SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Has anyone ever tried to sign onto their Nintendo.com account at all recently? I clicked on the "Sign In/Sign Up" logo at the top right of the site, took me through accounts.nintendo.com, signed into the through my E-mail account & password, then it tells me to download the Google Authenticator app & enter in the displayed code, as I used to have it. Did that multiple times. Kept getting "The verification code is incorrect" message. And I already have the correct time stamped.

Then I went to where it says "Enter backup code" underneath "If you cannot launch the app, you can sign in by entering a backup code." Tells you to enter one of the backup codes provided when you set up 2-Step Verification. Tried all of them. Kept getting error messages. And it even said at the bottom "2-Step Verification cannot be removed if your backup code cannot be verified."

So now, I'm fucked. Did everything by the book, even when it told me what to do if I had a problem signing into my account. What was Nintendo thinking with this horseshit? What's the point of setting up the 2-Step Verification if it doesn't properly work?! This frustrates me to no end. Has this happened to anyone else for this matter?

Edit for an update: The issue has been resolved. I've contacted Nintendo support about this issue & now have access to my account again. The 2FA process works now.

Last edited:

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
If mine asks for 2FA it's through Google Authenticator and I'm done (or my password). If you didn't save your backup codes for Ninty after this then you're kinda SOL. Best you can get after that is to use your email to resert your password.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Did you set up 2-factor/Google Authenticator on an older device? If so, did you go through the proper process to move over your Google Authenticator stuff to the device you're currently trying to use?

the fact that you're mentioning that you downloaded the app is making me suspect this didn't happen. Apparently this is one of the pitfalls of Google Auth; it's not a Nintendo problem per se.

OP
OP
SpaceCrystal

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Did you set up 2-factor on an older device? If so, did you go through the proper process to move over your Google Authenticator stuff to the device you're currently trying to use?

the fact that you're mentioning that you downloaded the app is making me suspect this didn't happen.

No, I've been using the same device for the past four years since I bought it.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It's odd that you just now downloaded the Google Authenticator app. That's supposed to happen when you first enable 2 step to link the Nintendo account to your Google Auth app, not something you do later when you're trying to log in.

OP
OP
SpaceCrystal

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Did you try whether you can log into your Switch?

Yeah, I can log into there no problem.

It's odd that you just now downloaded the Google Authenticator app. That's supposed to happen when you first enable 2 step to link the Nintendo account to your Google Auth app, not something you do later when you're trying to log in.

I got rid of it earlier because I didn't think that it would be necessary. Didn't have a problem with it earlier, but I now do.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, I can log into there no problem.

I got rid of it earlier because I didn't think that it would be necessary. Didn't have a problem with it earlier, but I now do.
Got rid of what, the GA app? If you ever set anything up on it, you need to keep it there until you unset it. Never ever delete it unless it's empty.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Got rid of what, the GA app? If you ever set anything up on it, you need to keep it there until you unset it. Never ever delete it unless it's empty.
It's bizarre that the backup codes don't work, though.

I feel like I'm missing something here.

SpaceCrystal : You saved those backup codes somewhere when you first set up 2FA, and they don't work? If so, you're certain those are Nintendo codes?

I'm also confused on what's going on with Authenticator. It's my understanding that if you uninstall the app, all the linked accounts go with it, as they're not stored on a server (that would defeat the purpose). This would be obvious, as there should be no displayed codes when you download the app. Did you download the app just now, when you tried to log in to Nintendo? If so, were the codes already there? Or was it already on your phone?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpaceCrystal

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You saved those backup codes somewhere when you first set up 2FA, and they don't work? If so, you're certain those are Nintendo codes?

Unfortunately, I didn't save them.

I'm also confused on what's going on with Authenticator. It's my understanding that if you uninstall the app, all the linked accounts go with it, as they're not stored on a server (that would defeat the purpose).

Yeah, that's just stupid. Nintendo could've set up 2FA the same way other sites & apps have done, by sending you a code through text messaging, e-mail, etc. instead of requiring an app. It's like they didn't think this through.

Did you download the app just now, when you tried to log in to Nintendo? If so, were the codes already there?

Yeah, Google gave me the 6-digit code to sign in, but none of them work.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Not really sure why you decided to call out Nintendo for something which you personally messed up on by not saving codes or maybe the Google Autheitcator app itself is malfunctioning on your device

Yeah, that's just stupid. They could've set up 2FA the same way other sites & apps have done, be sending you a code through text messaging, etc. instead of requiring an app.

Text messaging 2FA is less secure than using an authenticator app.

syncyes

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, that's just stupid. Nintendo could've set up 2FA the same way other sites & apps have done, by sending you a code through text messaging, e-mail, etc. instead of requiring an app. It's like they didn't think this through.

www.cnet.com

Do you use SMS for two-factor authentication? Don't.

Do 2FA the right way to keep hackers at bay.

OP
OP
SpaceCrystal

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Text messaging 2FA is less secure than using an authenticator app.

Though I'm not the only person that this has happened to, as you can see through here:

Nintendo Support

Find information, resources, troubleshooting guides and more for Nintendo Switch Family, Nintendo 3DS Family, and other systems, games, and accounts.

Nintendo Support

Find information, resources, troubleshooting guides and more for Nintendo Switch Family, Nintendo 3DS Family, and other systems, games, and accounts.

Not everyone wants to keep using the app just to sign in & access their account.

Not really sure why you decided to call out Nintendo for something which you personally messed up on by not saving codes or maybe the Google Autheitcator app itself is malfunctioning on your device

Yeah. I guess I'll have to contact support later on & see if they could fix things up.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to kick you while you're down, but I feel like what you're complaining about is kinda the point of the process? You may not love the 2FA, that's fair, but your issue mostly seems to be it working as intended.

Jun 2, 2019

No, they actually though it throughly, app based 2fA is way more secure than SMS or e-mail based 2fA. Is not their fault you effed up.

Oct 27, 2017

It's my understanding that text messages are the least safe option when it comes to 2FA. Honestly, OP, I think the blame here is not Nintendo's. You didn't save your codes and you're very against the basic concept of 2FA, it seems to me.

Also, use Authy. Google Authenticator is... lacking, to put it mildly.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
This is where you're losing me. I even tested it just now, and if I uninstall Google Authenticator, I don't have access to any codes upon reinstallation. (I used a backup code to log back in, and as I use a different 2FA app I didn't lose access to any other accounts, for those worried.) It's as if I never set up 2FA on any account.

The 6-digit code you're getting is listed as for your Nintendo account inside the app? With your email and everything?

OP
OP
SpaceCrystal

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This is where you're losing me. I even tested it just now, and if I uninstall Google Authenticator, I don't have access to any codes upon reinstallation. (I used a backup code to log back in, and as I use a different 2FA app I didn't lose access to any other accounts, for those worried.) It's as if I never set up 2FA on any account.

The 6-digit code you're getting is listed as for your Nintendo account inside the app? With your email and everything?

What I'm saying, is that you automatically get a 6-digit code the moment you access the app in order to help you log into your My Nintendo account. Sorry for confusing you.

Last edited:

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Works for me ever since they implemented it, better than Sony's even as Nintendo have an option for App authentication rather than just SMS.

it's a very standard implementation they use, if anything it sounds like you've done something wrong or are referencing the wrong 2FA token.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have multiple accounts / another email address that might actually be the Nintendo account tied to that Authenticator?

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I used 2FA to add money on my 3DS account like 2 days ago and had no issue, they might be going through maintenance, try contacting Nintendo if the issue persists in a few hours.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying, is that you automatically get a 6-digit code the moment you access the app in order to help you log into your My Nintendo account.
I can't really help any further, as I can't reproduce this. The only 6-digit codes I get are from previously set-up accounts; on a clean install of the app, there are no codes, even if the app was installed previously. If you launch the app and there's a code sitting there under "Nintendo Account", then you couldn't have just downloaded the app; it was already there, and 2FA was already set up. Which would be a good thing, but for some reason it's not helping you.

Do you have multiple accounts / another email address that might actually be the Nintendo account tied to that Authenticator?
Seconding this. This is also why I asked if the email listed in Authenticator is the same as the one you're using to log in.

OP
OP
SpaceCrystal

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I used 2FA to add money on my 3DS account like 2 days ago and had no issue, they might be going through maintenance, try contacting Nintendo if the issue persists in a few hours.

Yeah, I'll have to contact their support once they're open.

Seconding this. This is also why I asked if the email listed in Authenticator is the same as the one you're using to log in.

I used to sign in through Gmail, but have changed my E-mail address to my Protonmail E-mail. That was a while back ago.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll have to contact their support once they're open.

I used to sign in through Gmail, but have changed my E-mail address to my Protonmail E-mail. That was a while back ago.

hmmm, on your switch itself, go to your account info on the eshop and see what email address it shows. I have a hunch this is the issue.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
hmmm, on your switch itself, go to your account info on the eshop and see what email address it shows. I have a hunch this is the issue.
It's definitely not that as the OP has already confirmed to have deleted the Google Authenticator app, and they never wrote down the backup codes.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you made a mistake, OP. 2FA via an authenticator application is the current safest way to do it. It's time to get used to it.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely not that as the OP has already confirmed to have deleted the Google Authenticator app, and they never wrote down the backup codes.
Yeah, he needs to contact Nintendo with some form of authentication to remove the 2FA, if it is even possible.
If they can't he won't be able to login into his account ever again.

Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with Google Authenticator? The whole app is one screen with a list of codes. I genuinely can't think of any additional features you would want.

Authy is just much more robust and safer:

authy.com

Authy vs. Google Authenticator - Authy

With every breach, every hack, every lost or stolen phone, online users have a similar thought: ā€œI hope my private data didnā€™t just leak into the vast and very dark internet.ā€ Thereā€™s a good reason to fear: once your personal data is out there, itā€™s out there for good. Thatā€™s why online security...

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Authy is just much more robust and safer:

authy.com

Authy vs. Google Authenticator - Authy

With every breach, every hack, every lost or stolen phone, online users have a similar thought: ā€œI hope my private data didnā€™t just leak into the vast and very dark internet.ā€ Thereā€™s a good reason to fear: once your personal data is out there, itā€™s out there for good. Thatā€™s why online security...

Ah, multi-device support and a desktop app. Those are indeed good features.

Deleted member 44122

op needs to contact nintendo and prove that its actually his account, then they can remove the 2fa for him. deleting the 2fa app and not saving/writing down the backup codes is neither the fault of the 2fa app nor nintendo. the switch and website dont even ask you for a code after the very first login, its one of the least annoying services in that regard.

What's wrong with Google Authenticator? The whole app is one screen with a list of codes. I genuinely can't think of any additional features you would want.
backups or support for multiple devices for example. those features would arguably make the app less secure though.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It's my understanding that text messages are the least safe option when it comes to 2FA. Honestly, OP, I think the blame here is not Nintendo's. You didn't save your codes and you're very against the basic concept of 2FA, it seems to me.

Also, use Authy. Google Authenticator is... lacking, to put it mildly.

use 1Password instead šŸ˜Ž

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Come on now. As others have said app-based 2FA is a more secure alternative to SMS 2FA.

You've seemingly uninstalled the app with your MFA tokens on and are now bitching about it.

Deleted member 56457

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Please add 2 step verification to your accounts. There's a big demand of people stealing twitch accounts so they can donate to their favorite streamers without paying much. My friend just got hit for 2 grand yesterday by Russian hackers.

trineo_feo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really sorry OP, but you made a mistake, I don't think this is Nintendo's fault. If you didn't want to bother to properly use 2FA I don't know why you enabled it in the first place