after already falling from about $100 per share to ~$60, and the odds that would happen were not all that great, whether that relief came in the form of Kotick resigning, acquisition, or just better business as usual. These people are so filthy rich they can chat about it one day at brunch and buy it all on a lark.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
To rich man jail you go… Or paying a fine. Whatever, we know justice isn't going to be forthcoming one way or the other.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably just be forced to sell the shares at whatever cost they paid and pay a small fine. Maybe if they find proof of collision it'll force Bobby out prior to the finalization of the acquisition.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Wow I thought this was another thing going on since IGN's title is uhh…something. Seemed like multiple issues, but it's just a clickbaity headline haha.

Report: Microsoft's Activision Blizzard Deal Being Investigated for Insider Trading

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Cool, cool, cool.

It's so encouraging that we all know with absolutely certainty that nothing will happen to these people. /cry

If I, as a person with absolutely zero political experience or desire to be a politician, ever found myself somehow in the running for President, my platform would basically be "get me the house and senate and I will come down on the 1% like the wrath of God above. They thought it was bad pre-Reagan? Just wait."

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That was a different time. Everything changed after the 2008 financial collapse and the Obama administration refusing to throw the book at people was what changed everything.
I think in that case it was too many people to throw the book at(but they def shouldve), but I dont think this is the same as that, insider trading stuff gets people fucked all the time.