AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be honest: this is basically what I wanted New Super Mario Bros to be, in look and style.

The game is unfinished, and who knows if it'll ever be. I just look at this and wish it was made by Nintendo. Maybe not literally this, but the spirit of it, masterfully produced and polished by the wizards at Nintendo.

Last edited:

themadswagger

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
78407e63dcd91e5d0605eaf6e0dc69fc.gif

It's pretty much a Mario game with the graphics of a Wario Land game.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have long since said Wario Land Shake It should be how 2D Mario looks.

I want to play a game that looks just like Yoichi Kotabe's artwork.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't really like the jump physics. It's too floaty. It's almost like cape Mario in Super Mario World.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's got that weird try-hard to be badass thing going that fans like to inject into Mario for some reason and that's off-putting. Pretty good animation, though.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
It has that weird overdesigned art style that's hard to put one's finger on but looks distinctly non-official-Mario-platformer yet is constantly chosen for these things.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I am not really sure I like this specific art style but I would be all for a new 2D artwork Mario game.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I want to know how everyone is seeing angry mario in all this

he looks even more vacant than usual to my eyes, and everything else is as chipper as always

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
That looks so much better than NSMB it's almost funny.

The animation of the characters is AMAZING. Also makes me want to replay Wario Land Shake It. I don't know why Nintendo doesn't try pixel art again with Mario. This looks so amazing.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It looks floaty and slow.

But I'd love a purely 2D Mario like this, just with classic Mario physics.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Yeah, I brought this very fan game up in that thread lamenting the wait for a new MK/2D Mario.

It's not so much the game itself, or the specific asthetic, it's more that looking at something like that makes me crave for Nintendo to pull as far away from the incredibly tame NSMB series as much as possible.

Something like this illustrates the idea that Nintendo has so many options and directions to go in and that I hope they step up to the plate with something wonderful when the time is right.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just went ahead and played the demo from MFGG, liked it quite a bit.

I don't necessarily think 2D Mario needs to go back to pixel art or even handdrawn art (as much as I would love both) to retain that expressiveness. I actually think Mega Man 11 mostly hits the mark when it comes to sticking to the nature of the old games despite being 2.5D.

Link's Awakening for Switch also has a great 'Mario' art style (helped by the fact that there are quite a few Mario enemies in there).

What I find weird is that the 3D World Mario Maker levels look more beautiful than the NSMB style even though they're... very nearly the same art style? I would genuinely prefer a '3D World' styled 2D Mario game and yes, I know how weird that sounds.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It has that weird overdesigned art style that's hard to put one's finger on but looks distinctly non-official-Mario-platformer yet is constantly chosen for these things.
OK, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way.
This is really well done, but it ain't Mario. The run cycle and jump look especially off.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Not really impressed with this one. But I really do wanna see a masterfully animated 2D Mario thats not essentially 3D models in 2D but proper 2D.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Artstyle actually looks like generic mobile spritework.

Nothing really special. Same for the gameplay, which doesn't really feel Mario due to the lack of theme.

Last edited:

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks a lot like a platformer sequel to Mario vs. Donkey Kong to me, and I really didn't like Mario vs. DK.

Then again, my dream 2D Mario aesthetic is for a 2.5D Mario game that leans in hard on the stage play aesthetic that Mario 3 teased. I want Mario to do community theater and commit to the bit as hard as Yoshi did arts and crafts or Kirby did claymation.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
FYI I don't think the developer of the fangame appreciates the whole "THIS SHOULD BE AN OFFICIAL GAME."/"NINTENDO SHOULD HIRE THIS GUY" kind of thing. Just let fangames be fangames lol

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
OK, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way.
This is really well done, but it ain't Mario. The run cycle and jump look especially off.
Right? It's like, in trying to add additional personality, they somehow managed to suck all the actual Mario-ness of it - and this is like the 5th time or so I've seen a similar artstyle used in a Mario fan game. Are these being pulled from some online art dump or something? I'm so confused.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I love how this looks. Great animation work. Don't really see the "slow floaty" gameplay some of you are noticing.

I hated how NSMB looks. Even back when it was new.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to enter and say nah dog, but it really does look impressive and with thought put into it.

The only thing that i dont really like animation wise are the flash when he strikes something and the coins rotating looking weirdly flat on the sides and round in one of the faces.

Evn with the 3 hit system from super mario odyssey i would prefered if in the last hit he would stil be small mario.

Liked a lot the transition from ghe end of the misty 1-1 to the rainy 1-2.
It reminds me of something wario land would do, but mario really needs to step up i this department i think.

But at the end of the day i dont want more pixelart 2d mario, it still looks indie (not in a bad way, but i prefer if nintendo didnt go this way with future 2d mario).

Now, what 2d mario REALLY needsis being "cell animated" to make it look like Kotabe's artstyle.
Becuase fuck nsnb artstyle mediocrity, and while better (and wouldnt surprise me they went this way in the future) the 3d world artstyle in 2d still have that generic air that im not a fan of, something that a feel similarly with Universal's SNW. Its incredibly safe and generic, though it can change by making crazy looking stages like the best ones from 3d world instead of the same grass, desert, snow, lava shit they do for 2d.

Kotabe Nintendo, KOTABE!!!!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Looks a lot like a platformer sequel to Mario vs. Donkey Kong to me, and I really didn't like Mario vs. DK.

Then again, my dream 2D Mario aesthetic is for a 2.5D Mario game that leans in hard on the stage play aesthetic that Mario 3 teased. I want Mario to do community theater and commit to the bit as hard as Yoshi did arts and crafts or Kirby did claymation.

Yes, please. I love this idea.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly what I want, but pretty damn cool. The best thing about this (other than pixel art) is that its not afraid to riff on and remix classic Mario elements. Instead of being the same 2D Mario we've been getting forever, it mixes classic elements up just enough to feel like fresh, as opposed to the stagnation Nintendo has carefully been cultivating.

Also, unlike NSMB, it doesn't feel sterile.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Nice spritework. I think the lighting flashes also revealed hidden blocks...? That would be a good gimmick.