ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that there's a generation of gamers out there right now who got into the medium after the sixth generation of consoles (PS2, Xbox, GameCube) weighs on my mind sometimes. I'm of the opinion that those of us who were gaming throughout the sixth gen, regardless of one's age at that time, are fortunate to have experienced it while it was happening.

Don't get me wrong. This past gen has been rather great, overall, and the new generation that has just begun seems to be heading in a good direction as well. We arguably have more quality games to choose from across a wide variety of genres and platforms now than we ever have before. That said, the sixth gen marked the end of an era of games being complete packages that were finalized the moment they were pressed to disc. So many of the business models and shady practices that enthusiasts like us tend to bemoan today (e.g. microtransactions, massive day 1 patches, games shipping in a broken state, freemium, GaaS shenanigans, etc.) simply did not exist during the sixth gen. They couldn't have, mainly because that was the last time during which consoles did not allow downloadable patches/updates for games.

8h58i0acc6011.jpg

This picture shows up a lot online when discussing the PS2's legendary library, and this was only one year into its historic run.

In my view, the sixth gen of consoles and especially PS2's dominant run during that time was a remarkably prosperous time for gaming. The output from first-, second-, and third-party developers back then was simply astounding both in terms of quality and quantity, and development costs and timelines at that time occupied a sweet spot that allowed for AA to exist while giving AAA games the budgets that they needed to really push boundaries as well. Every genre under the sun was well served throughout the sixth gen, and usually across multiple installments of many beloved franchises. Yes, back then a developer could release 2-4 mainline entries of a successful AAA franchise within a single console generation.

To this day I love buying the occasional PS2 game online and adding it to my library because every game is exactly how it always was. A complete product that remains unchanged since the day it was mastered. I often worry about the state of playing and/or collecting games from the seventh gen onward down the line since so many of them rely on first-party servers and online patches to even function properly. For a lot of modern games the version of a game that's on the disc is practically worthless compared to what the game ends up being after a year's worth of patches and updates that might someday become unavailable.

HmEPBJN.jpg

A somewhat recent haul from a retro game store in Naples, FL.

Having lived through the sixth gen during my high school and college years, I can certainly recognize that nostalgia plays a role here. After all, those were some of the most carefree years of my life in terms of gaming, so of course the games of that time are going to resonate that much extra with me. But I think that the unique strengths of that generation of consoles are quantifiable and undeniable even when you remove personal nostalgia from the equation. It was a time before a sea change that brought with it both positives and negatives, and as such it marked the end of an era of traditional games retail that I miss in a lot of ways but am grateful that I got to experience firsthand.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
Games *could* ship broken but then were irredeemable. I'd like to say that made it happen less often but I think moreso it's that those games quickly faded and aren't remembered by more than a handful of niche fans.
Still, it is amazing to be able to go back and get a complete game. Nowadays it'd be shocking if a game remained unpatched. Like, see reactions to ff7r and how covid/factors have kept it to one extremely late patch.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I have over 700 PS2 game, and as much I love ps1 era, nothing will top ps2 ever for me in any genre of game.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I was getting into my teen years and didn't play as much this Gen. mainly just had a GC for the resident evils. My friends had ps2s but I just wasn't really interested in games as heavily until re4 and the Wii coming out

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
There were so many games during that gen that I wish could get patches. We also paid full price for sequels that sometimes felt like expansions. There weren't many games less than $50 on the shelves back in those days. I think strengths and opportunities often mirror each other. Don't get me wrong....I loved that gen. Tied with Sega Genesis/Super Nintendo generation as my favorite in 40 years of gaming. There was a lot of magic during that generation as the gaming industry hit a new maturation point. I just wouldn't want to go back. Games are bigger, more complex and are going to be susceptible to bugs today regardless of the options for patches. But yeah...great fucking era of gaming.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
We'll never see that level of quality, variety and chance taking ever again.

Every one of those games in that graphic in the OP are vastly different from one another. Look at the AAA space these days and just weep.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I used to write for a game site back then, and I remember our launch date PS2 could not run ICO. After a few minutes of play it would just glitch.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
There's never been a better time than now for gaming.

I lived through that gen and honestly I didn't like it as much as the one before it (PSX, Saturn, N64). I think that's mostly due to JRPG seemingly dying/losing variety that I enjoyed during the PS2, Xbox, GC era.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Sixth gen was my favorite gen, my favorite types of games are 3D platformers and this was the best gen for those. I could see the case for PS2 being the best but the Gamecube was personally my favorite console ever. A lot of my favorite games are from this gen like Pac Man World 2/3 (I just have a lot of nostalgia for 3), Jak and Daxter, Jak 3, Super Monkey Ball 2, Animal Crossing, and a bunch of other great ones like Sly 1/2, Jak 2/X, Ratchet and Clank 2, Wind Waker, SA2/Sonic Heroes, there are just so many.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best part of playing games today is that not only can I play all the old shit you used to, but I also have several dozen highly curated lists defining which are the best of the best.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The PS2 was the height of gaming consoles... and then you still have the GameCube and XBOX. I bought so many games that generations, there was a full price game worth buying time and time again.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I'm happy to have lived through the PS2-era, and through every gen since the start of the modern era of games in 1983. I'm very lucky my life has lined up with my hobby.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Used games of that era became unbelievably cheap and easy to access. Hundreds upon hundreds of PS2 games easily available. You could walk into a Softies or EB with $50 and come out with 5-10 excellent games every month. Just completely mindboggling. The most diverse console library in history backed up by the PS1, completely absurd.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Used games of that era became unbelievably cheap and easy to access. Hundreds upon hundreds of PS2 games easily available. You could walk into a Softies or EB with $50 and come out with 5-10 excellent games every month. Just completely mindboggling. The most diverse console library in history backed up by the PS1, completely absurd.
Oh, man. I would go into stores at the beginning of the seventh gen and clean house when it came to PS2 games. They were practically liquidating them at that time, which was hog heaven for me since there were still so many games in the PS2's stupidly rich library that I needed to acquire.

Oct 27, 2017
That generation was so satisfying.

Buying a game then rushing home and starting to play without patches or installing was such a great feeling.

Oct 28, 2017
What stands out for me most from that gen is actually that it was the start of online console gaming and I was one of the first UK users of Xbox Live. Everyone had a headset and used it publically. I was a teen but most other users were older and there was no to little trolling. It was like the utopian ideal of online gaming. I even ended up playing with some famous British comedians a few times (and it wasn't even a publicity stunt or part of their social media outreach, they just liked playing games!) Now I barely play online because I don't have the requisite group of close friends in my time zone.

Jul 26, 2018
I just don't agree with this opinion whenever I see it. We live in an age where AA games have been all but erased from the market, which alone makes it impossible for right now to be the best time for games ever. That's only one reason among MANY.
Indies have supplanted and exceeded AA in terms of output, creativity and quality I'd say. You also still have a ton of AA stuff coming out still.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I had a PS2 from launch but didn't play it much. I was a Gamecube man first. Xbox man second. PS2 man a distant 3rd. Had it for Final Fantasy games and then they put out my least favorite mainline FF in X and I kinda started feeling like Playstation just wasn't for me right around that time.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I needed a janky scotch tape fix to get some PS2 games (and PS1 games) to run on my PS2. It wasn't all flawless.

Indie games are filling that space pretty well, I'd say.
And yeah, there's a lot of stuff you wouldn't see today in that era, but also a lot of stuff you'd never see in that era today, as a function of vastly more powerful hardware. Some of it is thatthere's a shitton of games that don't need to be $50 dollars, can be sold for cheaper and have a smaller scope with more variety, and that there's a lot more players that madcap ideas can get published more easily.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I still have a about 20 PS2 games. Looking back, I can't believe I purchased a PS2 like 7 months after it launched. That's the only console I've every purchased so early in its life span. I eventually traded my phat PS2 for the slim one.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
I definitely agree OP. There was no way for people to defend the terrible practices that companies get away today back then but companies hadn't figured out that they could do and get away with this stuff yet. It was the last time that the saying "a delayed game is eventually good..." applied to the industry overall, now you just release a game in whatever state and force the user to basically download the entire game day one anyway to have a working product.
Plus there was so much genre diversity back then, tons of racers, platformers, and music games, the list goes on. There was something releasing all the time for fans of basically any genre whereas now it's all shooter, open world, or open world shooter.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
80% of my favorite PS2 games are available on PS4/PC, but often much better (hi Odin Sphere), so I don't feel the same.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It was honestly just a great gen in general. GameCube and Xbox also have great libraries, just not anywhere near as large. The only gen where I've owned all three consoles.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

Every one of those games in that graphic in the OP are vastly different from one another. Look at the AAA space these days and just weep.
About half of those franchises are still alive or had new releases this last gen.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Oh my yes. That was the best feeling, going into EB or even the blockbuster bin and picking up stuff like dark cloud 2 for $10 or suikoden 3 for $20. Truly the GOAT.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
What? No way. It was good, but not anywhere as amazing as you're saying it was. This is horribly nostalgic, and tainted with rose colored glasses.

More often than not the best thing you got was a really nice cover for $60 bucks cause the game was always destined for the pick bin.

It had a good set of launch games, but games nowadays are way better on so many levels. I'd argue ps3/x360 was a better generation overall as well - especially the way gaming expanded and had a huge improvement regarding quality of life improvements.

Nah, can't get behind this at all.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Games today are more polished and refined, but there's also less experimentation and unique solutions as a result. This is especially true if you're interested in Japanese games. FF7 Remake and Resident Evil 2 are both amazing, polished games, but nobody is going to put out a Shadow Hearts or Fatal Frame to go alongside them.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Take a look at Steam, the amount of quality and variety coming each month is insane and would be unthinkable on PS2.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I lived through the PS2 generation... I owned an Xbox and a PS2 and quite frankly I think you are viewing this through Rose colored glasses...

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would debate if I could, but the GIF in the OP says it all. There's pretty much nothing comparable to living through a period where GTA3, Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Silent Hill 2 released within a few months of each other. So many of those games were the blueprint for almost all that was to come for the next 10 years.

What the GIF doesn't tell you is that Halo: Combat Evolved and Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind also released in 2001/2002. Within the span of 12 months we went from having mostly linear level-based games to some of the best that open worlds (or expanded open levels) had to offer.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
I politely disagree, now it's the best time ever to play. PS2 is actually my least preferred era. It's just ugly 3d without the charm of 32 bit games.

There were some great games for sure, but it feels like an era un uninspired platformers, awkward shooters and barebones gta clones.

Psx/saturn and psp/ds were peak experimentation and those are my preferred platforms by far.

Jul 26, 2018
To the people shitting on games now for needing patches and yadda yadda I present you the following

DMC 2
The Getaway 2
Killzone
The Bouncer

All those games and others would be crucified nowadays and need heavy patching to appease consumers.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I politely disagree, now it's the best time ever to play. PS2 is actually my least preferred era. It's just ugly 3d without the charm of 32 bit games.

There were some great games for sure, but it feels like an era un uninspired platformers, awkward shooters and barebones gta clones.

Psx/saturn and psp/ds were peak experimentation and those are my preferred platforms by far.

I'm kind of on the other side--maybe not in gameplay experimentation, but a lot of the PS1 generation is ugly to me in a way that the PS2 generation isn't. Like, there were plenty of games with style in that gen, but I think it was honestly think the 32-bit generation was the ugliest one.

Also a lot of games just played like hot garbage because some people had no clue how to make things work in 3d but it wouldn' t that stop them. And even the games I liked from that gen... are impossible for me to get into again, because quality of life improvements make, say, the original Tomb Raiders hopelessly clunky or the fixed cameras of classic survival horror way too annoying for me.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a special era, but many indies now have greater variety, more content, better graphics, and higher production values than the bulk of PS2 releases.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Games are even better today.

Better quality of life features, a good camera, amazing controls, lots of accessibility options, online play + all the amazing features (party chat, invites, etc.), expansions, 60 FPS, load-times, etc.

Nostalgia is amazing, I get it, but come on lol.

So many of the business models and shady practices that enthusiasts like us tend to bemoan today (e.g. microtransactions, massive day 1 patches, games shipping in a broken state, freemium, GaaS shenanigans, etc.)

I feel like most of these complaints are overblown tbh. Read the reviews, look at Youtube impressions before buying a game. You don't need to buy games day 1, you don't need to pre-order. If a game has features you don't like, don't buy it.

You can still find plenty of great single-player games with a lot of great content. Control, Dishonored, Last of Us, DMCV, God of War, Forza Horizon 4, etc.

For consoles there's plenty of multiplayer games to play that are updated constantly. If I was younger I would've loved that. Rocket League, Fortnite, Warzone, Rainbow Six Siege, etc.

You don't have to play just AAA games. Indie games exist.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Everyone thinks their own formative era was the best one that they were lucky to live through. I prefer to not think this way, it is IMO a bit narcissistic

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to have seen gaming grow from its infancy all the way through now. The PS2 generation was a great generation, but it wasn't the first great one nor will it be the last.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
While I do draw comparisons to the modern era in the OP, I would like to clarify that the intent wasn't to suggest that things were uniformly better back then than they are now. I'm more trying to emphasize how fortunate it is that many of us got to experience that unique period in time because those who were born afterward will never fully know what it was like to be into gaming at that time. It was just a really positive, prosperous period for games and marked the end of a lot of things that we took for granted up to that point as it ended to make room for the seventh gen.

Dec 2, 2020
I lived through the gen and enjoyed games from all the systems especially GameCube. Didn't matter to me who was "dominating".

The industry as a whole was much more open to taking chances but that was before the massive HD development price increase on PS360 and the mega popularity of CoD (and online focused shooters in general) leading to everyone trying to copy.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
That title may invite thread derailment that you didn't intend, and it took me a while to realize you weren't referring to how much more the PS2 sold over its competitors, but just how much it sold in general.

But otherwise, I think you are failing to remove nostalgia despite your best efforts. While I'm decently younger than you (I was in elementary when the 7th gen hit), I still remember what it was like before then. Additionally, everything you're talking about applied to the Wii, which was the only console of that gen I owned. But having seen the rise of mobile while still in middle and high school, I think you're really underestimating the impact access to so many free games had on jobless children. There's also just experiences that flat out didn't exist then, like hopping on a Minecraft server in a group call and just chilling for a few hours. I can't think of anything from the sixth gen that compared to being able to do that every day.