Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to discuss the main reasons why I think this console generation is the worst one.

1. New IP's

This generation's new IP's simply don't compare to the new IP's of previous generations in my opinion, and that disappointing. There are exceptions. Bloodborne, Overwatch, and PUBG are among my favorite games of the generation. But there have been a lot of disappointments. Many of the best games this generation are continuations of IP established last generation. I hope that next gen will bring us exciting new series from all the major publishers.

2. GAAS/Live Service/Microtransactions/Other Nickel & Diming bullshit/AAA Single Player Games Dying

I'm not saying that GAAS is inherently bad. My problem is that it seems like every publisher is after that cash cow. And why wouldn't they? We see thread after thread of *insert publisher here* posting record profits thanks to GAAS titles and Microtransactions. We see several gaming executives announce that they'll shift company focus to pursue this style of game. My problem is that we've reached a point of over saturation, especially in AAA. What does it say about this gen that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order being single player only with no microtransactions makes headlines? It's a problem that I now have to question how whichever game from major publisher is gonna nickel and dime me. Meanwhile, us fans of Single Player titles are left with Japanese publishers, Bethesda, and Some Sony first party devs to pick up the slack.

3. Paid Online

Simple, it's a total ripoff and all the platform holders do it now.

And there you have it. That's my opinionated take on this generation. I hope that next gen will be better for us. I'd also like to point out that even though I think this is the worst gen, I don't think it was god awful. There are plenty of great and amazing games released this go around, but thanks to the reasons above, I feel like I've become less engaged with gaming and that sucks.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean I've been having a great time here on switch but a lot of that stuff is why I don't own any other current consoles. So take that as you will

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
While I can see your point of view, this generation als brought some insane single player experiences and it has brought gaming to the masses more than ever before thanks to games like Fortnite and Minecraft.

And I also feel the microtransaction problems have stagnated a bit. It's mostly cosmetic MTX's these days.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
PS4 has taken the crown from ps2 for me when it comes to quality and variety of games. Making it the best gen. I guess it's a matter of taste.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Maybe broaden your horizon, cause saying only Bloodborne, Overwatch and PUBG(?) are the best new IPs, it does make the gen look bad.

Last edited:

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Nope.
And paid online started last gen.

Micro transactions are mostly cosmetic now.

And you're forgetting the indie front, which is stronger than ever.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Man.

I can understand you being upset with ongoing games...

But this generation gave us some all-time classics. I've never played more amazing games in a generation than this one, lol.

The Switch and the PS4 are crushing it. It's extremely difficult to agree with your take.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The new IP's thing in triple A is simple. Cost a lot of money, a lot of time to develop and publishers are not very risk-averse.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I'd say you could say the same things about the previous generation as well.

It also seems like you're becoming increasingly disillusioned with AAA titles, to which I'd say, look for indies making neat things.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I completely agree. Last gen felt like a perfect balance of "middle-tier" games and cult hits. This gen has good games, no doubt, but it felt more like a part 2 than a new gen.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
For someone who likes Japanese games, comparing this to last gen? Night and day.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Switch makes it the best by default though, portable console games for the first time is choice.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch at least is the best Nintendo console in a while. This generation is pretty great so far on that front.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
Original IPs are far more difficult now and will be worse in the future due to costs of development.

However the production values have went sky high and will likely be even bigger next gen.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're right about lack of new IP's but after playing God of War, Gravity Rush 2... I'm ok if sequels are done right

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of bad shit going on around the industry, no doubt, but in terms of game quality overall? No. I can't call a generation that gave us Bloodborne a bad one.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yes and No,

Yes due to all your listed reasons OP. Especially because they are at full force this generation.

No. Because all this shit start on the last generation, for me, that's the worse.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this gen is a victim of its success.

The game industry is so huge now that investors aren't ignoring it like they used to and all want to make the biggest ROI irrelevant on the quality of the end game output.

Making a great game isn't as important as marketing a game as such it seems.

I don't think it's the worst but I have become far more picker about what games I buy and less naive about mechanics that are there not to aid my enjoyment of a game.

ps3ud0 8)

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, with Switch being the exception, as I consider it Nintendo's best platform since the SNES.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be."

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I've been focusing on AA and indies this gen and so far I'm glad I escaped the AAA gaming hell, I'm having fun discovering innovative games that doesn't try to scam you with MTX every 5 mins.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely agree. I think this gen's highs have been superb, but there aren't enough of them. AAA gaming has become super homogenized and uninspired.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
There are more single player games now than ever before. What amazing new IPs came out last gen? Paid online is valid, but there are many quality free to play games this gen, which wasn't true last gen. Same for GAAS: it used to be a game you could invest 100+ hours into was rare (unless you just wanted to replay it over and over) now there are so many.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It's way better than last gen was. Japanese games actually existing again makes a huge difference.

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming as a Service is absolute garbage and is the direction the industry should not be heading in.

But games like Bloodborne and the Souls/Sekiro series more broadly are like a light shining during this very dark timeline we are in.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like cometic MTX are still an improvement over map packs and season passes.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
No, it isn't. You'll reflect on this mindset in a few years and regret your stance while also condemning that current generation as the "new worst."

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
Well seeing as Bethesda is trying their hand with games as a service... not sure how much we can rely on them :(.
GAAS can apply to single-player games though.

But no, Bethesda is still going hard on single-player these days. In the last three years they've done DOOM, Dishonored 2, Prey (and Prey: Mooncrash), The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein II, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting, but also RAGE 2 is single-player only. Just because they have one big multiplayer game (Fallout 76) and an experimental spinoff (Wolfenstein: Youngblood) doesn't mean they're abandoning single player games.

I imagine the invasion system in DOOM: Eternal is optional, so that can still be single-player only too.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a good gen maybe not for Bethesda games.

Capcom is definitely a highlight

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Like, every company went out of business last gen and everything was a first person shooter that thought it was call of duty that by the end of the generation was also charging money to play the game online if bought used. Things still launched broken and you barely got patches.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My most played game this gen was Destiny 1. Sadly as much as I love new IP, playing with friends online and doing the same shit again gives me more enjoyment!

However, yeah, new IPs have dried up. I hope Microsoft drastically ups its game next gen.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I find that I have plenty to play and I avoid most of the trashy GAAS/MTX games, there have been more than a few classics released as well.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
I'd have to agree soley because i only play XBO and i'm still yet to see/pick an exclusive which blew me away